Your Left, Right Left

Duke58

It sure pays to read the Operating Instructions and Warranty manual.

After owning my Fisher KX-200 for about a month, adjusting the bias and balance at least three times because I thought the channels sounded reversed, I read in the manual that Channel A is the LEFT. Right...

Reminds me of learning to march when I was in the Marine Corps. Left, right, left.

Have a good Sunday!

In audio work, the left channel -- if not directly referred to as such -- is also referred to as Channel A or Channel 1, with the right channel sometimes referred to as Channel B or Channel 2. Later, colors came into play, with white indicating the left channel, and red the right. Black has also been used at times to indicate the left channel.

Back in the day, no standardization existed, so different manufacturers used different designators. Today, Left/White and Right/Red are virtually universal in audio work.

Dave

Now I know- I was thinking something was wrong with the amp!

When I played familiar pieces on it, certain parts of the music sounded like they should have been on the right.

It pays to read the manual. I'm obviously used to the red/right, white/left.

Thanks!

MARINE's are my favorite UPRIGHT MAMMALS! (Former Navy Corpsman, FMF / SS!1973-1977)

You find yourself unconciously skipping to get in step in a group, still????

Ha ha! Once a Marine, always a Marine!

A lot of Corpsmen I served with were just like Marines, they even wore the same uniform and we called them "Doc."

That will be an interesting conversation how we both got involved in electronics. For me, I was a Marine Corps avionics tech. Went to A School at NAS Memphis. That was 35+ years ago! Then I served a machinist apprenticeship at a national laboratory and went back to school and got a BSME. I used to kid the guys in the machinist apprenticeship that I became a machinist because I checked the wrong box on the employment application. (They knew I had been an electronics tech in the Marine Corps).

I also served in the NM Air National Guard and tried to keep the Marine Corps spirit alive with the Air Force people. As we were walking out to the flight line to work on an airplane during a weekend drill, a young airman once started telling me what she was going to do and what I was going to do. I looked at her and asked how many stripes were on her sleeves. She said three. I asked her how many were on mine and she counted five. Why are you telling me what to do? She whined to the NCOIC who told me that we weren't in the Marine Corps and we should relax during our drill weekends. So I finished my four year hitch with the Air Guard and joined the Marine Reserve unit. Delta Co., 4th Recon Bn. Hard corps, Marine Corps. Those Navy Corpsmen were darn seasoned! I remember a night parachute jump, flying in a C-130 about 100 feet off the ground, Doc was across from me as the airplane went on its roller coaster ride, twisting tuning, one minute he was looking down at me, next minute I was looking down at him. I swear his face turned green and he looked like he was going to puke. If he puked, it would have started a chain reaction. Finally, the green light came on and it was the one and only time I wanted to jump out of a plane. Doc and everybody made it home. Duke58 out.

Dad was a Navy Radarman converted to NAV ET (SS). repaired TV's when he was home between Sub Patrols. I used to go with him. Naturally curious up til I got married and had kids. Did 4 and out after detailer had me going to a TIN CAN in Pearl. I called him up.... "WTF, OVER??? I'm SS qualled, FMF qualled, and you want me to sit on my ass on a TARGET in PEARL?????" He hemmed and haw'ed but wouldn't relent, so I told him to sit on the pointy end of that target, took 28 days terminal leave and got out. Started back into this stuff after I got disability retired from Gov't GS-7 job (Police Sgt.). back in '03. Keeps me home, and not looking like a Sailor or Marine on liberty 1/2way thru a WESTPAC Cruise(out whoring or trying to drink the Country dry in one night). At least that's what I tell the wife.

GAWD I hate know it all Non Rate Fudge butts! Especially Air FARCE Wing wipers! Dad was 6 months from 20 (E-7 in rate for 6) and considering staying for 30, but got tired of ET "A" school E-4's telling him how something should be done("I was doing when they were a dribble down mamas leg" to quote him), so he told his CO to take his re-up papers and convert them to retirement! Best move he ever made. He never was comfortable with Solid State stuff. Went to Westinghouse Oceanic Div and retired there in 1989. GREAT with tubes and has been restoring the URC-32 on TORSK (Museum Sub in B'More) for last 4 years. Almost there. He got me started with basics then threw me to the wolves when he moved to Del. But I see him every two weeks on the boat and help out. He lets me get zapped instead of him or the other chief's.....YEOWCH!! 400cyc AC HURTS!

Larry

Yeah, I remember those days of whoring and trying to drink the country dry!

My old man was in the Army during the Korean War. He was born at home and a priest came to baptize him a week later, filled out the Baptismal Certificate and grandmother put it in the china cabinet where he found it and changed the date by one year so he could enlist in the Army. He was a infantryman, started drinking and smoking until he died in 1983. Last thing he told me was not to drink and smoke. I told him I didn't smoke. He retired from the Santa Fe Railroad.

My grandfather served in the Army, then retired from the SFRR in 1966 and died 6 months later from Leukemia. My grandmother collected his pension from 1966 until 2002!

I love all those old ships and sub museum. Mobile, AL has a great one, and I went on a cruise on the USS Mobile (LKA 115) when I was in HS NJROTC! I was going to join the Navy Nuclear Propulsion, but had a stepfather pushing me out the door, so I went Marine Corps because they let me leave for bootcamp a week after HS graduation.

Good talking to you, Corpsman!

Family has tendency to go NAVY. Granddad was Marine in 30's and had to get out in 34 as he was a Corp. with 2 kids. Got recalled for WWII and Medically retired with Asthma in 45. 1st MAW on Guadalcanal (NCOIC of 1st MAW Chow Hall...Go figure.) Dad did 20. Mom was a Hospital Corpwave and got Medically discharged @ 4months pregnant in 1954. I came along 5 months later. Dad's brother was Aviation Boatswain Mate in 60's on Bon Homme Richard. Me as HM. Little Brother was Aviation Electronics Tech. married a Navy Air controller. all 3 sisters married (2 navy, 1 Air Farce). Current Gen (kids and Grands). 1 Navy, 1 Hard Corp Recon Marine, 1 National Guard. All did 4 and out except the NAVY one. He's on Subs. Gave him my Dolphins which I got from Dad when I qualled. So he's 3rd Gen using the same Dolphins.

Bumper Stickers on my Trucks.

The BEST part of the CORPS is the CORPSMAN!
and
The NAVY has Hospitalmen,
THE MARINES have CORPSMEN!!

License plate Frame
DEATH CHEATERS! (top)

NAVY CORPSMEN! (bottom)

SEMPER FI, MAC.

Last edited:
Ooh-raah!

I'm still working on Navy projects!

Thank you and your family for serving!

I've got two nieces in the military right now- one served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Music is my life and I love music reproduction on this old gear.

Semper Fidelis!

When I get to heaven, St. Peter I will tell
I'm truly a Marine
I served my time in hell

I've told Larry before, but it can never be said enough -- thanks to both of you for serving!

Dave

Back in the day, no standardization existed, so different manufacturers used different designators. Today, Left/White and Right/Red are virtually universal in audio work.

Dave

And then you had the English, who used grey and brown or sometimes grey and black. Don't recall which was which but those old Garrard cables were a bit crap anyway so they usually hit the bin before I got concerned about finding out.

Back
Top Bottom