Your photo, critiqued and/or praised. It's about learning and improving.

Lakepic_zps3iq6swpb.jpg

There's a lot to like here. Nice subject and framing, and the tonality and contrast are dead-on. The only issue is the tilted horizon, IMO.

Well, I'm Back.....Here's a new shot.......no tripod, but this one looks better to me......Fresh shot, taken after the kind input...........originally posted on another site, NO Artistic value......just a snap, really, but I got about 8 of 'em, this one looked right...That flash is Viscous......View attachment 736831

Hope it pleases.......composition is a bit off .................. It did convey the necessary message.....Thanks again....willhowl:cool:

Composition is not bad; it's clearly in the William Eggleston "democratic camera" tradition. ;-) Technically it looks solid: good focus, depth of field, color balance, and contrast.

There's a lot to like here. Nice subject and framing, and the tonality and contrast are dead-on. The only issue is the tilted horizon, IMO.
Thanks! I would have to agree with the tilted horizon, though. I think it was because the tripod wasn't level.

Thanks! I would have to agree with the tilted horizon, though. I think it was because the tripod wasn't level.

I have problems with that too. Some digital cameras have an 'artificial horizon' line you can turn on that functions like a carpenter's level. It's a lifesaver. *goes to owner's manual to see if the camera I'm currently using has it*

1-P1000252.JPG
Simple point and shoot, no tripod. Going for color and repetition of pattern. Would have been better if I could have gotten above and shot down to have more symmetry but I could not get in that position. Sometime you have to settle for the perspective you can get.

This guy would not have appreciated me climbing on his produce.
1-P1000248.JPG

Last edited:
1-P1000266.JPG
I like both the texture and composition here. This was at the end of a long passage way. Here is a thumbnail of the hallway. See it at the end? Thousands must have passed down this hallway and not noticed the beauty of this door hardware because there were so many distracting things to look at.
1-P1000262.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 765416
I like both the texture and composition here. This was at the end of a long passage way. Here is a thumbnail of the hallway. See it at the end? Thousands must have passed down this hallway and not noticed the beauty of this door hardware because there were so many distracting things to look at.
View attachment 765418

I have to say I like pictures such as this a lot. Honestly, nothing I'd change here.

I like this a lot too. I'd probably play with the shadows a little bit to see if they could be lightened some. I find myself guilty too of the tilt. I have paid more attention to my horizon line I call it in the shots I take now.

I like this a lot too. I'd probably play with the shadows a little bit to see if they could be lightened some. I find myself guilty too of the tilt. I have paid more attention to my horizon line I call it in the shots I take now.

Adobe Lightroom lets you fix the "tilt" with a single button, but for this it doesn't really make or break the photo either way. If you don't want to spend money, GIMP is free and very, very powerful, but has a much steeper learning curve. (Unless you're already good at Photoshop)

I'd also like to see a version with MORE contrast and saturation, TBH, but that's just greed; it's fine the way it is, IMO.

ETA:
The one of the hallway would benefit more from perspective fix, since it's architectural photography, and also some burning in on the sunlit parts on the right side.

I personally almost never shoot scenics because I am never happy with them. I like clear subjects close up that you can focus on and compose. But every once in a while by luck of lighting and being somewhere picturesque I get a good one.
1-P1000219.JPG

Adobe Lightroom lets you fix the "tilt" with a single button, but for this it doesn't really make or break the photo either way. If you don't want to spend money, GIMP is free and very, very powerful, but has a much steeper learning curve. (Unless you're already good at Photoshop)

I do use the straightening tool in Aperture, but notice it can crop some based on the amount of straightening needed. I'm old school having started with film in the late '70s, try to get it all right in the camera the first time is my goal. But most appreciate the photo apps for post processing.

I do use the straightening tool in Aperture, but notice it can crop some based on the amount of straightening needed. I'm old school having started with film in the late '70s, try to get it all right in the camera the first time is my goal. But most appreciate the photo apps for post processing.

"Getting it right in camera" is always a good idea, but if makes you feel better, the kind of perspective control you can do in Lightroom or Aperture can be done in the analogue domain, by tilting/shifting the easel under the enlarger - Ansel Adams demonstrated the technique in his book The Print.

What would be cool would be a hand held unipod / monopod like the ones folks take selfies with that had an LCD screen on the base that would help you compose the picture. Does anyone make something like this. That would allow you to get your camera up and over a subject even when you couldn't.

OK - here's one I took last night:

Not sure what the size limit on AK is, but until I figure it out, here's link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevefretz/28233913400/in/dateposted-public/

Since you have it on Flickr, you don't need to upload the jpg here, just copy the URL of the jpg (not of the page) from Flickr and click the image icon at the top of your post entry window to get a box where you copy the URL.

To get the URL: go to the image in Flickr. Click the dowload arrow at the lower right corner and select "View all sizes." Pick the size (usually 1024 wide or 800 high is best) and right click on the image. Select "copy image address." Then go back to the box on Audiokarma and paste in the URL. If you did it right, the URL ends in .jpg and AK shows the image in your post.

View attachment 765415
Simple point and shoot, no tripod. Going for color and repetition of pattern. Would have been better if I could have gotten above and shot down to have more symmetry but I could not get in that position. Sometime you have to settle for the perspective you can get.

This guy would not have appreciated me climbing on his produce.
View attachment 765421
Love the color and texture, but some of the stronger stuff on the right looks cut off to me. I would have tried to move to the right a bit so as to have two complete "leading lines" going into the picture.

Attachments

• Leading lines.jpg
    Leading lines.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 7
Since you have it on Flickr, you don't need to upload the jpg here, just copy the URL of the jpg (not of the page) from Flickr and click the image icon at the top of your post entry window to get a box where you copy the URL.

To get the URL: go to the image in Flickr. Click the dowload arrow at the lower right corner and select "View all sizes." Pick the size (usually 1024 wide or 800 high is best) and right click on the image. Select "copy image address." Then go back to the box on Audiokarma and paste in the URL. If you did it right, the URL ends in .jpg and AK shows the image in your post.

Thanks, got it - refer to the OP for the pic.

Back
Top Bottom