Your Last Concert (or two)

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by Strangeband, Apr 3, 2009.

1. yeehayashi

yeehayashi Active Member

Just saw Betty Buckley perform here in Lone Tree, CO. Still going very strong in her 70s. what a voice.

2. burneyreid

burneyreid AK Member Subscriber

Just returned from Vegas and on Friday , June 8th attended the Park Theater to see The Doobie Brothers open for Chicago.
    Great show. Enjoyed seeing both bands together.

3. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 AK Subscriber Subscriber

June 16, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Richard Cheese & Lounge Against The Machine

Flabio likes this.
  4. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Look at what one local club had on the line-up for August, 1981. And dig the prices. This place held maybe 100 people, tops.

shows.jpg

5. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

Went to a benefit for Billy Hancock (X-Fat Boy, Danny Gatton's first records) on Saturday. Lots of local guitar slingers and rockabilly cats performing.
    Last night was an epic surf guitar show starring the Blair-Pongracic band. John Blair fronted Jon and The Nightriders while Ivan Pongracis fronted The Space Cossacks and currently The Madeira. Opening was local surf/space rock band The Atomic Mosquitos. Great show in a small room, maybe 40 folks there.

6. ScramMan2

June 21, 2017, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Pure Bathing Culture
    The Shins

7. ScramMan2

June 24, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Dru Hill feat. Sisqo, Nokio, Jazz & Tao

with Special Guests Chante Moore & Howard Hewett
    Hosted by Speedy of the Jamie Foxx Radio Show
    Music by Seattle's Own DJ Kole
    Benefiting homeless families of Greater New Hope

KDAC likes this.
  8. asilker

asilker Bible Reader Subscriber

Jason isbell in Peoria

Hold steady's "Chicago seemed wired last night" event

9. easycraig

easycraig Super Member

I saw these swell folks last evening......

10. Strangeband

Strangeband AK Member and Ale Monger Subscriber

My daughter and I saw Soundgarden at the Fox Theater in Atlanta 2 weeks before Chris Cornell died. She has been in mourning since.

asilker likes this.
  11. ScramMan2

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  12. ScramMan2

June 30, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Ogikubo Station
    Jenny Owen Youngs
    Streetlife Manifesto

13. I would've given a finger or a toe to see Chanté Moore perform any track from A Love Supreme (I'd pass out if she sang "Thank You for Loving Me" live). Even though I overwhelmingly prefer Howard Hewett with his band mates in Shalamar, I'd reckon his performance wasn't too shabby either. Dru Hill performing "Beauty" from 1998's Enter the Dru would've been the icing on the cake.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  14. rshep

rshep Working my way to 1000 posts Subscriber

King Crimson at Humphreys Concerts by the Bay in San Diego. Nice venue and even better music. Robert Fripp has a great band for the tour, including three drummers! Highly recommended for any prog fan.

ScramMan2 likes this.
  15. 1970's Fan

1970's Fan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Went to see Tony Bennett in Glasgow last night. Thought it was never going to finish. My goodness, the man has some stamina for any age let alone 90 years old! It started with the quartet playing for a while and they were really good. The drummer played for Count Bassie. I had a moment of panic, though as I sat in the cafe before the show. I was looking at the ticket and noticed that it was in my wife's name because she bought the ticket for me as an aniversary present. I remembered reading somewhere that some venues don't allow you in unless your own name is on the ticket. I went down to the desk at the front door to ask the woman if it would be a problem but she said it'll be ok and it was phew!

16. ScramMan2

July 1, 2017, McMenamins Edgefield, Troutdale OR

Pink Martini

17. ScramMan2

I walked right past Chanté Moore backstage as she was getting ready to go on. Howard Hewett was out on the floor right in front me for about 5 minutes shaking hands and giving out hugs. Part of the job I guess, it was really hot inside the BR that night, I was doing breaks so co-workers could get out for a while and have a cold water.

KDAC likes this.
  18. Phules

Phules Member

Roger Waters - Jun 1 Tulsa BOK
    Norah Jones - Jun 9 Tulsa Brady Theater
    Toto - 1 Jul Salina Kansas Stiefel Theater
    All 3 were great concerts

19. Spitfirejoe

Spitfirejoe Cheap Audio Aficionado

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit last night at the SumTur Amphitheater in Papillion, Nebraska. My first time at this venue, and I really enjoyed it. It's a smaller outdoor venue, but the sound quality was outstanding and there isn't a bad spot in the entire place to see the show. Reserved seats are up front, with a grassy hillside behind for general admission. We got there early and set up lawn chairs at the very front of the gen admission area. http://sumtur.org/events-gallery.php for some photos of the place.

A friend of mine from work and I both took our mid-20's aged daughters. It was hot as Hades early in the evening - mid 90's and no breeze. Fortunately, we had easy access to 7 dollar beers... It was a gorgeous summer night after the sun went down.

Opening act was John Darnielle's band, "The Mountain Goats"- an unusual indie folk band. I thought they were great and would see them again in a minute. They are doing a swing though the upper mid-west right now. Des Moines, IA tonight and St. Paul, MN tomorrow. Darnielle was having fun through the whole show, and made lots of references to Pro Wrestling for some reason... A highlight for me was the playing of Matt Douglas. Guitars, Keyboards, Woodwinds - the guy played everything!

Isbell and band were fricking amazing. If they are appearing anywhere near you - go see them. Tight band - great songs. Isbell's singing and guitar work were top notch and he seemed to enjoy the crowd. His wife Amanda Shires played fiddle and did backing vocals. She was fantastic, the fiddle adds an authentic and soulful sound to the mix. Sadler Vaden was impressive on guitar. Jimbo Hart and Chad Gamble laid down a groove that didn't stop. Derry DeBorja was a master on "Keys and Squeeze" as Isbell put it - keyboards and accordian. They played a lot of the songs from the new album, "The Nashville Sound" with a notable exception - they didn't play Cumberland Gap, which is a house rocking number. I'm still disappointed in that song not being included, but I'll forgive them after the BLISTERING cover of The Allman Brother's "Whipping Post" they did. Vaden and Isbell really showed off their guitar chops on that one.

A nice review from the Omaha World Herald is here - http://www.omaha.com/go/music/with-...cle_f7b62cfe-3df8-5b14-9b0a-67cceb8d36a4.html

ScramMan2 likes this.
  20. orsen

orsen just another old cheapskate that likes audio Subscriber

kinda bummer line up this year
    they are blaming exchange rates for the no US acts
    no blues at all really some rock blues tho
    but were out the door for it in a couples hours
    gonna be a long few days

bluesfestposter_2017_final_march15.jpg