Your latest tape

gmku

Here are a coupla mine:

picture.php

&

picture.php

The Pied Piper tape comes from a mail order I got in 1976. I dubbed this to high bias tape (TDK SA90) and messed with bias and balance to produce a much nicer sounding copy.

Upcoming projects include taping LPs of the following:

NRBQ - Kick Me Hard & the first LP
Stones - Goats Head Soup & Tattoo You (I'm doing them back to back because much of Tattoo You is discards from the GHS era)

Last edited:
Actually I made a lot of tapes up until around 2000, back when cars still came with tape decks. When I sold that car and bought a new car, all of the cars came with CD players. I use my tape decks these days only for playback and every once in awhile, I'll buy a collection lot of brand new pre-recorded tapes on eBay if I see a collection worthwhile and for a good price. I would still use my tape decks to record if they still had programs on the radio like "King Biscuit Flower Hour" or other live events/concerts worth recording. I still have 20 wrapped TDK SA's, just in case.

My car is a 2005 Honda CR/V, with cassette deck (and 5-disk CD player). I bought a few pre-recorded cassettes at the GW because they were only $1 to try it out. Sounds like crap compared to the CDs... I now use it with a cassette adapter to play mp3's, which sound better, but still not as good as CDs - not that those sound great on the factory stock stereo, either.

I bought a 2000 Lexus ES300 sedan in 2008 for two main reasons: it was a good, reliable car that I could pay cash for; and it came with a high-quality cassette player. And even though it also has a CD deck, I use recorded cassettes almost exclusively. I make good recordings on my Nak deck and so they sound great in the car, and I don't have to worry about theft of my CDs.

Well I have been making a few tapes a week. Nothing fancy - just recording FM radio. My local NPR has a folk/acoustic block on Saturday night, starting with "A Prairie Home Companion" and since I cant listen live anymore due to parental responsibilities I tape it to listen later.

I use a Sony WA9ES (two well autoreverse) deck for this. That way I can just press REC and have it record for three hours unattended. A three head deck would be better I'm sure but I don't really have the ability to stand right by it every 45 minutes and turn/change the cassette.

I have been trying out the different NR options (my deck has dolby B C or S). So far I actually think I prefer no NR. The sound seems more lifelike and I don't really notice significant tape hiss, but that may be because I listen at pretty low volumes.

Mark

I would still use my tape decks to record if they still had programs on the radio like "King Biscuit Flower Hour" or other live events/concerts worth recording. I still have 20 wrapped TDK SA's, just in case.

Try to find a public radio sta. that carries AMERICAN ROUTES; also - SOUND OPINION. Two very worthwhile programs (IMHO); if you cannot - listening @ kuow.org is an option. Both shows Sun. evening 9 ish & 10 ish [slightly affiliated - 2 day/month].:music:

Well I have been making a few tapes a week. Nothing fancy - just recording FM radio. My local NPR has a folk/acoustic block on Saturday night, starting with "A Prairie Home Companion" and since I cant listen live anymore due to parental responsibilities I tape it to listen later.

Mark

I do something similar. The local NPR affiliate, WNCW, has a great 3-hour Saturday morning jazz program. I basically run a couple of tapes then using my two decks edit the selections to a compilation tape I'm making of the show--cutting out the stuff I don't like, cutting out DJ comments, psa's etc.

Well, I recorded 2 tapes yesterday. I haven't recorded anything in about a year so it was nice to get back into it. The first was a little R&B with GQ Disco Nights and The Tom Tom Club Debut Album. The second was ELO's Time and Discovery (Half-Speed Mastered). I used Akai GX90's for these with very good results. These Akai's aren't the greatest tapes out there but my Teac V-970X helps with the short comings of the tape.

Apparently (and I can't confirm because they're only available in the US, it seems), those AKAIs are some really good tapes.

I bought a 2000 Lexus ES300 sedan in 2008 for two main reasons: it was a good, reliable car that I could pay cash for; and it came with a high-quality cassette player. And even though it also has a CD deck, I use recorded cassettes almost exclusively. I make good recordings on my Nak deck and so they sound great in the car, and I don't have to worry about theft of my CDs.

In 2002 I bought a 1993 Toyota (which I still have) and it came with a cassette deck as it was bound to. By 1997, the same car was still in production but with a CD player as standard. Everyone I ever knew with a CD player in their car had a nice big collection of scratched-to-shit CDs from having kept them in various 'storage' devices in their car, all of them pretty much unplayable. In contrast, I kept several cassettes in my car, in the ill-advised conditions of sunlight and damp (I kept many of them in a bag under the passeger seat, where I later found out there was a leak in the floorpan), and they all still play perfectly to this day.

every few weeks ..i still roll tape compilations onto new old stock vintage tapes that i've hoarded over the last few years...
tape plus youtube is a good way to discover new tunes..
one of my most recent...:music:

Attachments

• memorex.jpg
    memorex.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Until my Onkyo bit the dust last year I still made some mix tapes for driving. Cassettes can get you anywhere from 90-110 minutes as opposed to 79 minutes on a CD plus they're a ton of fun to make!

Back
Top Bottom