1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Your Last Concert (or two)

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Strangeband, Apr 3, 2009.

1. rocknroll1

rocknroll1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I went to see Saint Paul and the Broken Bones (if you haven't heard them do your self a favor and youtube them) about 3 months ago. Last month we saw Jason Isabel at a Hospital Benefit and also got to see the Eagles a couple of weeks earlier. In June we are going to Italy to see my daughter who is working there for the summer and will see Pearl Jam (daughter is a big fan) while there. Finally going to see Buddy Guy in July. Yes I am newly retired.

ScramMan2 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

June 1, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

60's Psyc night (Nuggets night 1)

Little Flame
    Sacred Trees
    Black Fruit
    The Hauer Things
    The Mean Reds
    The Von Howlers
    The Shriekers
    The Bugs
    The Furies
    Fire Nuns
    Hurry Up
    The Lovesores

Yup. 12 bands.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    bobsvinyl likes this.
  3. ScramMan2

June 2, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

60's Psyc night (Nuggets night 2)

Little Hexes
    The See You Next Tuesdays
    LiquidLight
    Verner Pantons
    The Reverberations
    The Pynnacles
    Love Revisited

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. olson_jr

olson_jr Beware of cake hoarders & soft shoe shufflers Subscriber

Last show I was at was Jenny Scheinman & Allison Miller's Parlour Game at the Kerrytown Concert House in Ann Arbor Michigan.

Kerrytown is my favorite place to see live music these days as it is an intimate concert house, with the emphasis on listening. No audience talking, no cell phones being held up, no bar making blender drinks, etc. One artist we recently saw said, "I am not used to this, I can actually hear myself think!"

The band included Carmen Staaf on piano, and Tony Scherr on bass, along with Jenny Scheinman playing the violin, and Allison Miller on her drums.

The music was interesting and reminiscent of Bill Brisells more Americana stuff, although I don't think Parlour jazz was a good fit for Allison Miller. She was great when playing a bit subdued, but tended to dominate most of the tunes. This group really might have worked without a drummer at all. That being said it was great to hear Allison and be close enough to point out the wingnut that she dropped while making an adjustment to her set.

Tony Scheer, long time Bill Frisell associate, was outstanding on bass.

The real surprise to both my wife and myself was the pianist Carmen Staaf. As far as I was concerned she pretty much stole the show. Will have to watch for her in the future.

IMG_1671.JPG IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1673.JPG

Dynacophil likes this.
  5. ScramMan2

June 4 , 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Amyl & The Sniffers
    King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Sold out.

6. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

I keep meaning to see a King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard concert. How were they?

7. abpeep

abpeep OU Sucks!! Subscriber

Paul Simon last night in Austin. Very good show - he has an incredible band backing him. He did most of the stuff you would expect and a few others you might not - Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War with strings and flute, for instance.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed her birthday gift.

He had a special guest Joel Guzman on accordion. Wonderful musician who's played with Los Super Seven, Joe Ely, and directs the University of Texas at Austin’s - Butler School of Music Tex-Mex Conjunto Ensemble.

Alan

ScramMan2 likes this.
  8. john5220

john5220 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last Saturday I saw John Fogerty and ZZ Top :beerchug:

9. KevinJS

KevinJS Lunatic Member

Saturday 2nd June

Edmonton Symphony Orchestra

Beethoven’s 9th Symphony

97F72277-5C63-42D0-BAE3-42DFE6559231.jpeg

bobsvinyl and judsonw like this.
  10. ScramMan2

Sounded pretty good to me. I'm not familiar with their music though.

11. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

They are very prolific with distinctive and at times gimmicky albums. Nonagon Infinity is my favorite and it is nine tracks composed to to be seamlessly played on loop. Quarters is four 10:10 songs. Microtonal Flying Banana involves the use of microtonal instruments. Last year they announce and then released five albums.

Anyways, this is getting off topic. Sorry.

12. ScramMan2

They will be on tour for a while, so catch them if you can.

13. ScramMan2

June 5 & 6 , 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Stef Chura
    Lord Huron

Sold out. Both nights.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  14. 2 months ago. Fairport Convention here in Ludlow with me women.

RT Fan likes this.
  15. Oregonian

Oregonian AK Subscriber Subscriber

May 22nd - Moda Center in Portland, OR - The Eagles...................second time seeing them and they were outstanding with Glenn Frey's son playing along with Vince Gill. One of my top 3 concerts seen all time...

ScramMan2 likes this.
  16. ScramMan2

June 8, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

KT Tunstall
    Better Than Ezra
    Barenaked Ladies - Last Summer On Earth Tour 2018

Sold out.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

17. Johnno_Oz

Johnno_Oz AK Subscriber Subscriber

BJMMetro.jpg

Brian Jonestown Massacre: Sydney Metro Saturday 9th of June.

It was a good gig. Not a great gig but a good gig. The talent and "owner" Anton Newcombe can be a bit prickly when things don't go his way, so there were a couple of song restarts when the band didn't get in his groove. He hates hecklers and had one booted out. One of the roadies got a bollocking. He also had the whole crowd offside at one stage with some comments about Sydney. Anyway all was forgiven when he started playing again. He was pretty chuffed with two sellout gigs in Sydney. The best way I can put it......there was tension and I suppose from tension sometimes come good things.

I wasn't the eldest in the crowd by a long shot. There were a lot of us grey hairs in there. So the crowd was aged 18 to their 70's.

The music was great and the band have their chops right, ranging from lovely jangly pop to full aural psychedelic feedback assault. The drummer suits the band well.

There were some newer songs I hadn't heard but had that BJM feel about it. And there were a couple of their favourites. Servo, Anenome, That Girl Suicide, Who?, If Love is the Drug, Nevertheless, Nailing Honey to the Bee and Wisdom. Wisdom (I think) finished up the gig with screaming swirling feedback, then each guitarist exiting and leaving their guitar with feedback on stage. Anton remained on stage fiddling with them getting all sorts of choppy effects. That was amazing.

So, a good gig where everyone left happy. I saw Anton's tweet after the gig and he returned to an empty hotel room expecting a party with a bathtub full of beer and no-one turned up.

bobsvinyl likes this.
  18. White01L

White01L AK Subscriber Subscriber

Brit Floyd @ Red Rocks Thursday evening, seemed to be some issue with sound system. Anyone else here attend that show?

Next to last concert i attended was Tom Petty and Joe Walsh last year, glad I got that in.

19. ScramMan2

This tour was a bunch of asshats. I worked it 5/22 in Portland OR/USA. Heavy drinking. Not sure this thing will finish as planned. Just my $.02 worth with 13 years of doing this.

20. ScramMan2

June 9, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

Garcia Birthday Band

Not sold out tonight. Close.