Your main program source?

What's your main program source?

• Total voters
Here is the approximate breakdown for me:

CDs = 60%
records = 30%
tuner = 10%

It used to be more record-weighted, but I score many, many CDs for cheap $ these days.
Records in good condition are difficult to source, unless I pay more $$$ for them

i used to be really heavy into records when i was a kid, about 10 years ago. then i discoverd the wonderful world of reel to reel. but i must say, it is incredible how damn good records can sound!

Im lazy with my Squeezeboxes and FLAC files. My CDs only get used once...when theyre ripped and encoded to FLAC. :yes:

Digital files (mostly FLAC, if not available then MP3). I keep music on my external hard drive (1 Gb) that I hookup to USB port in my computer.

This setting simplify my system a lot, I don't need CD player, cassette deck, etc. It also save me a lot of space (and money), so I don't have to buy CDs, cassettes.

FLAC are losslress (not compressed) high quality files, probably the same as CD quality.

And the best is the digital music is free. I download them all over the world and it doesn't cost a penny.

Turntable and Records are different. For me, they are religious / romantic / nostalgia thing. For some R2R falls into the same category.

Need help voting...

All playback is thru my computer using Apple Lossless. I buy the CD, put it on the hard drive, and throw the CD on the shelf. So is my source the "CD", or is it "MP3 or some other digital source"?

What no 8-track users?! What the heck is a "Muntz 4-pack", anyway?

nelson-muntz.gif

I listen to CDs about half the time because they are convenient and I have a lot more of them than records. Records come in a strong second because I love the sound and the visual excitement of that black disc spinning 'round. Third is the computer-derived stuff because I like to explore and discover new (mostly new to me) music via Napster, etc. (I listen to very little new music because I generally prefer the older variety.) the computer-derived stuff isn't FLAC, but streamed and 256k mp3s, so not really aurally excellent, but mostly acceptable on the 2-channel rig.

I really need more food for the rack monster that glows. It's just a matter of obtaining it at this point as I have devoted most of my time and energy to family, work, and studies. The acoustics of my latest house aren't all that great, either - and I no longer have my man-cave...:sigh:

Your poll was flawed. Apu says Thank you Come Again.

apu-n.gif

(1) Where is FM? My number one 'source'.

(2) Lumping CD and the higher resolution formats SACD/DVD-A together is an awful mistake.

I have a few CDs; none of them can touch SACDs for sound quality. Night and day. Especially listening to electrostatic speakers--it's no contest.

To truly do this justice why not your Top 3...and distinguish between digital "HD" FM and analog, streamed satellite, net streamed stations--independent and official-ish.

And how about another new category--your record albums transferred onto a greater than CD-quality high res format? That way retain your individual preferences for TT, Cart, & pre but with the convenience of digital playback.

Less net sharing since the file sizes are relatively huge and the playback equipment costs more and pocket-size portable hi-res audio players are scarce at present.

Last edited:
5400 records, 1100 CDs and 250 reel to reel tapes. I think it is important to have more money in your music than in your equipment. Main tables Linn LP12, SOTA Sapphire and an original Roksan. Records always make me smile. CDs are for newer music that isn't available on record and for background when working.

I like that you called them "records," and not "LPs" or "vinyl," or (heaven forbid) "vinyls!"

Records. That's what the were, are, and will always be.

Boy am I fed up with seeing "vinyls" !

If you had a storehouse full of kruggerands, you wouldn't say "I have a lot of golds."

CDs, I want it all even if I don't play all tracks, the booklet, its info, etc.

Tried an MP3 and it's in a drawer somewhere, location unknown.

And being into metal not much on the radio so don't even have cable attached.

500 CDs and 125 concert DVDs to run through the system gives me enough selection

The majority of my listening is digitally ripped CD's on an external hard drive on my main computer which is streamed to my main audio system using a Logitech Squeezebox going into a Musical Fidelity DAC. Also have a new aluminum Mac Mini connected via HDMI to my TV which I can bring up iTunes and play back everything thru the shared library. However, the sound quality thru the Logitech is noticeably better. I've burned all my CD's onto my hard drive using AIFF encoding and therefore haven't touched my CD's in years.

Secondary listening source is my turntable and in many cases sounds better but the convenience of pulling up any song or album within seconds can't be beat with the Logitech setup.

After those 2 sources... the rest... FM, Pandora, Slacker, cassettes, etc... all share equal time.

Back
Top Bottom