Your semi-auto handgun caliber of choice?

89grand

Addicted Member
Mine is 9mm. I have 4 9mm's, and one .40S&W, but I don't think I'll ever buy another .40 again unless I got a great deal on say a used one. I wouldn't mind having a .45 just because they're cool, probably some sort of 1911.

Here's my reasoning behind 9mm.

1. It's the cheapest to shoot of all reasonably sized calibers by a decent margin, even the lesser .380 costs more, as I can get PMC 9mm for $10 a box vs about $15 for .40 and about $19 for .45. (I know there are probably better deals out there, but these are common prices around my parts when not on sale or anything, and it's just for the sake of comparison.)
2. In same family of hand guns (Glock, Ruger, S&W M&P, Springfield, FN, etc) the 9mm's have a higher capacity.
3. Modern ammunition design makes the 9mm very effective, and close enough to the .40 and .45 to be a non-issue.
4. It might not always be the easiest ammo to find, but it's never been the hardest to find.
5. So far anyway, all of my shooting for over 20 years has been just for fun, never self defense so the cheaper to shoot the better.

I always find it funny when people think the 9mm is not stout enough for the task (talking self defense here, not bear hunting). I assume it's a lack of understanding of ballistics, and or reading too many mall ninja opinions on the internet, because it simply isn't true. I also usually find it funny when people think they only need 6 shots or less. I've never had to defend my life, but I'm going to guess if I ever do, I'll be shooting worse than normal, and I like the idea of having "enough" ammo just in case. Even target shooting is more fun with less reloading of magazines. Higher capacity is a win win in my book.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have no issue with anyone preferring .40 or .45 or even odd ball stuff like .357 Sig, as long as it isn't because of ignorance of the 9mm cartridge.

Discuss.:scratch2:

Last edited:
Never shot a .40, but a lot of everything else. Nothing wrong with 9mm at all. I'm a .45 ACP guy, though. 1911 is still one of the coolest looking pistols ever. :yes:

Never shot a .40, but a lot of everything else. Nothing wrong with 9mm at all. I'm a .45 ACP guy, though. 1911 is still one of the coolest looking pistols ever. :yes:

I love 1911's but I've never owned one. Of course good ones aren't cheap, and that is the main reason I don't have one now. Although I've heard pretty good things about the Rock Island Armory guns, and they're pretty cheap. I like the new Ruger 1911, but being a lefty, I'd need to swap out some parts, at least a ambi-safety switch.

The 1911 is probably the best looking semi-auto handgun ever made. Hard to believe it was designed over 100 years ago.:yes:

I don't think I'd buy anything other than a 1911 in .45.

I can, w/my S&W Model 41, prolly do as good or better than any of you here...And a hit w/a .22 is a lot better than a Miss w/anything else...If you ever get the chance to own/shoot a Model 41, you'll understand what I'm talkin' about..

In handguns, I have an S&W 5906 (Stainless 9mm) and a Ruger MkII .22.

I like the 9mm because it is a NATO round, and can be found anywhere out of the US. The Ruger is for shooting with the cheapest ammo.

I plan on picking up a 1911 (or some variation in .45) for the same reason as the 9mm. Ammo anywhere.

I have a Star Model 30 and a Star Firestar, both Spanish 9mm's, the Model 30 being a full size double action with a 15rnd mag, and the Firestar being one of the earliest compacts, a single action 7 shot. I also have a Ruger SR9 and a SR9c, plus a Ruger P94, that's the .40. I bought the P94 during the so called assault weapons ban, and since I was limited to a 10 rnd magazine, I figured I may as well get a .40 rather than an equal sized 9mm that also only held 10. I no longer have any desire for 40's now though.

Last edited:
I can, w/my S&W Model 41, prolly do as good or better than any of you here...And a hit w/a .22 is a lot better than a Miss w/anything else...If you ever get the chance to own/shoot a Model 41, you'll understand what I'm talkin' about..

I don't have any .22 handguns anymore, but I have two different Ruger 10/22's. I'd use a .22 if I had to no questions asked.

Never heard of it but it sure is purdy.

Dad had a Colt Woodsman Match that looked similar. It was the first gun I ever shot and it was a hoot.

Now I'm partial to the 1911 but only because I am familiar with it.

In the end the gun has to match the application. For example I once went coon hunting with my buddy and his dad. They used an old .22 short revolver and it was ample. It was also safe because coon hunting involves shooting up into a tree. You don't want a more powerful round because there is a chance of missing the coon and having the round fly off yonder. That ain't good. :no:

I have a Clot Comander 9mm. It is a scaled down 1911. It just feels right and shoots well. My favorite hand gun.

I currently have a steel frame Combat Commander. Sandy, that Model 41 has always been on my drool-worthy list. :yes:

Never heard of it but it sure is purdy.

Dad had a Colt Woodsman Match that looked similar. It was the first gun I ever shot and it was a hoot.

I have a Colt Marksman Match 22 that is allmost identical to the Woodsman. What a beautiful gun. It seems to fit both my hand and eye very well.

For accuracy overall the 9mm but my .45 is still the one I carry over the 9. Both MK IV's but the .45 in close and that is what a hand gun is for right? Seems the .38 S&W snub nose is in my pocket more though. No safety or cocking to worry about, six ready to go.

Barney

Yeah, I mean I don't care direction the thread takes, but I was mainly talking about typical pistol cartridges, 9mm, .40 and .45, and whatever other less common ones like the .357 Sig, .45 Gap, whatever.

Feel free though to talk about revolver cartridges, like .38, .357, .44 Mag, .500 S&W, .480 Ruger, 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, anything that strikes your fancy.:D

I think the 9mm is a very accurate round and some stopping power. A lot of bang for the buck. But if one has a officers model or a combat commander in .45 and skilled it would be IMHO hands down the best CC weapon .

Barney

KelTec P-11 for CC, otherwise, a Tanfoglio TZ-75. I'm fond of the .40 Baretta, too. Can't stand Glocks.

KelTec's are pretty decent for more budget priced guns, or so what I've read. The CZ75, the gun the Tanfoglio is a copy of, is universally known to kick ass. Glocks rub me the wrong way a bit as well. I know they have great reliability, but they feel wrong in my hand. Before I bought the Ruger SR9, I checked out the Glock 19, The S&W M&P (would have been my second choice) and the Springfield XD, I hated the look and feel of it. I hated the unnecessary grip safety and the unusually high bore axis. On top of all that, the Ruger was about $100 cheaper. If they had been the same price, it would have been a tough call between the SR9 and M&P.

I like the SR9 so much I later bought a SR9c compact too. They've both ran 100% since right out of the box. The SR9 reminds me of a 1911 with its thin profile.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom