Your Impressions of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5vi

GPOW

What do you think of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5vi?

Do you think it is a good one for iphone?

Last edited:
They have a good noise cancellation, and it comes with a variety of earbuds. You can use the one who are most comfy for you...and yes they will be fine with your iPhone.

:nono: Stay away from Ultimate Ears.......:thumbsdn: I purchased a pair
from Headroom.com(great company:thmbsp:) about 4 years ago, they fell
apart,call up there customer service about problem,told me to send them back
to them,they'd replace them (the lady I talked to was very nice & helpful )
but......the replacements a somewhat different design.Fast-forward 1-year,
right side stops working,bad cable.....call company,they send new one,free
$0.00 of charge. Six months later the cable FAILS again:saywhat: Call up for
a new cable replacement,this time I get the-run-around( extremely rude people
tell me I have to pay for new wire-cable $15 but it back ordered for 3 months
WTF !!!! use my Ipod earbuds phones while I wait:mad:I call up the guys at Headroom and ask them whats going on with U.E. they tell me the company was
sold and they won't be selling there products no longer.Get my replcement cable
3 moths later...........And guess what ? that cable FAILS !!!, 6 months in GGRRR!!! End up shelling out $ again for cable( Make in China)

Ultimate Ears ........poor quality, Sh*T,customer care !!!:thumbsdn:

Hifi:

Sorry about your bad experience, it is frustrating to pay for stuff that is flawed to begin with and/or breaks in no time.

However: It is my impression that this is the nature of many IEM's. (I know this statement will tempt a flood of users claiming to have 15 year old IEM's that never failed them, even on their dog sledding trip in the Arctic after a polar bear tried to eat them and they wrested them out of their gaping maw intact and unharmed, etc...they are "bullet proof" or some such nonsense--as if anything can't and doesn't fail lol). IEM's (and regular OTE's) are tiny electronic devices that have thin wires that only need a little mis-tug or pull to become unattached form their connectors or loosely attached. Imo it's amazing any last as long as they do, especially with people throwing them around and picking up their DAP's/Phones by them or wrapping them around them, etc. (not at all saying you did this).

Iow: After browsing around several forums dedicated to portable audio for years, the consensus seems to be that many (most?) IEM's are fragile and kind of throwaways that last less than a year unless you are very very careful.

This is one reason I'd never spend more than $100 on any pair; that and I don't critically listen to music with IEM's (just use them for exercise/cutting the grass/odd tasks around the house) and there are several great sounding options under $100 anyway.

Anyway, GPOW, Ultimate Ears is a major and well regarded brand afaik and I myself have some models from them on my list of candidates for IEM's to replace/upgrade from my Head Direct RE2's (which, after 2 years or so, are still holding up...but I don't use them daily and am careful with them) if I ever get around to doing so lol.

You might want to check out Head-Fi's portable headphone forum to read reviews and comments about what IEM's will be the best (in terms of SQ and durability) for your needs:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/103

I never had any problems with any "freebie'' or cheap ($20 or less ) headphone
cords. and I don't abuse my phones. just plain shoddy manufacturing and
service.:thumbsdn:

I never had any problems with any "freebie'' or cheap ($20 or less ) headphone
cords. and I don't abuse my phones. just plain shoddy manufacturing and
service.:thumbsdn:

Ok, well you have a point. I have hardly researched the durability of Ultimate Ears products over the years so I simply do not know. If they are more prone to disrepair I will stay away from them. There are plenty of other makers.

I still marvel that IEM's, at least, don't break more often than they do.

Again, sorry for your bad experience. 'Tis not fun to pay for (relatively at least) expensive gear and have it screw up on you! :tears:

Just the fact that Headroom stopped carrying them,say's alot.
If you can't make a simple cable right, do you think the rest of headphone is any better....................???????:no:

I have a pair that I liked, one of the mid-range models, superfi3? metrofi? Looked identical to several other models but they only had one driver per ear.

The problem I had was with the memory wire on one side, after 18 months it broke and took out the signal wires. This was right about the same time the company was sold. When their website store came back online, I couldn't buy replacement wires for my model (was discontinued). On the new store there are replacements for a different model that the folks on head-fi.org say will fit, but its really tight.

I decided to move on to Grado SR60i's instead.

Anyhow, I liked the sound from the UE headphones I had, clean and accurate, no phony over-emphasized bass, but the memory wire design to the cables seemed destined to fail.

