Your FIVE Favorites?

I feel so "ordinary" and middle class when I read some of these lists. I do have a Rolex Submariner but I bought it in Zurich in 1970 for $130. I can't afford to have it serviced. A lot more expensive than Terry Dewick.

Amazing. I bought mine for the exact same price at a PX in Hong Kong in 1969. I worked underwater at times and I needed a good waterproof watch. The PX sold only two good waterproof watches, the Submariner for $130, and a really ugly-ass orange dial Zodiac for about $90. I didn't know anything about Rolexes at the time, but I now wish I'd bought at least ten of them and kept them boxed up. Oh well.

About ten years ago I had to buy a replacement band/bracelet, and I remember it was over $300, more than twice what I paid for the watch! :cool:

The Zodiac Sea Wolf was a snap - back plated brass cased watertight watch, a comparative disappointment to the bullet machined stainless steel screw backed Oyster Submariner. The Seiko Diver otoh was a successful quality cased challenge to the durable Submariner at a substantial savings.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks in no small part to fluctuations in exchange between the dollar and franc, Rolex values have definitely outpaced inflation by a rather wide margin. But then I wonder if a McIntosh preamp in 1970 started at the equivalent of 4000.00 in today's money (2500 if you want to include the D100). I doubt it.

Amazing. I bought mine for the exact same price at a PX in Hong Kong in 1969. I worked underwater at times and I needed a good waterproof watch. The PX sold only two good waterproof watches, the Submariner for $130, and a really ugly-ass orange dial Zodiac for about $90. I didn't know anything about Rolexes at the time, but I now wish I'd bought at least ten of them and kept them boxed up. Oh well.

About ten years ago I had to buy a replacement band/bracelet, and I remember it was over $300, more than twice what I paid for the watch! :cool:
More trivia from 1970. In Switzerland....a Tudor Submariner cost $95 (I would have bought it but it had the ugly hour hand), a GMT (that I liked but couldn't afford) was about $180 and a President was about $950. Remember, gold was $35 and the exchange rate was SF 4/$. I was making $11,200 gross. I actually was not after a Submariner. I was really after an Accutron Astronaut but because it was American made simply did not exist in Switzerland. I was about to come back home and chose the Rolex as a substitute in the last store I visited because it did look nice. I remember asking the saleswoman why is the Rolex better than the watch next to it? "Because it's a Rolex." Why was I so dumb to ask. My wife bought me the GMT I wanted as a wedding present in 1976 in the US for $550. I saw one of the current GMT versions in a jewelry store a few weeks ago for over $7000. Stainless steel!! As I mentioned in my earlier post, factory servicing seems to be in the $700 range. Stupid.

The Grateful Dead
Ramblers
Cannabis
Converse All Stars
Saturday

Attachments

• 19743_230499198812_8198744_n.jpg
    19743_230499198812_8198744_n.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 22
Here are my 5 favorites :beer:

*Mcintosh
*Sansui
*JBL4343
*Kubel 181
*Vintage RC 70's

oldsui70:music:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mcintosh:MC2600/C40 Sansui:AU20000/TU9900/AU9500/TU9500 Kensonic:C200
JBL:4343 Sonus Faber:Grand Piano Home

Attachments

• Mcintosh.jpg
    Mcintosh.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Sansui.jpg
    Sansui.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 8
  • JBL 4343.jpg
    JBL 4343.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 6
  • KUBEL 181.jpg
    KUBEL 181.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Vintage RC 70'S.jpg
    Vintage RC 70'S.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 10
Here are my 5 favorites :beer:

*Mcintosh
*Sansui
*JBL4343
*Kubel 181
*Vintage RC 70's

oldsui70:music:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool I used to race RC 1/8 scale nitro car and boats.:thmbsp:

Hello 4-2-7,

Wow really? My collection is 1:8 scale mainly like Associated,Delta and also Thorp.
I love 70's an American Race Pan Car so much. Even Now I sometime drive it on the track.
Here is my own site about it. If interesting, Pls take a look it.
www.assocista.jp/home.html

Your 1:1 scale car is very nice one. Cheers for it!:beer chug:

oldsui70
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not in front of my pc presently but I do have at least one suitable pic of mine ... 80s pro street is alive and well!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 114
About the time the GTO and other muscle cars were becoming popular Ralph Steins "Treasury of the Automobile" came to our school library and took my attention and stole my heart, so I became interested instead in the great pre WW-II classic cars and Steins stories about them. Got involved with the local chapter of the VMCCA and acquired a series of lesser examples starting with a 1924 Model 'T' running gear and lastly a 1931 Reo Flying Cloud Sport Coupe, bought 1965 and sold 1972. The 1968 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow we were fooling with and recently sold was another period in time, another dream lived and checked off the bucket list.
Still, it's the great cars of the 1920's and 1930s that personally please me most tho the roadability of most of them is severely dated. Check Jay Leno and his vintage Bugatti GP car for one of the exceptions, the superb contemporary Alfa Romeos were another exception.
My 5 faves of anything? Still thinking it over.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello 4-2-7,

Wow really? My collection is 1:8 scale mainly like Associated,Delta and also Thorp.
I love 70's an American Race Pan Car so much. Even Now I sometime drive it on the track.
Here is my own site about it. If interesting, Pls take a look it.
www.assocista.jp/home.html

Your 1:1 scale car is very nice one. Cheers for it!:beer chug:

oldsui70
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have lots of nice photos from back in the 90s of my RCs but I would need to scan them.

I'm not in front of my pc presently but I do have at least one suitable pic of mine ... 80s pro street is alive and well!

attachment.php

That's awesome D and looks like you love it. :thmbsp:

Mine is under a car cover moving blankets and a ton of shit on top of it right now.:thumbsdn:

Not necessarily in this order but a list nonetheless....(material things only. God, family country need not be listed)

McIntosh
Corvette (mine but love all of them)
Rolex
Diamond pinky ring left to me by my father
Vinyl records
My old Makita router
Music (love everything from Sinatra to Pink Floyd)
Baseball hats (wouldn't be a weekend without wearing a hat)

Back
Top Bottom