Your having audio issues? Maybe the troubleshooting flowchart is the solution.

doucanoe

Registered Audio Abuser
I found this over on the Van Alstine site. Frank has put this "Troubleshooting Flowchart" together for your audio problem solving needs. It would be interesting to put it to the test and see if he has it all covered.

RC

Attachments

• troubleshooting_flowchart.gif
    troubleshooting_flowchart.gif
    20.9 KB · Views: 7,829
Didn't see that at the end of the problem paths Nate. I need to check the chart again. :lmao:

RC

Seriously, though... it looks pretty good. I sold a receiver to a guy once who called me later in the day, fuming mad. Claimed I'd deceived him and sold him a broken piece of junk, that he was getting no sound from one channel.

He called again a little later to explain that he'd forgotten to connect a speaker wire...

Redboy said:
Seriously, though... it looks pretty good. I sold a receiver to a guy once who called me later in the day, fuming mad. Claimed I'd deceived him and sold him a broken piece of junk, that he was getting no sound from one channel.

He called again a little later to explain that he'd forgotten to connect a speaker wire...

I have done stuff like that more times than I care to remember. Not busting balls about a so-called defective unit but just plain missing the glaringly obvious. The last time you guys were over I was fighting a no output issue with that HK CD player I found. After going over all connections more than once, Gary mentioned the level/vol. control on the front panel. I checked and sure enough it was dialed back to zero. Brought it up a notch of two and bingo, we got music! I probably would be still trying to sort it out if he wouldn't of mentioned it. :scratch2:

RC

RC

blue_lateral said:

I also operate like this, though I am pretty excited to see it written up!

One time I was at work and my boss (who is really a loony person, no joke) bought this new broom. The blue broom.

Sweeping at work is like the job you do when your boss is there and there is nothing else to do, but you will get butchered if she sees you not working. You know, dust, its really there, but you can't see it! Anyway, I was sweeping our carpets (yes, carpet) and the broom was all dusty, so I took it outside. I started beating it against the sidewalk, just the end of it, and the stupid plastic thing broke. Since I was already irritated about it, I took it out to the trash room and broke it in half, figuring no one had seen me and that would be that.

Next day at work, I am telling my other co-slaves about it, and they all get a kick out of it. But my boss... she came in, and all she could think about was the blue broom. She couldn't find it anywhere, apparently had been looking for hours and hours (which is what she always says). Apparently Kathy stole it, so I should call her. She has it on tape, but of course, Kathy won't pick up the phone. But she makes me keep on calling and calling her. I suggest that maybe she left it at home, to which I was called an ass for. She finally gives it up. For that day.

Apparently that broom was very near and dear to her heart, so periodically she would bring up how Kathy stole it, and how awful it was, and she would make me look all over the store for it. Probably for, ohhhh, about 6 months.

Now, I would have given it back to her broken, but the thing is that she gets furiously angry when her things break, even though the receipt is probably on her desk. Returning it is not an option, you are royally screwed. Unfortunately, the flow chart didn't work.

Anyway, back to the thread, enough boring stories.

Colin

Yamaha Pre Amp C-45 damage

I found this over on the Van Alstine site. Frank has put this "Troubleshooting Flowchart" together for your audio problem solving needs. It would be interesting to put it to the test and see if he has it all covered.

RC

Hello everybody,

I have a Yamaha Pre Amp C-45 that needs to be repaired.Someone have a block diagram for I to try repair it?
Tank you very much.

Monteiro
Porto - Portugal armandomonteiro@iol.pt

I made up a troubleshooting flow chart for a clueless supervisor I had one time. It only consisted of 3 boxes, first box says "Does it work? yes-->Don't Fxxx with it. No-->Call somebody.

I just tried it with my own problem -- which is a doozy (feel free to take a look, it's now two other threads in here) -- and I notice two things about this flowchart that detract from it, somewhat: first, some of the paths seem to unreasonably exclude the possibility of RFI or EMI on the line (or line problems generally), and, second, some of the symptoms in the questions are too inclusive to suggest as unified a path as they do. "Buzzing," for example, can mean a lot of different things -- not all of which are obviously speaker problems.

Just a few random thoughts from someone who was hoping this thing would answer his question....

Oh;, Lord. I have a Sony ST6800 SD receiver, and it is down on the left channel, not dead,but much lower output than the right. Cleaned the balance pot and switched the speakers, left to right. Left is down in output, but not distored. Any ideas? thanks, ron

Any chance you could make this BIGGER to read, my small monitor won't allow the fonts to grow. .. LOL :banana:

RC

Hi Folks,
I have an issue with the Right channel (no sound) RT-909, after all the troubleshooting still no sound on that channel. Is it possible a fuse is the cause?

Back
Top Bottom