Your Last Concert (or two)

Love Boris, although it might prove (after awhile) grating on the hearing, possibly the nerves.
I am not familiar w/ the other acts.

Earplugs were necessary for Boris for sure.
Secret Chiefs are a group put together by Mr Bungle guitarist
GOASTT is Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp Muhl psychedelic project

Earplugs were necessary for Boris for sure.
Secret Chiefs are a group put together by Mr Bungle guitarist
GOASTT is Sean Lennon and Charlotte Kemp Muhl psychedelic project

A group put together by ex-Mr Bungle geetarist, if they be anything resembling Mr Bungle's ouvre, sounds like it could be a neat listening experience.

I know next to nothing re: Sean Lennon's musical talents. Does his "sound" lean more towards "dad" or -- Heaven Help Us -- "mom"? Given his sharing a card w/ Boris I'm inclined to suspect the answer to my query will be "mom"...?

September 2, 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Ms Velvet and the Blue Wolf
George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic

Saw Superorganism in Vancouver on Friday. It was a great show. Halfway through, all of the band except the lead singer left the stage. She was debating playing a song or just talking at us, and decided to do a Q&A which was rather fun.

... Sonny Landreth never fails to impress with his unique and distinctive style of slide guitar.

Sonny Landreth does some really cool stuff with the way he frets above the slide. There's a local slide player that learned some of that from Sonny, and it always gets the house rockin'.

Last show was 30 Aug, 2018 at the Neptune Theater in Seattle. Hot Tuna with Steve Kimock, electric. What SHOULD have been a very good show was quite sub-par. The sound was terrible, there was almost no interaction with the audience, and it felt like the band just kind of phoned it in. It's a modest theater, seating maybe 800 people or so, but wasn't sold out. And people were leaving in droves at the intermission.

I would have thought that a venue bringing in a band like Hot Tuna would actually know how to set up the sound, but no. It was truly awful. The bass was turned up way too loud and nearly drowned the drums. Not only that, but all the bass that did come through was just a muddy, buzzy, one note bump. This in spite of watching Jack Casady's fingers going all over the place on the fretboard, and his other hand working the strings quite visibly.

My next show is Thurs, 06 Sept at the Moore Theater, also in Seattle. Gov't Mule. Hope this one will be better.

Just got home from an epic performance by Rodrigo y Gabriela with the Oregon symphony at Arlene Schnitzer Hall.

Never thought I would hear Carmen and Echoes played in the same concert...

September 6, 2018, McMenamins White Eagle Saloon, Portland OR

Kory Quinn
Robbie Fulks

Opening act was a local guy, put on a great 45 minute set. He was kind enough to leave a few CDs behind, I took one and gave the rest to the bar staff. There is a lot of talent out here in the PNW.

Last edited:
September 8, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

The Voodoo Threauxdown!

For the 300th birthday of his home town of New Orleans, Trombone Shorty is taking the city on tour across the U.S.

The Voodoo Threauxdown, sponsored by New Orleans own Southern Comfort, will celebrate the rich cultural and musical traditions of New Orleans. Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue will be joined by New Orleans finest, Galactic, Preservation Hall Jazz Band and New Breed Brass Band, with special guests Cyril Neville, Walter Wolfman Washington and Kermit Ruffins.

Kermit Ruffins was not at Edgefield, all the others were. Sound quality was a little up and down with each act. Galactic only played for about 35 minutes. Other than these two nitpicks it was a great show, and a nice night for it.

Last edited:
I saw Chris Isaak at the Wellmont theater in Montclaire NJ 2 weeks ago. It was a fabulous show! I later discovered that his bass player, Rollie, is none other than Rowland J. Salley, who wrote the strange and beautiful Killing The Blues, Which has been a favorite of mine since I heard it on R. Plant & A. Krauss, Raising Sand. I now have seven different versions of the song, including Salley's. I'f I'd known it was him, I'd have rushed the stage!

September 15, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Khruangbin
Leon Bridges

Awesome show!

September 15, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Edit: Khruangbin has a show coming up at the Crystal Ballroom on 11/17/18. Sold out as of 9/22/18.

Last edited:
California Guitar Trio, All Saints Episcopal Church, Frederick, MD. Their 16th show here! My wife's first, she really enjoyed it.IMG_0104.JPG CGT 9 15 18.JPG

The Hall Monitors from Baltimore and Muck and The Mires from Boston, @ Hill Country in DC. With my brother and our wives and 20 like minded garage music fans.

September 16, 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

The New Respects
Matt Nathanson
O.A.R.

Last edited:
Wayne Kramer / MC50, Detroit Cobras, Pinkwash. 2018-09-15, Union Transfer, Philadelphia.

Kramer is touring to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the MC5's Kick Out The Jams record. He and drummer Dennis Thompson, who is not part of the current tour, are the only survivors of this influential but obscure Detroit band. The current MC50 incarnation consists of Kramer plus guitarist Kim Thayil (Soundgarden), drummer Brendan Canty (Fugazi), bassist Billy Gould (Faith No More), and vocalist Marcus Durant (Zen Guerrilla).

Like most of the planet outside of Detroit, I completely missed the MC5 in their early '70s prime. Luckily, there is some really good Youtube footage of a few of their live performances at their peak. The MC5 imploded due to drugs, poor management, and material that wasn't radio and record company safe ("kick out the jams, mother%^&Kers!").

Kramer is an interesting guy. After the MC5 breakup, he spent two years in federal prison (where he befriended jazz trumpeter Red Rodney) for dealing cocaine. The Clash song, Jail Guitar Doors, was written partly about Kramer: "Let me tell you 'bout Wayne and his deals of cocaine." It took him a while to get straight after getting out, but he has gone on to champion prison reform, put out several very good rock (and one jazz) records, and score some TV music. He has just released a biography.

On Saturday night they played their 1968 Kick Out the Jams record, straight through, before a packed house. The crowd skewed younger than I expected, and was really into it, including a little old school moshing. I was ready to be disappointed, but Kramer, 72, moves like he's 35, and is a jackhammer guitar player. The old music sounded fresh, not nostalgic at all. Not a Rolling Stones seniors tour concert.

This was the third time in 10 years that I've seen the Detroit Cobras, who are vocalist Rachel Nagy and guitarist Mary Ramirez, plus a shifting assortment of solid studio musicians. Basically a world class bar band, they specialize in spiced-up, garagey, versions of old R&B and soul B sides. Nagy can be a little grouchy, but she is soulful and sensual when she's into it, which she was tonight. They aren't touring to promote a new release, so the show was an assortment of tunes from their first four records.

Pinkwash was new to me. They are a Philadelphia hypno thrash metal duo, drums and guitar. Very primitive.

The venue: Union Transfer is a two-level venue in what looks like a converted warehouse. Our show was general admission, so I got to walk around, and the acoustics and sight lines were good everywhere in the house. Standing room only except for 4 rows of basically risers in the balcony.

I skipped a Penn State football game to see this show, especially Kramer. No regrets.

Last edited:
Head and the Heart
Red Rocks
Morrison, CO
August 2017

Always wanted to see a show at Red Rocks since watching MTV video of U2’s Bloody Sunday in the first year of MTV.

Back
Top Bottom