Your main system - Tubes, Solid State or both?

My main system consists of:

• Total voters

joeinid

I'm just wondering how many of you have only tube, solid state or a mix of both McIntosh components in your main system.

Living room is a C46 driving a pair of monobloc'd MC240's. Bedroom is a Bryston BP25 running 4 x MC30's in a biamp setup.:beatnik: I run all digital sources.

Thank you everyone so far, very interesting. I like to alternate but it is undeniable to me that tubes give a special something that solid state can not.

My main gear....

All tube MA2275
All solid state MX122 into MC452 and MC207
Outboard volume adj DAC straight into MC275VI

Well this survey is a bit complicated for me, as the choices don`t quite cover my situation(s) completely !! My main living room system has a solid state preamp driving a triamp`d set of XRT 30`s powered by 4 re-issued MC 275`s ea. mono`d for the high`s & mid`s and 2 MC 1201`s wired for 240 v for the low frequency cabs.. However-- I have a nearby subset system(s) setup for my sunroom that allows me to switch between all SS(C27, MC2205) or total tube sans the Velodyne powered subwoofers, by turning on the vintage all original C22 preamp`s power switch which set`s in motion a (4)set(1 for ea. + & - ( left/right )of 30 amp rated speaker relay`s for connection to my Dahlquist DQ 10`s and a custom designed and built by me line level C22 powered on triggered routing switching box to deal with the insertion/routing of the Velodyne`s power amp`s in and out crossover connections between the SS C27/MC2205 combination rig and whatever tube power amp I happen to be running at the time fed by the C22, for when I just `got`s to have total, sans the source and the SS sub, tube sound... Currently that would be my MC 225.. A crazy as it sounds. . My rotating( 4 Dynaco, Mk III`s,2 MC 30`s, ARC D76A ) tube amps in this setup are placed in my completely cleaned out unused fireplace that I quit using back in the early nineties(I do live in NE. FL. !!) .. So.... why not let all that waste heat go up the chute instead of telling my A/C`s thermostat that the windows are all open on a hot summers day/evening while I`m having a tube sound experience "woody" !! Damn it`s bad enough when friends show up on the weekend for me to turn on the main system !! Then my A/C really does accuse me of having all the windows and doors open while it consumes easily well over 20 amps average combined for A/V engagements !! Those 4 MC 275`s & the lonely center channel MC60 sonic space heaters can heat up a living room pretty quick !! Flip on a Sony 4K projector and you can have some more additional & substantial heat load in no time with the A/C set at 75 degrees.. But I knew that going in, and it`s all about the experience... Right ? Till your electric bill reminds you :yikes: of your big ass system enjoyment costs !! HA !! You can`t take it with you !!! Regards, OKB

Vintage rebuilt Mc275,Clarinet tube linestage,tube phono stage.My M & K subs.have S.S. plate amps,so I'm not 100% tubes,but close.

MC225 and MX110Z running ADS 910 speakers. I will be biamping with a 2100 eventually so all tube for now and a hybrid eventually. I used to run the 2100 with the MX110 but found the Mc225 and subbed it in. Both setups sound great. I am really looking forward to hearing the biamp when the 2100 is refurbished. Cheeers!

Back
Top Bottom