Votes: 11 2.8%
  • FM

Votes: 32 8.1%
  • MP3 or other computer format

Votes: 33 8.4%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters
My main source is vinyl but running a close second is CD. However, now that I have an HTPC built and running through my Pioneer Specs in the listening room I have access to my iTunes library and so MP-3's may replace my CD's.

my main source is my computer's soundcard line out.. i have a soundblaster Audigy2 Z5 which is a decient soundcard.. it sounds much better than my onboard. i play mp3's from my computer mostly
but i have to admit i think my cdplayer sounds more lively! i dont really use any other format.
out of both of my cdplayers one sounds about the same as the mp3 it was burned from on my computer.. and the other cd player sounds a whole lot better.

My main source for the past couple of years --when I'm seriously listening to music-- has been vinyl. It has been (and remains) both fun and pleasurable for me.

Before that, it was CDs for a few years.

A fair amount of radio (FM mostly, but occasionally, because of programming an AM station(!)) is interspersed in there, too. In fact, there are periods when radio is my biggest source, at least by time spent listening. But radio is usually "background" while I do something else, like work (or post on AK :D) on the computer. I don't use radio for purposeful LISTENING.

I do sometimes listen to cassettes (the Nak ZX-9 is very nice! :music:). I'd really love to spend more time listening to R2R, but I don't have enough tapes. It's hard to find tapes in HK that aren't moldy! :sigh:

Recently I've been playing with computer-based digital sound. Just starting to learn the ins and outs, really, but intending to set up a PC-based server system. I've been burning CDs to hard disc using Exact Audio Copy, and extracting the sound from the hard disk via a (Trends Audio) USB connector, to a Behringer 2496 for anti-jitter/upscaling, and then to a Musical Fidelity X-24K DAC, through a (Chinese-made tube) preamp to headphones. I like the initial results, and will be doing more in this direction, eventually putting all my CDs on external HD in hi-res lossless format and using it as another input in my main system, mostly for convenience.

Actually, the sound quality of even my cobbled-together PC music set-up is getting good enough that it has kept me hesitating over whether to buy a really high-end stand-alone CD player. I want one, but part of me keeps saying that it won't sound any better than a computer-based system is capable of, if set up right. And if that is true and more people catch on, etc... then the price of those ultra-good stand-alone CD players is going to plummet, the way LaserDisc player prices did when everyone switched to DVDs.

I'm TRYING to enjoy the abundance of online streaming stations, too, many of which play music I like more than most of what is available on local radio, but the compressed and limited sound quality most of them offer is just not good enough for me to want to listen to for long.

Still, I may try more tweaking in that direction (considering a squeezebox with external DAC...), because I would LIKE it to sound good! I've heard that there are hi-res broadcasters, but I haven't had much luck yet getting them to work well with my current set-up. Maybe after a computer upgrade?

I also enjoy listening to --believe it or not-- old-time radio shows, streamed off the 'net. I've listened to 400+ episodes of Gunsmoke TWICE (800+ shows, with repeats) over the past few years, plus several other series. It's not music, but it is fun! :yes: I actually prefer imagining the scenes in my head to seeing someone else's versions on television!

Vinyl at home,
CD's in car,
Ripped MP3's through computer soundcard at work.

I listen to music at work cumulatively more than anywhere else, but prefer the ritual and music selection I have on vinyl.

My favourite source is my turntable. But my most listened to source, is my PC connected to an FM micro transmitter and a dbx 226 compressor, and then listening on my tuner. I just run radio automation software on a second PC and broadcast it around the house for background music.

i like my computers line out because of the convinience and simple click to scan to any specific point within a song..

but for sould quality i like the CD better

my main scorce is open reel tape, 7 1/2 i.p.s., when mixed the right way with the right deck, nothing beats it. just my prefrence.

My main source is FM , we are bless with three great public radio stations in Louisville . But if tomorrow they were gone nothing else to listen to on the dial here IMHO .

Vinyl is played more the CD or any other media after the radio .

Barney

Back
Top Bottom