Your photo, critiqued and/or praised. It's about learning and improving.

Hi, Bogframe!

My 30 second quick impression:

Pluses:
Properly exposed and framed
The glow from the flames fading off as you go down the candles is really nice

Minuses (which keep it from being more than a snapshot):
Use of on-camera direct flash makes it impossible to see the surroundings, so any ambience is lost.
The cloth on the left is bright and therefore the eye goes to it, but not enough is included for it to be part of the composition.

So, I think the barely visible background either should have been lit (if relevant), or the picture could be edited to make the background completely dark and non-distracting.

What's the take on this picture? Crop and rotate so the building in the background is straight up or leave as is (maybe with a little cropping). Rotating removes some of the face on the right.

I have learned in general I need to zoom out a bit. Need to leave some room for slight rotations, crops, and side wrap on canvas prints.

DSC_0629 editedl.jpg DSC_0629 small.jpg

What's the take on this picture? Crop and rotate so the building in the background is straight up or leave as is (maybe with a little cropping). Rotating removes some of the face on the right.

I have learned in general I need to zoom out a bit. Need to leave some room for slight rotations, crops, and side wrap on canvas prints.

It's unfortunate that the girl on the right is so cut off, and cutting off more makes it worse IMO.
What do you think about some major editing to replace the background and some cropping on the left and top only?background cloned.jpg

It's unfortunate that the girl on the right is so cut off, and cutting off more makes it worse IMO.
What do you think about some major editing to replace the background and some cropping on the left and top only?View attachment 1070127

Mmm. Thats not bad. Although to be honest I would prefer a background that isn't quite so homogeneous.

I just really have to make an effort to give some breathing room when framing. And make sure things are vertical and not a little crooked. I thought the limited coverage of the viewfinder would help add extra room around the subject, but that really hasn't been the case.

iPhone from my D750 with, iirc, an old Nikon 70-210 F4, from the side of the road,View attachment 1070461 in the snow

With the disclaimer that I'm not sure I am qualified to critique anybody -

I would frame this a little differently. Have the monument be off center. Plus the trees on the left being the same height are a little distracting. Maybe crop it like this?

critique.jpg

Great capture! But shots of wildlife are almost never cropped the best - it's hard enough to get the moment of action and have it in focus.

To me, the pelican is the obvious subject and shouldn't have competition from a large area of (beautifully colored) sky; plus there is the convention of action going INTO the scene. Add to that the dramatic wing spread up to the left, and it impels me to crop this image to emphasize the bird, something like this:

Pelican approach.jpg

Great capture! But shots of wildlife are almost never cropped the best - it's hard enough to get the moment of action and have it in focus.

To me, the pelican is the obvious subject and shouldn't have competition from a large area of (beautifully colored) sky; plus there is the convention of action going INTO the scene. Add to that the dramatic wing spread up to the left, and it impels me to crop this image to emphasize the bird, something like this:

View attachment 1092152

Definitely not easy to capture as the pelican didnt give me much notice as he was coming in for a landing. I didnt want to remove the colors that the sunset was giving to the left otherwise I would have cropped it closer to 1:1. Kinda tough getting the photo right when you only have seconds at best to shoot. Still I love shooting pelicans. :)

2018-01-16 08-01-29 (A,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg

Taken with Panasonic FZ2500 and a reversed Helios 44M-5 lens. I do know the corners are soft....I am working on figuring out how to get the whole snow crystal into focus when taking with this setup. If you are on a normal computer, the snow crystal seen here could fit into the middle of this o very easily....

No critique to offer on the snowflake, just wondering what makes the nicely varied background?

I took the picture on glass, with a flashlight beneath it from an angle. I have some random white and blue paper in the bottom of the box that gives that background.

Definitely not easy to capture as the pelican didnt give me much notice as he was coming in for a landing. I didnt want to remove the colors that the sunset was giving to the left otherwise I would have cropped it closer to 1:1. Kinda tough getting the photo right when you only have seconds at best to shoot. Still I love shooting pelicans. :)

I like Pelicans too. I like the pic a lot, but agree to the cropping. I played with your photo a bit to just look at a cropped version. Hope you don't mind as it was good to take a little break from work.Pelikan Crop.jpg

Its no problem. My photo is called "The Landing" so cropping it would change what the photo is saying. :)

I like the photo a lot. It's too bad the lower right isn't in better focus. I know it's not easy with moving subjects! Do you think it was even possible given the DOF you had? It's hard to tell the difference in distance between the bird in flight and the one on the pier.

Nice pose!

Some thoughts:
Could it be cropped a little less on top and bottom?
or
Could it be cropped very tightly left and right to concentrate on the face (including the left ear, though) [EDIT - I meant the dog's right ear , on the left of the photo]
and/or
How about dodging the shaded eye a bit to bring it out more?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom