• Other (please specify in thread)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters
Preferred source is vinyl
Main source is CD

Don't care for SACD, DVD-A or MP3

Every CD and LP I own is backed up in AAC format though

-Dave

I noticed that semantic difference... my poll was intended to be what is your MAIN source for tunes ;)

CK

Ditto!

Originally posted by Dave918
Preferred source is vinyl
Main source is CD

Don't care for SACD, DVD-A or MP3

Every CD and LP I own is backed up in AAC format though

-Dave

I couldn't agree more! And most all my LPs and CDs are also backed up on the lowly, antiquated audio cassette tape, courtesy of numerous Nakamichi decks!

As of late..it is my MP3 collection...

Unless...I'm doin some critical listening..then I break out the ole CDs and Vinyl!!......

CD. No contest. I take downloaded MP3's, convert them to .wav's and burn 'em to CD's. Then I delete the MP3's. (No, my ears CAN'T tell the difference; ear damage in my youth) Add to this all the CD's I've copied from public libraries and friends. Plus ripping LP's and cassette tracks to burn make CD the main source for me.

IMHO, CD blew away LP's and tape for good the day I first heard a CD in 1986.

EDIT: Bringing TT out of retirement for the LP's and 45's I can't get on CD and can't be bothered ripping.

Tom

Last edited:
Has to be FM

Considering I've put almost 60000 miles on my Van in the last two years, it doesn't have a CD , so most of the time was with FM. At home it is usually FM becasue it's the easiet. CD when I want to listen to something particular and have a bit of time. The vinyl is usually for occcasions when I have more time and can keep an eye on the cats so they don't jump on the TT when it's playing. We have a good FM station here that plays everything EXCEPT top 40, lots of roots, blues, Jazz and worls music so the variety is good. It's also non-profit radio so there is less advertising than on top 40 stations.

I'll give CKUA a plug here too. It can be heard online at www.ckua.org

Ken

It has now been more than 20 years since I bought any vinyl. Though you didn't ask us to rank them, mine listening is mostly CD (90+ %), FM (maybe 7-8%), and the occasional piece of vinyl.

For critical listening vinyl first then CD but most of the day I have my cable box tuned to the Music Choice Jazz Channel. :smoke:

Preferred source is vinyl.Most often listen to FM since my job takes me on the road most of the time.I have an extensive vinyl collection and if I'm firing up the home stereo it's usually to play a record.Sometimes CDs for stuff I can't get on vinyl.Plus I have some vintage jukeboxes where I play all my 45s.So much easier than changing a record after only 2 or 3 minutes.

Mainly FM since we are lucky enough to have a classical station that never heard of a compresor. In fact they recently started broadcasting in High Definition format, which sort of makes me chuckle since there isn't a receiver or speaker in the house that was built after 1980. Other than the clock radios and a Walkman, that is.

Rob

1st choice: I use FM a great deal here in the Lawrence KS-KC area with 2 good NPR stations and 2 free spirit independents. FM is good because I don't have to decide what to play or change anything.

2nd choice: CD's are great because they are durable and usually sound pretty good.

Last choice: Vinyl can be great under perfect circumstances, but I no longer have time to deal with it - done with the scratches, pops and fragile precious recordings. Some say that it doesn't have to be that way with the surface noise. I don't want to be bothered with it, nor do I want to invest a fortune in phono equipment. :no:

This thread is not fair to the scarcer analogue formats, I think!
e.g. If an album I really wanted were available on REEL TAPE, VINYL, CD or hi-rez digital, I certainly woudn't want to get the CD version. Yet, it's often the only format music gets released on.
I plan on finding new reel tapes to copy my vinyl albums on aswell as my best cd's, this is for the future.
I've done countless recordings of live classical and jazz music, first using a mediocre converterr then using a professional ADAC by Apogee and while these recordings are worthwhile for archieving music, they sound artificial compared to what originally came trough the mic-pre. I compared countless times while recording the live concert, switching between a headphone jack before and after digital conversion and without headphone; live sound! (studio has an opening in the wall to the concert hall). Thanks to the soundfield microphone what comes trough the mic pre sounds so good, and I find it sad not to be able to capture that sound.

Last edited:
Fm

Another reason that I like FM is that I feel connected to the outside world. Maybe some deep seated need left over from the cold war years? Here in Kansas, they break in with storm alerts so my dumb cheap ass doesn't blow away.

i easily listen to fm for the majority of my critical listening. and no, it's not in the car - i hardly ever listen to radio in the car.

in the dc metro area, wpfw - 89.3 - plays a lot of jazz, latin, caribbean & african music, all of which i really like. and, the station has a strong signal & is relatively uncompressed. the sound is excellent. it is easy to tell when they're playing a cd or lp. ;)

i also don't mind the fact that wpfw is a pacifica radio station member, which means you get another slant on the news compared to what's awailable from the usual suspects.

their fund-drive starts next week - SEND MONEY!!! :naughty: unlike typical npr stations, for example, wpfw really *IS* noncommercial - they take *NO* corporate funds. check 'em out online:

http://wpfw.org/

doug s.

CD is definitely my main source at over 1300 now, but I still love to spin vinyl. I think I have around 300 or 400 LP's now. Reel to Reel is cool watching those big ole reels spinning slowly around. But CD's are convenient and some sound really good production wise. I just aquired a new stylus for one of my PL-88FS TT's (a rare moving coil type @ $78 shipped from the UK) so I am starting to spin more LP's again. The dynamics of LP's is what keeps me coming back for more. The only draw back is finding a really clean LP but yet it pops alot during play? :dunno:

I purposely waited two years before I jumped on the CD craze like everyone was doing. I thought the format would be around for a long time but wanted to see where it would go.

Back
Top Bottom