1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Your Last Concert (or two)

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Strangeband, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

September 7, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Brett Dennen
    Jason Mraz

Please register to disable this ad.

2. ScramMan2

September 8, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

The Voodoo Threauxdown!

For the 300th birthday of his home town of New Orleans, Trombone Shorty is taking the city on tour across the U.S.

The Voodoo Threauxdown, sponsored by New Orleans own Southern Comfort, will celebrate the rich cultural and musical traditions of New Orleans. Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue will be joined by New Orleans finest, Galactic, Preservation Hall Jazz Band and New Breed Brass Band, with special guests Cyril Neville, Walter Wolfman Washington and Kermit Ruffins.

Kermit Ruffins was not at Edgefield, all the others were. Sound quality was a little up and down with each act. Galactic only played for about 35 minutes. Other than these two nitpicks it was a great show, and a nice night for it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    jnicholson14 likes this.
  3. 2channel*

2channel* Well-Known Member

I saw Chris Isaak at the Wellmont theater in Montclaire NJ 2 weeks ago. It was a fabulous show! I later discovered that his bass player, Rollie, is none other than Rowland J. Salley, who wrote the strange and beautiful Killing The Blues, Which has been a favorite of mine since I heard it on R. Plant & A. Krauss, Raising Sand. I now have seven different versions of the song, including Salley's. I'f I'd known it was him, I'd have rushed the stage!

4. ScramMan2

September 14, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

Jenny O
    Margaret Glaspy

5. ScramMan2

September 15, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Khruangbin
    Leon Bridges

Awesome show!

September 15, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Edit: Khruangbin has a show coming up at the Crystal Ballroom on 11/17/18. Sold out as of 9/22/18.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  6. sfox52

sfox52 AK Subscriber Subscriber

California Guitar Trio, All Saints Episcopal Church, Frederick, MD. Their 16th show here! My wife's first, she really enjoyed it. IMG_0104.JPG CGT 9 15 18.JPG

grillebilly likes this.

7. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

The Hall Monitors from Baltimore and Muck and The Mires from Boston, @ Hill Country in DC. With my brother and our wives and 20 like minded garage music fans.

sfox52 likes this.
  8. ScramMan2

September 16, 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

The New Respects
    Matt Nathanson
    O.A.R.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  9. c.coyle

c.coyle All solid state except for the tubes Subscriber

Wayne Kramer / MC50, Detroit Cobras, Pinkwash. 2018-09-15, Union Transfer, Philadelphia.

Kramer is touring to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the MC5's Kick Out The Jams record. He and drummer Dennis Thompson, who is not part of the current tour, are the only survivors of this influential but obscure Detroit band. The current MC50 incarnation consists of Kramer plus guitarist Kim Thayil (Soundgarden), drummer Brendan Canty (Fugazi), bassist Billy Gould (Faith No More), and vocalist Marcus Durant (Zen Guerrilla).

Like most of the planet outside of Detroit, I completely missed the MC5 in their early '70s prime. Luckily, there is some really good Youtube footage of a few of their live performances at their peak. The MC5 imploded due to drugs, poor management, and material that wasn't radio and record company safe ("kick out the jams, mother%^&Kers!").

Kramer is an interesting guy. After the MC5 breakup, he spent two years in federal prison (where he befriended jazz trumpeter Red Rodney) for dealing cocaine. The Clash song, Jail Guitar Doors, was written partly about Kramer: "Let me tell you 'bout Wayne and his deals of cocaine." It took him a while to get straight after getting out, but he has gone on to champion prison reform, put out several very good rock (and one jazz) records, and score some TV music. He has just released a biography.

On Saturday night they played their 1968 Kick Out the Jams record, straight through, before a packed house. The crowd skewed younger than I expected, and was really into it, including a little old school moshing. I was ready to be disappointed, but Kramer, 72, moves like he's 35, and is a jackhammer guitar player. The old music sounded fresh, not nostalgic at all. Not a Rolling Stones seniors tour concert.

This was the third time in 10 years that I've seen the Detroit Cobras, who are vocalist Rachel Nagy and guitarist Mary Ramirez, plus a shifting assortment of solid studio musicians. Basically a world class bar band, they specialize in spiced-up, garagey, versions of old R&B and soul B sides. Nagy can be a little grouchy, but she is soulful and sensual when she's into it, which she was tonight. They aren't touring to promote a new release, so the show was an assortment of tunes from their first four records.

Pinkwash was new to me. They are a Philadelphia hypno thrash metal duo, drums and guitar. Very primitive.

The venue: Union Transfer is a two-level venue in what looks like a converted warehouse. Our show was general admission, so I got to walk around, and the acoustics and sight lines were good everywhere in the house. Standing room only except for 4 rows of basically risers in the balcony.

I skipped a Penn State football game to see this show, especially Kramer. No regrets.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  10. Smokering

Smokering Member

Head and the Heart
    Red Rocks
    Morrison, CO
    August 2017

Always wanted to see a show at Red Rocks since watching MTV video of U2’s Bloody Sunday in the first year of MTV.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  11. audio-ed

audio-ed Well-Known Member

Ringo Starr and his all star band. His band were members of 10cc, Santana, Men at work , and Toto. All of them sang 3 or 4 hits. Toto's Steve Lukather sang Rosanna ,Africa, and Hold the line. Ringo played the drums half the show and looked like he was having more fun than anyone there.

ScramMan2 likes this.

12. ScramMan2

September 19, 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Speedy Ortiz
    Liz Phair

Edit: That opening act really sucked! 9/22/18 11:14pm

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  13. ScramMan2

September 20, 2018, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Family Of The Year
    Houndmouth - Golden Age Tour

The opening act was incredible. Watch out Houndmouth!

14. ScramMan2

September 21, 2018, McMenamins Mission Theater, Portland OR

Gary Bennett
    Radney Foster

15. c.coyle

c.coyle All solid state except for the tubes Subscriber

I want your job.

16. ScramMan2

September 22, 2018, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Wye Oak
    Ben Howard

Last show of the season out there. We had a blast putting these shows on for you.

17. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Old Crow Medicine Show, two hours ago in Bristol TN. Absolutely fantastic.

Before that elephant revival in Nashville ~2 years back. Great band, the venue had a crap sound system though and zero acoustic treatments in a brick rectangle.

81spirit and ScramMan2 like this.
  18. ScramMan2

OCMS are off the hook!

EngineerNate likes this.
  19. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

They put on an absolutely awesome performance.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  20. ScramMan2

judsonw likes this.