Your photo, critiqued and/or praised. It's about learning and improving.

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by tybrad, Sep 9, 2012.

1. danj

danj modern primitive

That image is an old scan from a slide. Gaeta's Aragonese-Angevine castle is a very popular photographic subject. Here's a tweaked version plus a shot of Gaeta's oldtown from the port side with the castle in the background. (Larger on Photobucket but no go there.)
    1613534 - Copy copy.jpg

US Navy 1973-1977-033.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. onepixel

onepixel .

I would've taken a little more of the left side. More on top and less bottom/foreground. The top looks crunched and the plants in front don't add anything.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Smallies likes this.
  3. malden

malden Super Member

Just found this thread.......I like the earlier versions with less depth of field better. This one just makes me hungrier.

4. malden

malden Super Member

this is my favorite...:thumbsup:

5. frperdurabo

frperdurabo AK Member Subscriber

I've been shooting a lot of film lately. Mamiya 645J, 210mm, Portra 400.

Attached Files:

Eywadude, malden and Wildcat like this.
  6. malden

malden Super Member

7. Montycat

Montycat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I haven't been here in a while but I just got "liked" and it brought me back. :)

Here's one from several years ago that I was reminded of lately.

[​IMG]Morocco 1483 by Buhduh, on Flickr

Eywadude and malden like this.
  8. malden

malden Super Member

bowery street.jpg

MannyE likes this.
  9. malden

malden Super Member

10. malden

malden Super Member

11. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

I'm crazy about the color in this one. Details of the source of red light, and how you got the image into electronic form?

12. danj

danj modern primitive

"Crunched"? Cropping it further would reduce the sense of location and scale. Reducing the foregound would work. This is, btw, a full image scan of a slide taken in 1975 with a 35mm lens.

13. frperdurabo

I use an Epson V600 scanner for the 120 stuff. A V550 would work just as well. Scanning's done at 2400dpi, although I understand the actual hardware resolution is less than that (1600dpi) or so, as 48bit .tiff files. If you shoot a lot of 120 or 4x5 or 8x10, get a V700 or higher, if you can - they're a bit higher res.

I import into Lightroom and play with contrast and color correction. Film, even more than digital, "sees" artificial light sources differently than our eyes do. (I may've turned an orange cast in the foreground a bit redder by playing with the orange "hue" slider, too). I use the graduated tool and the adujstment brush to darken bright areas and bring up dark areas - just as you'd dodge or burn in conventional dark room.

If you go to www.steve-fretz.com and follow the "Tech Talk" menu option there are some examples shown step by step.

14. frperdurabo

[​IMG] I bought a Fuji GX680 from eBay. After fixing some pinholes in the bellows and replacing the battery in the back, it was time to test it again.

15. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

If I had to nitpick, I might have more of the stylus in focus, but the colors and exposure are fantastic. Not to mention, the shallow depth of field is great in this shot. Well done. :)

malden likes this.
  16. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

Now it's time for all of you to nitpick. ;)...

Taken with my old circa 2004 6MP Casio point and shoot, this is a non-cropped, unedited shot of the flaking paint on my neighbor's chimney with the late evening sunlight hitting it from an angle. Every once in a while I like to pull out that old Casio to challenge myself to take decent shots with it. Overall, I think it came out pretty good. As a side note, the bow of the chimney on the right side isn't barrel distortion, that's just the way the plaster work of the chimney is shaped. Also, sorry for the smaller image size. I don't use cloud storage, so I can't upload a link for a larger image size here.

CIMG1616 copy 3.JPG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    malden likes this.

17. onepixel

onepixel .

You asked for suggestions. Just calling it the way I see it.

18. danj

danj modern primitive

And I respectfully disagree with your assessment of side cropping. You have my permission to download it and crop it as you like. Maybe that will make your case and change my mind.

Cheers.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    onepixel likes this.
  19. 91r100gs

91r100gs Lunatic Member

New to this photography hobby. For years I used a Fuji F650 P&S which takes really nice pics. About two years ago I bought a Nikon D3200 with 2 kit lenses. Have not even used the 55-200mm lense. Normally use the 6mp setting as the advanced settings are not forum friendly. Most of my pics are spur of the moment affairs. Below is a pic I took a month or so ago. It is cropped but I think I did not touch it up, cant remember for sure. It was auto everything as I don't practice enough to go to manual. All suggestions will be accepted with an open mind.
    DSC_0002 (4).JPG

20. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

I think the color is very good, especially for "auto everything." Many cameras attempt to correct the orange color out of sunsets when set to full automatic, so it is usually better to set the white balance manually to "daylight" (or use a "sunset" mode if the camera has one).