I just picked up a pair of Skullcandy " Ink'd (black)IEM at FYE on sale $16
$23 reg. price. Very good sound !!! better then my broken UE's, Awsome low bass detail when used with my headroom headphone amp and sounds great on my Ipod. I swapped out the stock ear tips for ones I purchased at a 100 yen
store in Tokyo, improved the performance, do to better seal :music:
BUY A Pair........ Highly Recommended....can't go wrong for $16 :thmbsp:

hELLO,
I have the Ultimate Ears 5.0's and they are amazing. I have bought and returned many, many different models. The UE 5.0's are the best. I had the 5.0 Bass Models, but it was just too much bass. The regular 5.0's are so accurate and clean. I have no issues with durability. I am rough as heck with mine also, they have been yanked out of my ears several times, by lawn mower, while cutting grass. And no problems. Many Rock Stars use these as well. I am a perfectionist with this stuff, and only want the best. Etymonic's just didn't compare at all. The company has already recently sent me another free variety of attachments for ear comfort, and are very helpful. I have the Bose QC2.0's and also BeyerDynamic DT-990's, originals, not the new remakes, which suck....but the best sound is the UE 5.0's.....Sorry you had issues, you must be doing something wrong, or just had bad luck with a faulty run, if thats possible. Ray

I just picked up a pair of Skullcandy " Ink'd (black)IEM at FYE on sale $16
$23 reg. price. Very good sound !!! better then my broken UE's, Awsome low bass detail when used with my headroom headphone amp and sounds great on my Ipod. I swapped out the stock ear tips for ones I purchased at a 100 yen
store in Tokyo, improved the performance, do to better seal :music:
BUY A Pair........ Highly Recommended....can't go wrong for $16 :thmbsp:

No, I,m not doing something wrong (???) I know shoddy,poor QC when I see it
BTW, I have a PHD in engineering. the phones that gave me the problems are
Super Fi 5 pro. Do Not Buy :thumbsdn:

ok,

Mine are a better more expensive model. I am stii using with no problems, they sound great. I have had and still have Beyer DT-990's from 1980's and Bose QC-2 and also Etymonic in ears...all very expensive. Ray

No, I,m not doing something wrong (???) I know shoddy,poor QC when I see it
BTW, I have a PHD in engineering. the phones that gave me the problems are
Super Fi 5 pro. Do Not Buy :thumbsdn:

BTW, I have a PHD in engineering.

Yea, maybe, but not in logic.

Is it possible that you just got a bad run? That your insignificant sample can not possibly account for ALL UE products over all the years? Of course. You'd literally have to test thousands of products from their line from all the years they were made to conclude that they were more defective than any other maker. Until that is done no one can rightfully conclude anything.

You got burned, it sucks, but don't over generalize or universalize and take your ONE experience as a representative sample of the whole maker and all it's models. Come on. I've seen others on other forums who have testified to their UE products lasting years without problems. So who's right? You or them or Ray above? Well no one still, because until we literally have a survey of thousands of people with all sorts of models from all time frames we do not and can not know what the situation is. And even then we have to trust they are honest. We really need a lab testing controlled study for a more definitive conclusion.

Think, don't just troll and spew your frustration on forums about a brand because you happened to have a bad experience with one product of theirs from one distributor. That's immature and irrational.

Also, Skullcandy? Are you f#ckin' kidding? Are you really trying to justify your prejudice against UE by saying that cheap horrid crap is better sounding and made? Please.

Well Said....Thats the way I needed to out it. this guy is crazy the way he trashed a top product. And if he is such an engineer, he would have returned them as soon as he received them, based on his so called crappy build quality.......like he says, an engineer would know all of that....Let him have his SkullCandy UE could not have been better with me.....they sent me a whole tin full of ear adapters to fit a variety of inner ear canals..they have been most helpful. Not sure where he is coming from....but Professionals use these things. My Model is still a 5 Pro, but were the most expensive pair.....I had both the Extra Bass, and the Regular 5 Pros....I prefer the regular...very good response. These were rated the highest at a head Phone Forum I had found online...so were Etymotic, but they hurt my inner ear, so I preferred these..Thankjs for the response......You put the Engineer in his proper place. Ray

Well Said....Thats the way I needed to out it. this guy is crazy the way he trashed a top product. And if he is such an engineer, he would have returned them as soon as he received them, based on his so called crappy build quality.......like he says, an engineer would know all of that....Let him have his SkullCandy UE could not have been better with me.....they sent me a whole tin full of ear adapters to fit a variety of inner ear canals..they have been most helpful. Not sure where he is coming from....but Professionals use these things. My Model is still a 5 Pro, but were the most expensive pair.....I had both the Extra Bass, and the Regular 5 Pros....I prefer the regular...very good response. These were rated the highest at a head Phone Forum I had found online...so were Etymotic, but they hurt my inner ear, so I preferred these..Thankjs for the response......You put the Engineer in his proper place. Ray

Thanks yourself :thmbsp:...I was trying to be nice, but I couldn't take his immature and incoherent ranting anymore. :no:

Good point...being a "phd engineer extraordinaire" as he claims (I'll believe that when I have his degree in my hand...I would hope a phd would have better grammar and be more reasonable at least...but then again...I've known too many phd's lol), he should have returned the UE's the second he received them, instantly recognizing them as such shoddy and cheap crap he thinks they are (meanwhile the Skullcandy's are not...?!). Why would he keep them and hope for the best? Doesn't add up. Nor his raving about cheap crap Skullcandy's. If he suggested a model from another well regarded brand was OMG SO MUCH BETTER!!! then that would have made some sense.

