Your semi-auto handgun caliber of choice?

Nice!

Hey check out a place called Traction Grips. I just ordered some for my SR9 and SR9c, I got them last Saturday. They're only like $9 and they make the grips feel a lot better. For the SR9c, they even have pieces for the extended magazine slip on piece.

I don't generally use the extended mag since I have a SR9 too, but I had modified my 10 rounder with the pinky extension and cut a piece off from that and put it on the front of my 10 round mag, it works great.

I'll post some pics later of the mod and of the grips.

Yes, please post some pics! I am very interested! Thanks for the heads up.

OK, here are some pics. On the SR9c, I found the base plate for the 10 rounder to be too small, and the pinky extension too long, so I shaved down the pinky extension so that is was just long enough for my pinky to fit.

Another nice thing about the grips is that they can be pulled off and the gun returned back to stock if you ever wanted to, although the grips are so good, I don't think I ever would.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0413.jpg
    IMG_0413.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have a Makarov, it shoots some Russian caliber that's pretty close to 380...I got it in 1990, right as the Soviet Union went out/was going out of business, & the Russians were trying to sell anything/everything they could to try to get money..Pretty well finished up little gun, maybe NOT quite Colt/SW/Browning, but better than a lot of Soviet stuff I'd seen...But, that thing shoots "Hard" as all hell...The grip angle/thickness/material seems to be designed to MAKE it shoot as hard as possible... It came w/a cleaning brush & a holster, a few other trinkets..The holster pretty much self-disintegrated, even tho it was ostensibly leather. It was pretty cheap, I think it was somewhere around $175-200, But the whole business was just kinda pathetic, it made me feel kinda sorry for the Russians, if that was a representation of the level of quality of stuff they had...

Sandy,you can send me that Makarov.I've got one made in East Germany & it's a sweet little shooter,another fun handgun is another combloc handgun, a CZ 52 chambered in 7.62x25.That's a pretty hot little round.

Naw, I'm gonna keep the little Mak...It & the 1955 SKS I have are the ONLY things I have that were Combloc items..Well,I also have a big Polish AM/FM SW radio that was sorta THEIR answer to the big Grundigs, Emuds, Telefunkens, et al of the Fifties..But I WILL say this-If ANY of you EVER run across a S&W Model 41 or 52,& DON'T buy it, you are SERIOUSLY depriving yrself of the finest pistol you'll EVER shoot..The 41 was Smith's target grade .22LR, you can chase a Coke can all over a ploughed field w/one... The 52 is 38 Special wadcutter rounds ONLY, but its as accurate & easy to shoot as the 41...

I've got a S&W 586 .357 magnum 6" bbl that I'm pretty handy with,it's a sweet shootin' wheel gun.

.44 Auto Mag

Howellcase2.jpg

Yeah, I mean I don't care direction the thread takes, but I was mainly talking about typical pistol cartridges, 9mm, .40 and .45, and whatever other less common ones like the .357 Sig, .45 Gap, whatever.

Feel free though to talk about revolver cartridges, like .38, .357, .44 Mag, .500 S&W, .480 Ruger, 454 Casull, 475 Linebaugh, anything that strikes your fancy.:D

That being the case, heres a few of the home defense weapons.
IMG_3207_zps5c84698f.jpg

I have two pistols, both inherited:

.22 Colt Woodsman - really like this.

10mm S&W - don't really care for it. Ammo is hard to find, expensive, and the big frame handgun just isn't for me.

I have fired, and like:

9mm Barretta (military quals) - I was a chaplain, so didn't carry. Borrowed the CSM's pistol, and outscored just about every other officer. The CSM said I was in the wrong MOS.
.357 Ruger Security Six - really nice and accurate
A vareity of .45 automatic pistols
.41 S&W revolver - did I say stopping power?

If I had to buy one, I would probably look at Ruger, always thought these are smooth, well made and economical firearms.

Those wood grips on that Sig 225 are nice. Several years ago, Bar-Sto made a limited run of P225 extended barrels for mounting a sound suppressor.

Tony

Those wood grips on that Sig 225 are nice. Several years ago, Bar-Sto made a limited run of P225 extended barrels for mounting a sound suppressor.

Tony

Thanks, I like them too, I tried the Pachmayr grips and didn't like them, I found these and really liked them. I put a set on my Bersa Thunder .380 also.

Jim

1911 is my all time favorite, but I really like my Sig p230 (.380) as a potential carry piece. For target my tricked out Mark 3 (.22) is my favorite because .22 is cheap and you can shoot it all day with very little fatigue.

I don't like shooting .40, it seems to have a funny "twist" to the kick. I like .45 - it pops straight up and down. 9mm seems to feel similar but with less umph.

.45 has a lot of knock down power. Not to say 9mm can't get the job done, though. My only real complaint with .45 is its relatively high cost.

to add to the knowledge base

Yes ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol and refers to those cartridges developed by Colt (John Mosses Browning) to be used in the various Browning designed Colts. to include:

.25ACP
.32ACP
.38ACP
.380ACP
.45ACP

The 25ACP and 45ACP have become two of the most popular cartridges of all time. While the 38ACP and .380 ACP have all but disappeared.

Surprisingly, .380 is readily available in my neck of the woods. It seems like a few years ago it was gone. I'm not sure about too many new pistols being chambered in it, but there must be people buying the ammo or it wouldn't be stocked so well.

Back
Top Bottom