Your Last Concert (or two)

The Who LAST NIGHT
MGM Grand - Washington DC
July 18, 2017

I've seen that three times now and this was by far the best. The MGM Grand is actually just south in Maryland, not DC proper. Beautiful venue. Small. Great sound. Even Pete Townshend made a point of saying how much better it was playing inside a smaller theatre where he could hear himself play. They looked great, sounded great, and man can Ringo Starr's kid can play the drums!

July 19, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

DJ OG One
Ronnie Wright
Musiq Soulchild

I liked the way they used the DJ from the time doors opened until the first act came on. He also played between acts. Kind of a neat way to use a DJ rather than canned music. I hope other acts take notice.

Last edited:
July 20 - Wolf Trap Farm Park Vienna VA - Moody Blues - 50th Anniversary of Days of Future Passed -
Wilfredo and I persevered! So hot our wives did not go .. . and worst seats I've ever had there.
But - the band was really good (Graham Edge, Justin Hayward, & John Lodge of the original band)
And all in all, a fun romp ...

(I had seen the Moody Blues 3 times before - Every Good Boy tour in '73, Seventh Sojourn in 74, and some time in the late 80s)

IMG_4248.jpg IMG_4261.jpg

Aug 12, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Ron Gallo
July Talk
Joywave

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2017 The Michigan Theatre Ann Arbor, MI - Lyle Lovett and his Large Band. Excellent show. 2hrs. and 15 minutes of continual music. You could see Lyle was enjoying playing and singing and that just added to the experience. He had a fantastic band behind him and qwent through a whole slew of music ranging from Jazz and Blues to Bluegrass to Gospel. it was a very enjoyable time and was sorry it ended so soon.

Agreed... saw him in St. Louis during this tour a few weeks ago; great stuff. Lyle's an American Treasure...

Anyone else going to see Lyle and his Large Band tomorrow in Charlottesville?

Yeah, that Charlottesville—just a couple of blocks down the mall from where Heather Heyer was killed. :angel:

I've seen Lyle five times. Once he was mearly great and the other four times, he was fantastic!

This past Sunday, we saw:

Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience
Cheap Trick
Foreigner

Very good show. I had little doubt the fake Jimmy Page would be great but had a bit of concern over the fake Robert Plant. He was pretty modern, but pretty good. Overall it was a very energetic performance that was a bit better than I expected.

The members of Cheap Trick are getting there in years (aren't we all?) but I've seen them each of the last three years and they have put on a great show every time and the young folks always seem to enjoy them.

The fake Lou Gramm was quite the showman and did a fine job on vocals as well as in getting the crowd involved. They had two guitarists in addition to founder Mick Jones. Mick's tone was always great... raw and slightly polished. Very inspiring.

Overall, a good night.

Aug 15, 2017, McMenamins Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR

Cascade Crescendo (local Portland band on the same level as Yonder Mountain IMO)
Reckless Kelly

I saw The Doobie Brothers and Chicago a couple weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised at how good both bands sounded.

A couple months ago I saw The Struts and Greta Van Fleet. If you like classic rock, I recommend both of these bands. The Struts put on one of the most fun shows you'll ever see, and the lead singer from Greta is like a combination of Geddy Lee and Robert Plant.

Back
Top Bottom