Your having audio issues? Maybe the troubleshooting flowchart is the solution.

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by doucanoe, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Now we only have to persuade people to read it.

2. dumptruck

dumptruck Lunatic Member

This chart says that if a power amp hums or hisses when nothing is connected to its input, the amp is broken, which is often going to be wrong.

3. BoWeaver1

BoWeaver1 New Member

Hello friends. I joined the site to seek answers to a problem I am having with my SONY STR-GX59ES. Also this is my first post so not even sure Im in the right thread to ask this Q. I want to find the problem myself since I'm kind of obsessive about "fixing" stuff myself. (note; I'm not an electronics/audiophile type person but I have tech skills). Q: The red "P" light comes on soon after power on. I know this is a "Protect" function caused either by a short or speaker impedance set wrong. All sound disappears and when it used to remain on for a while for longer periods (has gotten worse lately) It seemed to happen on volume up. Since I know its not "Impedance" can anyone point me towards what might be causing this "Protect" function to activate????

4. Knnthwlsn

Knnthwlsn New Member

Pioneer SA-7100

Just received a SA-7100 and the Tone Defeat Switch has to be on to hear anything. I am a beginner and not too versed in repair. Any suggestions? Thank You

5. gslikker

gslikker Super Member

Additionally, if it is NOT humming with the music but the music is distorted, oh yes, your speakers are defective. :yes:
    Conclusion, according this flowchart a distorting amp always has bad loudspeakers.

I was reading this flowchart for fun.
    In the real, going by it does not work for me.
    Somehow, I am always stuck in the very first loop.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  6. Standingwave

Standingwave Member

Hmmm. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX27TX receiver. Just before I went on vacation two weeks ago I had decided to clean out the rats nest of wires behind that unit. Disconnected many speaker wires..I had A and B connections for speakers in two rooms. Didn't really need that and other similar such wiring decisions were made. Reduced the rats nest but a few days later the receiver went dead after 15 years of faultless use. There was no action when turning on the power switch--the standby light did not come on. Of course I checked the obvious-- unit plugged into AC etc etc. Now I used the flow chart (seen while I am still away from home on vacation). I still can't see how fooling around with speaker wires could ever cause the problem but I will certainly recheck when I head back to Canada. Thanks for the chart though...great idea.

7. Standingwave

Standingwave Member

Just had a thought re the Pioneer VSX problem in the previous message. If I r ember correctly, when you have speakers plugged into both A and B speaker connectors you gave to set certain impedance settings depending on the speakers in use. As reported previously I had recently disconnected the B speakers--but neglected to do anything about revising impedance settings. I can't really see how that would make the amp lock up as it now is but......?.?? Will check back in Canada. Anyway, a thought to consider.

8. DSD-13

DSD-13 Active Member

I once thought that I burned out a part of my JVC R-S55 as it 'Didn't work anymore.' I was really pissed at myself. it ended up to be that both speaker set selector switched were off XP

9. cwall99

cwall99 Addicted Member

Basic troubleshooting 101... Start with the simple stuff, and rule out all the components that reside between your chair and your stereo first. People get annoyed when you ask questions like, "Is it turned on?" or "Is the tape monitor on?" or, as mentioned earlier, "Are your speaker cables connected properly?", but, more often than not, it seems, these take care of the lion's share of the issues. The Pareto Principle at work!

Actually, it reminds me of a bit of contract work I did for a local utility. They were installing a bunch of enterprise-wide applications, and had taped all their systems' flowcharts up on the wall. There was a central element of that flowchart that fit on maybe a D-size plot, and took care of probably 90% of the issues that might arise. The rest of the flowchart was probably 40 feet wide and three feet high, and took care of the other 10 percent of the issues.

10. Bassblaster

Bassblaster Super Member

"Is your power amp turned on" :jump:Ive done that once before :rflmao:

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  11. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

They should include that chart as resource material for newbies.....as a link up top right linked to our names !

Like, dude...check out the chart !

12. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

13. WaynerN

WaynerN Super Member

[​IMG]

Here is the chart.

Wayner
    Audio by Van Alstine Associate.

Bassblaster likes this.
  14. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Look up "how to clean speaker relay" on YouTube. That's the next step if you had a flowchart.

15. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Check to make sure that when you reconnected the speaker wires that there aren't any strands shorting the two speaker posts. Just one tiny hair thin wire strand across both connectors can send the amp into protected mode or blow the main fuse.

16. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Active Member

Gene Ween? Dean Ween?!?! Never thought I'd see this avatar on this site! :trebon:

Redboy likes this.
  17. OnTheBlitz

OnTheBlitz It's all good..Hunter my Dog Loves Pink Floyd :) Subscriber

That is surprisingly very good. Thank you for sharing.

18. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Which tape loop? <G>

Flowcharts are handy sometimes just to figure out how to turn the damn system on ...

[​IMG]

OnTheBlitz likes this.