Your main program source?

What's your main program source?

• Total voters
Back when I had no choice, vinyl and tape. Vinyl takes up a lot of space, sensitive to temperature, static and high maintenance. Tape dries out, sensitive to magnetics, temperature, and high maintenance. CDs, and MDs use less physical storage space, protected in their storage cases and are more forgiving to light scratches. (at least on CDs) I prefer the dynamics of digital sound and low maintenance. Today there are more choices. With flac and other lossless media. it can now be stored with the advent of cheaper high capacity drives and Blue Ray without busting your budget.

Most frequent at the top:

records
CDs
cassettes
reel-to-reel tapes
digital files

Last edited:
It once was the LP at another time it was cassette, but now my Cd collection out number my LPs although many are CDRs of LPs.

I stream FLAC files from a QNAP NAS through an SMSL D8 DAC and send the analog to vintage McIntosh tube gear.

I recently set up an R2R and turntable both Sony, so I hope to change the ratio of CD verses vinyl and reel tape!

I actually have a Muntz Chrome car deck and prerecorded tapes, they only have 2 stereo program tracks. Surprisingly, when I worked in radio in the 1070s, the AM station would buy up 4 track cartridges and reload them with the lengths of tape that we needed for our commercials and our music was on carts too.

73 Dennis

The most valuable thing in my setup as of now, Sony DVP-NS900V, i mostly play CDs and SACDs (very few) on it, i haven't tested DVD-A yet. This is definetly the best gift i have ever received!
I would like to collect and play vinyl as well, but i'm pedantic with my sources and i won't put my money in anything less than a Technics MK2 or equivalent when i have the means to buy one. And, it wouldn't be worth a lot before i upgrade my amplification and speakers, so that comes first.
dj2tdA5.png

Five years ago it was 100% cd but now it's more like 60% cd and 40% vinyl and that margin is growing ever closer together.

Roger that...

The turntable was put away for 15 years, and hardly used for five years before that. Digital was going to rule, and it looks like it did a pretty good job.

When I'm seriously listening now I go for vinyl unless I only have the material on CD or cassette. Casual listening it's hard to beat the no-hassle CD. An hour of uninterrupted music and a choice of random and/or repeat is tough to beat.

But records rule. Playing with tables, carts, and styli, tonearm set-up, and other minutia is a hobby. So is finding cool albums at Goodwill for $1

Couldn't cast a vote because, no matter what I think sounds best, my main source is broadcast radio (by a large margin). There wasn't a choice for that.

Couldn't cast a vote because, no matter what I think sounds best, my main source is broadcast radio (by a large margin). There wasn't a choice for that.

That's true. I assumed "other than radio". 25,000 miles a year for work, plus my own drive time is a lot of hours. Now throw in background music while working on the hobbies and radio would win out by a large margin.

It still sounds relatively poor even with upgraded gear in the vehicles. Some days, it's great, Some days it's terrible. Most days it's acceptable to poor. I need an outdoor antenna...

I need an outdoor antenna...

ME TOO! I left a fine antenna in the attic of my last house, like a dummy. Even at home I am as likely as not to turn on the radio, wasteland that it seems to be these days.

BUT, after radio I'm about 50% LPs and 40% CDs and 10% everything else.

Back
Top Bottom