Your First Gun , And Do You Still Have It?

Thanks for sharing the pheasant stories, Stephen. My 12 ga. model 12 trap gun was built in 1939 & I have had it since I was about 13 or so. It saw a lot of days in the field & could use a refinish/restore job. I have several other shotguns but the model 12 is the one that feels the most natural.

I was given a Browning Semi-auto .22 when I was 4. It came from my grandfather who I am named after. Still have it and I'll never get rid of it. Looks like this only with some darkening of the wood due to age. I had a scope on it for a long time but it got dinged in a move and I haven't replaced it. My kids shot it (although they all have guns of their own) last year. The bottom discharge can be surprising if you're wearing a shirt with loose sleeves. :)

Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-m.jpg

Ray, does the little Browning .22 have a case? The one I remember broke down & the case looked like it should hold a clarinet or something. I do remember the hot cases on the wrist!

No, I don't have the case but, it does break down. Flip a little locking switch, pull the "bolt", and give the barrel a 1/4 turn. Sure makes cleaning a breeze.

I fired a both eyes open shot.

That's why you got him. :D I always shoot both eyes open, you don't have depth perception with one closed.

I bagged a few birds with my Superposed, it's a quick upland gun with those 26" barrels.

I was given a Browning Semi-auto .22 when I was 4. It came from my grandfather who I am named after. Still have it and I'll never get rid of it. Looks like this only with some darkening of the wood due to age. I had a scope on it for a long time but it got dinged in a move and I haven't replaced it. My kids shot it (although they all have guns of their own) last year. The bottom discharge can be surprising if you're wearing a shirt with loose sleeves. :)

Semi-Auto-22-Grade-I-MID-021001-m.jpg

I have one of those N.I.B. from Sears bought in '64 or '65. I'd have to dig out the receipt.

Ruger 10/22 bought about 28 years ago and of course I still have it. It has a lot of company these day though. ;)

My father gave me my first gun back when I was ten. A Harrington & Richardson Model 402, .410 pump. I still have it and love to shoot trap with it.

A few years ago my father gave me his fist gun, a Iver Johnson single shot, break breech .410.

My father was not going to get me a gun, come hell or high water. I found a guy in high school that was selling a single shot Remington. It did not even have the grooves for a scope so I took it to a gunsmith and had him add a mount to the top so I could add a scope that was removable to get to the iron sights too. He did a great job. I got caught with my bubbys, marching through the woods by a Radnor Township cop. No single projectiles were aloud in Radnor. My dad had to come down to the police station to get me. He was mad, but the let them hold it for a year, until I was sixteen at which time I was able to retrieve my prize. I was grateful to him for that.

I still have it, it is a bit rusty but still fires and is quite accurate. With a single shot, you learn to make that first shot count. I was the squirrel head shooter. You have to save that good meat. :thmbsp:

My firs gun was a Remington Score master .22 caliber bolt action rifle. It was my Dads first gun. He got it when he was 10. I got it when I was 13. My son will get it when he is 40(if he behaves). Actually, I will likely give it to him on his next birthday at age 14.

I can shoot a 50 cent size pattern at 100yds with it. Great rifle and lots of memories with it. I bet I have killed a thousand rats and maybe that many rabbits with it too.

A .22LR semi-auto, single-stack magazine fed, Coast to Coast Hardware Model 42 (store branded Marlin Model 70). No longer have it due to stupidity.

Last edited:
Lesee, in order:
Rifles -
Ruger M77 Compact .257 Roberts
Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag
Ruger Mini-14 Bicentennial full auto (legal conversion & properly transferred)
Ruger 10/22
Ruger M77 .22 (my favorite)
Browning BAR 30-06
Ruger Mini-14

Pistols -
Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum 6 1/2" barrel
Taurus PT-99
Detonics Pocket 9

Been reloading ammo since I was 12, and to date have yet to sell a firearm.

In 1976, at the ripe old age of 18, I bought myself a Ruger 10/22 for the handsome price of $49.95...

I don't have that particular Ruger 10/22, but do have a newer stainless steel one. Oh, and the new one cost more than the first one. :D

Retro

First gun, and still have it.

Ruger Security Six.

Attachments

• Ruger Security 6.jpg
    Ruger Security 6.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 8
Mossburg lever action tube feed 22LR, a Christmas present around about fourteen I'm guessing. Still shoot it from time to time.

First gun I bought was a Colt 1911 GM 9mm MKIV 70 series and still have it too.

Barney

Last edited:
I was about 10, had a Ithaca Model 49 single shot lever action .22, would love to have it back.

mine was winchester 1200.

still have it, but changed a lot over the years. after hurting my right shoulder, i got M&P 15-22. haven't used it much, but it's really fun to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom