Your photo, critiqued and/or praised. It's about learning and improving.

IF there's an exposure lock, you could lock in a bright light and then focus on the moon.

Personally I use manual when shooting the moon. I seem to remember 1/125 sec, F/8, ISO 100 is a good place to start. Also recommend shooting in RAW so you can fiddle with the image more later.

Reactions: 0Hz
Tonight's moon shot @ 9-PM,1/800 f5.6 ISO -1 I set the ISO, the camera set the rest.
I tried the settings that old_tv_nut suggested. Funny thing. I found out last night's shots were with the Macro mode on. I know, rookie mistake :dunno:
PA230066a.jpg

Last edited:
That's a nice shot, really big improvement.
I'm guessing your camera has a digital zoom? Man I don't miss that stuff :beerchug:

Much better! Glad you found the macro. Stuff like that has killed me before too - left some setting on that I should have reset.

Tonight's moon shot @ 9-PM,1/800 f5.6 ISO -1 I set the ISO, the camera set the rest.
I tried the settings that old_tv_nut suggested. Funny thing. I found out last night's shots were with the Macro mode on. I know, rookie mistake :dunno:
View attachment 1313171

What's the ISO on this? It looks like it has a lot of noise. Also I gotta say don't crop off the bottom like that.

The moon is very bright and you don't need high ISO or really fast shutter speeds. Are you using a VR lens? If not then may want to use a tripod. Although you have to constantly adjust it for the moon's movement.

What's the ISO on this? It looks like it has a lot of noise. Also I gotta say don't crop off the bottom like that.

The moon is very bright and you don't need high ISO or really fast shutter speeds. Are you using a VR lens? If not then may want to use a tripod. Although you have to constantly adjust it for the moon's movement.

They're using a point and shoot Olympus SP-800UZ. Frankly, I'm impressed it looks that good :beatnik: Even CNET gave it 2.5 stars

They're using a point and shoot Olympus SP-800UZ. Frankly, I'm impressed it looks that good :beatnik: Even CNET gave it 2.5 stars

Oh OK. Makes sense then.

To @RickeyM maybe try converting it to black and white? That should help with the color noise, and the moon is pretty monotone anyway. If you have an iphone the photo app is an easy way to do that.

The tips you guys gave really helped, thanks. The cropping was purely accidental. I had the zoom pretty far out with the image stabilization on and I was trying to center the image. I guess I should have brought the zoom in a bit but with these cameras adjusting the zoom isn't what you's call precise. I had the camera braced against a porch railing post. Would having the camera mounted on a tripod help with the sharpness of the image?

The tips you guys gave really helped, thanks. The cropping was purely accidental. I had the zoom pretty far out with the image stabilization on and I was trying to center the image. I guess I should have brought the zoom in a bit but with these cameras adjusting the zoom isn't what you's call precise. I had the camera braced against a porch railing post. Would having the camera mounted on a tripod help with the sharpness of the image?

A tripod will help with movement related blurrying and sharpness issues, yes. But it has to be a decent tripod if you live in a windy area (wind can introduce camera shake). What will also help when using a tripod, is if your camera has a timer delay, set it to 5 seconds or more. Quality-wise you probably won't get much more out of your images though, but they will probably come out sharper and more clear looking, as long as you don't abuse your zoom setting.

A monopod is really more ideal for things like macrophotography, or for playing around with in daylight settings where you can afford to use much faster shutter speeds; sports, animals, etc. Shooting anything at night will greatly benefit from tripod use. You might get better results with you monopod if you find a secure location where you can reliably set a timer, initiate the shot and then let go without worry about it falling over, etc.

If your camera has a focus-lock you will need to lock focus before actually taking the picture. If at all possible move the focus-lock to another button other than the shutter release.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm keen to see how much I can get out of the equipment I have. Also I have other shots I'd like to be critiqued so stay tuned.

The slide photos below were taken ages ago in the late 1990s on a Yashica 635 TLR. The one of Black Rock Cottage, appart from the mucky mark top right, there is what looks like a weave pattern easily seen on the sky. At first I thought it was from the plastic sleeve but when I took it out of the sleeve, it was just the same. The slide below doesn’t have the problem. I only used my iPad to capture them to see them on screen but I’m glad I didn’t waste money sending them away to be printed!
It is a complete mystery :dunno:and disappointment. I don’t have a macro lens which is why I used my iPad but it wouldn’t have helped anyway.
2B9AE8D8-8DC0-4B3E-AC35-433EDF04BDD8.jpeg 84D6452B-F592-4CAD-960E-1F36ECB0E6E7.jpeg

Was the sleeve textured like that? If so then it probably imprinted on the emulsion on the slide.
It’s not the sleeve either because I took it out of the sleeve to capture it and as I said, the bottom is pattern free. It must have picked up a pattern from somewhere. It lay in a drawer for so long. I just remembered they were there and thought I’d give them a try.

The only thing I can think of is that they picked up some pattern from something due to my carelessness. I used to have pastel art paper that had a similar pattern so it may have been that. It’s all I can think of. I’m not sure I like the colours anyway now. The greens and blues are too strong as in this photo.
6B695DAF-E446-4A65-B633-0E9CEE8E941C.jpeg

You appear to be laying them directly on the phone. If so, and your iPad focuses precisely on the phone screen, you will see various kinds of moire' patterns. I'm 99% sure that's what it is. You need to separate the slide from the phone by several inches so the pixels on the phone are definitely out of focus. Unfortunately, the phone screen may then be too small to light up the entire slide.

Back
Top Bottom