If you read up on UE's on Head-Fi and elsewhere they are well regarded, probably one of the top 5 brands actually. I'm sure if I spent the money I'd enjoy any of their models.

I merely have some Head Direct RE2's and they also came with many tips. They aren't great (mid-centric and kind of thick) but they are good enough for cutting the grass, around the house stuff, and exercising. I keep putting off getting new ones. I do sometimes hear static in them when moving around, so I guess actually they are damaged in some way. But it's not enough to worry me. I just haven't got around to getting some better IEM's yet (lots to research in the under $100 market).

Enjoy your UE IEM's as so many others do. :thmbsp:

I have to take GPOW's side on this. I am a touring musician who uses in ear monitors and have used several of the "major and well regarded" brands. UE were easily the most flimsy that I've tried. The other brands were Etymotic (didn't work out so well, but for other reasons), Westone (the UM2s are similar in sound quality and price to the UE Superfi 5s that I was using) and Futuresonics. I had 3 failures of the UEs before UE decided that they were tired of fixing them under warranty. They came apart under normal stage usage, the earpiece literally ripping apart. Bear in mind that they were sold as a professional product.

By way of comparison, I highly recommend Westone (although the UM1 is not something I would recommend for listening for pleasure. Very mid-heavy, which can be a plus for a singer. The UM2 is a good sounding monitor) as a very durable and good sounding in ear monitor. They anticipate the cable pulling out problem by having the cables detachable. The connectors make a very firm connection, so there's no problem with pulling out unintentionally. I also highly recommend Futuresonic Atrios as a very reliable low cost and good fidelity in ear monitor. Both of these have held up under a lot of abuse on a nightly basis. They are not what I would consider a throwaway designed to last less than a year. If Ultimate Ears wants to sell their product as a professional solution, they definitely need to make a much sturdier product. If I am going to spend $300 on a professional in ear monitor designed for stage use, I expect it to stand up to a certain amount of abuse.

I would think Im far more abusive than a stage singer, who knows that they have certain equipment on. I use mine to cut the grass, which is 3/4 acre, and other physical things I do, working, that I used to use my Sports Walkman for. So many times I end up pulling my shirt off, as its soaked with sweat, and yank the UE 5.0 Pro's right out of my ears...no issues whatsoever. This happens to me alot, and I could kick myself, or say, why didnt I use my Koss phones for this job..?? These are too expensive. Anyway....no damage at all, and no accidents. Even have my Ipod with heavy waterproof OtterBox Case Fall off my belt, yanking the UE cables with it, and no problem. Ive been very rough with mine, and no issues. Yet a Stage singer is tearing apart all of these top brands?? I dont quite get it. Ray

What do you think of Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5vi?

Do you think it is a good one for iphone?

Yea, maybe, but not in logic.

Is it possible that you just got a bad run? That your insignificant sample can not possibly account for ALL UE products over all the years? Of course. You'd literally have to test thousands of products from their line from all the years they were made to conclude that they were more defective than any other maker. Until that is done no one can rightfully conclude anything.

So the OP asks what people think of the UE Super.fi 5vi. HiFiHippie responds with a story about his experience with their products, which, while not a statistically significant sample, is really the only way anyone can respond to a thread like this (unless, of course, you're privy to a huge body of data about the ear buds - which I'm guessing none of us have).

He had a pretty consistent run of bad luck by the sounds of it. Not just once or twice, but every pair he had. That'd be enough to turn me off a brand, too.

The OP asked for individual thoughts about the buds, and all any of us can do is reply based on our personal experience, positive or negative. All replies to threads like this one are going to suffer from the same logical issues that you singled out HiFiHippie for.

He had four defective products over several years. That doesn't sound like a single bad production run to me, but, to your point, that's still a statistically insignificant sample size. Nevertheless, it gets back to that whole, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me," concept. He gave them four shots.

That being said, my 15 year old son goes through earbuds like they were going out of style. But he just buys the cheaper variety. He's always listening to his iPod, and I just think that the things just can't handle all the stresses and strains brought about by being a mobile device. Their need for light weight and low cost run counter to what it takes to make a really durable product.

Last edited:
Hello All,

My response about the durability, and the stresses that I put my UE buds through, are to prove the ruggedness of the product. I believe that my use of the UE Phones are a true test of reggedness, and actually stupid on my part. The OP question about if the UE 5.0 Inner Ear Buds would be good with an IPhone...is a DEFINATE YES!!! The Sound Quality of the UE 5.0 phones/buds are Phenominal. These are the BEST Sounding Phones I have ever owned. And my Point was that I have/and still own the best Phones that have been put on the Market for the pat 30 years or so. I have the beyerDynamic DT-990's...I had the $250.00 Etymotic Inner ear Buds/Phones also, and I own the Bose Quiet Comfort 2.0 Latest Edition......all of these Phones sound great with an Ipod, Iphone, or any Walkman and Home Stereo System!!! Ok, they are all expensive, all rated very High, and all Sound Excellent! However, the very BEST SOUNDING of them ALL is the Ultimate Ears Pro 5.0!!!!! I often use these, to do all of my Rugged House Work, Lawn Work, Tree and Bush Cutting, etc......and I put on my UE Pro 5.0 Phones, because they are small, and Seal Out the Noise from my Power Tools, and also Sound Absolutely Incredible...The Best! I really should be using my Economy Small Sized KOSS Buds...which have LifeTime Warranty, and were Relatively Inexpensive, but sound very nice. Not Nearly as Good as UE Pro 5.0 buds, or any of the other Top Models that I own.....but would be the Least Problem to worry about Breaking, while Im working....I get LifeTime Replacements, and would not worry about the short time Id be without them, while I shipped them to KOSS for Replacements Under warranty..

But I all too quickly put on my UE Pro 5.0 Ear Buds....they are just that Good, Great Sound, and Light Weight. They have been Caught in Tree Branches, and yanked out of my Ears, My IPOD Video Classic, which is Heavy, has Fallen from my Waste, and Taken the UE Phones Right Along with It....and Still No Problems, or Breaking, or bad Connections....So, In My Opinion, YES!!! They are an Excellent Choice for Any Kind of USE with an IPHONE. They Are the Absolute Best Sounding, and Well Built Phones that I own. And for $250.00 or so, they Should Sound Great! But I cant Say that they Should be Able to Withstand my Rugged Use of them! They are a HiFi Device, designed for Great Sound, and Enjoyment....Not for Being Beaten Around the way that I use them! You can safely order a pair, and You Will Be Very Happy, and Quite Stunned by the Absolute Clear and Detailed Sound that you will get from them. I just would not Abuse them, that is a Foolish Thing that I do, and Really Should Stop Doing.....I have Several Other Pair that I can Use for Abuse Work, and they would still sound Good Enough for what Im Doing. The UE Pro 5.0 Buds, are More for Total Enjoyment of Sound, and hearing all the Fine Detail of the Music....I am an Analog Fanatic....Not So Much Digital...and I use them In my Reel to reel Tape decks, and they bring out all of the Fine Real Analog Sound of my Open Reel tapes, and Vinyl LP's.....much better than Digital Sound, any day of the Week......But the UE Pro 5.0 Buds, can bring the Best out of Both, Digital and Analog!!!! So, Feel Safe in Buying Yourself a Pair. The People have been really Nice to me, Senty me All Kinds of Extra Adapters for my Inner Ears, and Didn't Charge me a Dime. They all Came in very Vice UE Silver Metal Boxes, that I can easily carry in my Pocket or bag, to Have a Variety of Comfortable Inner Ear Adapters, to be comfortable for long term Listening....best to ya, Ray

that you singled out HiFiHippie for.

I "singled him out" because he was ranting like an incoherent child and seems to be totally unaware of the logical fallacy(ies) he is invoking (hasty generalization/insignificant sample) because of his irrational reaction, over and over, to one specific maker based on a few products. No one else in here was acting like this.

He could have just stated his bad experience rationally (like edwinh above did), without sounding extremely prejudiced towards the maker, without raving like a lunatic about how to avoid them ALWAYS! FOREVER! VERY BAD! OMG!!! Then there would have been nothing to "single out". Just a simple: IME, here's what happened: "..." so I do not recommend them. This apparently was beyond his ability. It should not be as it is NOT beyond the scope of such threads to relate one's experience about a particular maker/brand/model without going berserk (again, edwinh did just this above).

If you wish to stick up for childish and irrational people/posts, go ahead. I will continue to point them out when I feel it is justified.

Also, why did you "single me out" for criticism when someone else itt also criticized HiFi for the same silliness? :scratch2: (Not that I care, but 'tis curious).

Back
Top Bottom