Your special 4th of July dinner?

It's got be mesquite, don't mess with those fruit flavors.

:D
I like mesquite for adding smoke to fast cooked foods but for low and slow I prefer hickory and the milder fruitier stuff.
The mesquite smoke tends to get too harsh. BTW check out the smoker tubes on Amazon. I got one and love it.
Gives a nice steady smoke and beats boxes and tin foil pouches by a loooooooong mile.

Doing a shrimp boil today.

It's unAmerican to have anything but grilled meat and sides on the 4th. Just sayin' ...

huac-zigo.jpg

Oh, yeah ... :D

I like mesquite for adding smoke to fast cooked foods but for low and slow I prefer hickory and the milder fruitier stuff.
The mesquite smoke tends to get too harsh. BTW check out the smoker tubes on Amazon. I got one and love it.
Gives a nice steady smoke and beats boxes and tin foil pouches by a loooooooong mile.
Interesting. What size tube do you use? How much do you use for fast grilling foods?

It's unAmerican to have anything but grilled meat and sides on the 4th. Just sayin' ...

Ha! Let them come and get me. We had grilled whitefish, caught by these guys...
upload_2018-7-5_11-16-35.jpeg

Can't get much more 'American' than that.
We also had some 'maize-on-the-cob' and a flight of MI made Blueberry beers.

Edit: The 'Maize and Blue' inference was unintentional, but always appropriate!:D

Last edited:
The Star Chamber has met regarding your post. The ruling is that any biological construct that has muscles can be considered as meat, and fish meats ... er ... meets that basic criteria. An exemption has therefore been granted. So it is said ... so it can be done!

PS ... the debate still rages on concerning shrimp. Have to get back to yall on that. <G>

:idea:are mussels considered muscles?:confused:
Interesting. What size tube do you use? How much do you use for fast grilling foods?
I bought the shorter 6" tube. A full tube lasts 2 hours more or less depending on how much oxygen gets to it.
I've had it going for close to 4 hours with a very light smoke.
If you place it directly over a heat source the oxygen draw makes it burn much faster.
They are made to be used with wood pellets but I've mixed in some small wood chips without any problem.
You will need a small blow torch to get it properly lit. Maybe a few wood chips and lighter might do the trick, though I've never tried.

edit: I originally wrote "to be used with wood pallets" but those would be a kinda' hard to squeeze into that little tube :rolleyes:

Loin back pork ribs, marinated 2 days in homemade sauce, cooked at 165 in Green Mountain wood grill for 3 hrs, then 225 for 1½ hrs, pecan wood, basted every half hour with marinade.
My other half said Yum or Yummy several times for each of the 7 ribs she ate. I ate the other 7 ribs and yes, they were Yummy.

Well shucks !! My 4th dinner wasn`t even close to you folks..

B-N-L who lives next door brought 5 Guys hamburgers/fries over, instead of firing up my grill, as has been traditional, because of time constraints being he was reinstalling an rebuilt engine/transmission in his daily driver.
Plus, it was back to work for him Thursday morning..

Oh well, hopefully next year will work out better.

Weather's been hot and muggy here this week. I honestly had no appetite except maybe for a few cold ones.
Aside from a small breakfast actually all I had was a burger. Strange thing though I was looking for some onion but all I saw was some finely chopped onion & celery the wife had set aside for a salad.
So I snatched a spoonful.:oops: That and a little ketchup actually tasted mighty good to my surprise. I'll have to give it a try on a hot dog next time I get the chance.

Back
Top Bottom