Your Flat Screen TV mounted above your fireplace??

Axcel

Accuphase all the way
I have been toying with the idea of mounting my fs tv above my fireplace and have a question. It seems like a common idea but the heat above the tv when the fp is in use is very hot. Any concerns??

Personally I wouldn't do it.. not only the heat, but like with my fireplace, when you first light it, there is always a little smoke that escapes until the flu heats up to help pull it out.. hence the reason you see fireplaces that get used a lot with a little bit of smoke colored mantles.. I wouldn't want that on my TV.. they cost too much to do that to..

My brother-in-law has a big 'ol Sharp Aquos over his fireplace. Naturally, after I bought my TV, he had to get a bigger one.

When I bought mine, the people told me that is was a bad idea if I used the fireplace for real fires. There is too much of a risk due to the heat.

I wouldn't do it if it's an LCD, but if it's a plasma, I'd worry about the heat from the TV cracking the chimney :D

Charles

I wouldn't do it just because that's much too high for me. You generally want a TV at eye height (while sitting).

HTML:
Personally I wouldn't do it.. not only the heat, but like with my fireplace, when you first light it, there is always a little smoke that escapes until the flu heats up to help pull it out.. hence the reason you see fireplaces that get used a lot with a little bit of smoke colored mantles.. I wouldn't want that on my TV.. they cost too much to do that to..

My thoughts exactly.

I've seen this a lot and it always puzzled me why people would want to cock their head up to watch tee vee.

Murray

I wouldn't do it just because that's much too high for me. You generally want a TV at eye height (while sitting).
I agree. I have mine mounted higher than I've had in the past but I haven't noticed any issues with it. My plasma would be too high above my fireplace.

IMG_4630.jpg

I agree with others, its too high (32-36 or so is usual bottom of screen to floor distance) and the potential issue of a fireplace, I think many probably dont actually use the fireplace they install a unit over. Maybe some have gas but I cant imagine any installer (and lets assume a majority farm out that installation) would think a wood burning frequently used fireplace would be a good idea.

We put ours over the fireplace just because that was the only viable place for it and we never use the wood burning brick fireplace (which by itself is probably stupid but whatever). It's high, but ... we get used to it. If we ever do I'll keep in mind to make sure we don't melt the TV.

Michael

If you look close at my system pic in bottom you will see a fireplace behind my speakers which presented the same problem we talk about here, either place it high above and well....its expensive or figure plan B.
Plan B was a Projector and a 9ft roll up screen, its used and 720P but this Panasonic PTAX1000 is amazing and only cost me $600, UPS trashed the used model so I got a brand new one from factory, luck came from unlucky experience and I know a Projector wont work in some rooms and situations but if you can control light you may be surprised how cheap and awesome it can be with a projection system, plus its out of the way when not in use!

I agree with others, its too high (32-36 or so is usual bottom of screen to floor distance) and the potential issue of a fireplace, I think many probably dont actually use the fireplace they install a unit over. Maybe some have gas but I cant imagine any installer (and lets assume a majority farm out that installation) would think a wood burning frequently used fireplace would be a good idea.

My brother and daughter both have theirs above the fire place - I do not. As far as cocking my neck it didn't seem to bother me but I think looking at the screen at that angle doesn't present the best view. My picture is much better than both that I compared to and ours is a lesser unit apparently than either of the 2 I was comparing it to. I've got satellite and my bro and daughter have FIOS with HDTV - I think my picture is much more clear and colors are perfect. On the 2 above the fireplace I see distortion and more white specially at the bottom of both TVs. Could be the angle, could be settings, I dunno but we have our LCD at the proper eye level and it looks much better IMHO.
I've got HUGE fireplace too and it would be much easier to put the TV above the mantel but it's pretty high at like 42" and that would be the bottom of the TV - WAY to high in my opinion. Above the fireplace is not the optimal position but if it gets down to WAF and flat screen over fireplace or NO flat screen, well then I'd prolly suffer and live with it and get an angle mount and tip it out at the top. I've got a 42" LCD Vizio and have been VERY satisfied.

Cheers,

Bob

Studies have been made with respect to viewing television and for a general rule, the center of the screen should be at eye level when seated. This has to do with neck strain.If you were seated 20' back,then I don't think it really matters how high the screen is, but how many people sit that far back.

Personally,I have no idea why someone would mount a screen above a fireplace,no matter what the reason.Form vs. function???? Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I've never liked the above the fireplace mounting trend.

It puts the TV way too high up, unless you have a really long room and you're sitting 20 feet away from the TV anyway.

I've had my Phillips Plasma above our fire place for over 4 years now with no issues. The fireplace is gas but we run it alot during the winter and have no problems with the tv overheating. Without a doubt the tv is higher than the recommended height everyone is talking about here but we've adjusted just fine. I used a tilting mount with the tv tilted down toward the couch.

Our house is old and the living room was designed to be centered around the fire place. Putting the tv somewhere else just presented too many problems. I say if that's what you want then go for it.
Tiga

Back
Top Bottom