Your Rib Recipes

20180901_121745.jpg Hey all
I just got back from the Costco. ( $200. Later)
St. Louis style ribs.
A thin coat of yellow mustard, a nice sprinkling of cook shack rib rub. I'll do a loose interpretation of the 3,2,1 method with butter, brown sugar in the wrap. Jack stack or sweet baby rays sauce.
Oh yeah hickory/pecan wood. Eric

Having ribs on Monday when my daughter's home. She'd kill me if I made them when she's not here to have some.

Johnno_Oz, thanks for the links. Some really good info there.

Last edited:
Sorry - no pics of the ribs.

The family and guests were hungry and pawing at the ribs as soon as they came off the smoker.

Good balance of smoke to rub profile to porky tender goodness.

The star of the day though was bacon wrapped tatertots with a wedge of hot Hatch green chile inside the wrap.
bacon-hatch-tatertots.jpg

Roasted at 450F for 20 minutes. These were amazing!

Plain or guest choice of ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing, or bbq sauce for dipping.

The way I often cook ribs probably wouldn't appeal to the purists out there. I first cook them in pressure cooker for about 30 minutes until tender, then slather them with sauce and brown them on a hot grill and serve. My wife and I both work on Saturdays so it is a quick way get some ribs going on Saturday night. I recently bought a gas powered smoker, though, and will give that a whirl soon when I have the time.

Last night's fair, I likes my ribs extra meaty lol. As mentioned earlier in this thread, proprietary dry rub, direct heat to seal in the juices, indirect heat for one hr, glaze with Sweet Baby Ray's then foil wrap indirect heat for 30 minutes, remove from foil and direct heat both sides for 2 minutes for a bit more crisp.

Fall off the bone tenderness in one and a half hrs with a slight crunch around the edge.

20180902_165202.jpg 20180902_183131.jpg 20180902_183547.jpg

Last edited:
OK gang, I need some schoolin'. I want to hear how you guys and gals smoke pork ribs!

I've used the cheap Brinkmann water smokers (both charcoal and electric) and they're OK but never quite right. Current charcoal one doesn't heat up worth a darn. Seeing a lot of recipes saying to smoke ribs at 225F and this thing struggles to get to 190F.

Mrs. Tox, bless her heart, talked to her sister, who has a much nicer machine, and long story short, a heavy box appeared on the porch.

View attachment 1256445
Traeger pellet smoker/grill with auto temp control and auger feed.
:banana:

So here's the deal. Give us the following:
Do you trim spare ribs or leave everything on?
Rubs or marinades?
How long and what temp do you smoke?
Any tricks like wrapping in foil partway through or spritzing with apple juice?
Do you check final temp of the ribs or go by time and smoker temp?
Saucing?

Post pics too if you got em.

Light me up! :beerchug:

[Later, we'll do pork shoulder and maybe brisket, although no one can afford that in these parts, beef is through the roof and the drought isn't helping!]

Hi toxcrusadr, I started with a Brinkmann electric, moved on to a small Traeger and am now using a Green Mountain Daniel Boone.

The GM-DB works the best for me of the 3, holds temperature quite well, provides plenty of cooking space and pellet hopper is good sized.
Regarding rib choice, I go for the loin back ribs, their meatier and don't require trimming, they're on sale often here for $2.99/lb.regular price is $3.99/lb.

I use a marinade which I created taking the parts I liked from other recipes both rubs and marinades. I'll post recipe below along with a pic of my latest rib cook.

Cooking times are with the recipe, I put a piece of aluminum foil folded to 6" wide under the ribs, this keeps them from getting too dark on the under side.

Trick: constant basting with Marinade every half hour, this creates a nice glaze.

Always check final temp just to be sure.

No one that has had my ribs ever asked for a sauce, picture at bottom shows why.

Recipe: Spicy Pork Ribs - measurements below are heaped measuring spoons, not leveled off at top of spoon

¼ Cup Apple Juice

¼ Cup Cider Vinegar

1 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)

1 tsp Black Pepper

1 tsp Aleppo Pepper

2 tsp Spanish Smoked Paprika

1 Tbsp Garlic Powder

1 tsp Onion Powder

½ tsp Cayenne Powder

Marinate ribs in refrigerator 2 to 3 days, take them out twice a day and redistribute the marinade.

I like using Pecan pellets but Mesquite, Apple and Hickory have also worked well for me

Cook in pellet grill at 165 for 3 hrs, basting ribs every half hour,

Turn up to 225 for another 1½ hrs., continue basting every half hour.

Having ribs on Monday when my daughter's home. She'd kill me if I made them when she's not here to have some.

Johnno_Oz, thanks for the links. Some really good info there.

Glad you like them, as they say, "Never trust a skinny chef.". Malcolm is a BIG man.

It's a lesson in economics with ribs. They're a pretty ordinary cut of pork due to the toughness, gristle and sinew, most likely very cheap or even thrown out in days gone by. Some American ingenuity has made them the most expensive!

Ribs turned out OK I guess but still dry and tough IMO, certainly not falling off the bone. I expected world class ribs and was kinda disappointed.

A chef taught me this years ago. we still do it this way and they come out great.
put the ribs in a pot and cover with a 50/50 mix of water and pineapple juice.
bring to a boil then simmer with the lid on for a hour.
I finish them on the grill with barbeque sauce.
they come out nice and tender. not quite falling off the bone but close.
we boil 6-8 racks at a time and vacuum seal and freeze them.

My homemade sauce for ribs and burgers.
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup mustard
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tbls apple cider vinegar
1 tbls liquid smoke
2 tbls onion powder
1 tbls garlic powder
1 tbls chili powder
if your going to eat them the same day you parboil them put them in the
fridge and cool them down before putting the sauce
on then. coat with a good layer of sauce and cook
them in the oven or on the grill until the sauce glazes.

Last edited:
The way I often cook ribs probably wouldn't appeal to the purists out there. I first cook them in pressure cooker for about 30 minutes until tender, then slather them with sauce and brown them on a hot grill and serve. My wife and I both work on Saturdays so it is a quick way get some ribs going on Saturday night. I recently bought a gas powered smoker, though, and will give that a whirl soon when I have the time.
Yeah thats the way I do country ribs, but only 15 minutes of cooking time after the pressure regulator starts jiggling. Then on a hot barbecue with Sweet Baby Rays for 5 minutes a side. Heresey, I know, but fast simple and surprisingly good

Back
Top Bottom