Your thoughts of the best of my cd players and why

Will CDs be phased out soon?

• Yes, because of simplicity of lossless Flac Files

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No, They're too popular and people like to have an original hard copy to own.

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aud-JunkieJr

I own a decent amount of cd/dvd players and have tried them in different set ups. I use all of these mainly as cd players. Some have what people would consider better DACs than others. Some are slower start up and operation than others. Some seem like a ridiculously solid build a great transports. Some retailed for a few hundred, others for over a grand.

I'm curious on your experience with any one of these as far as their playback (sound, imaging, etc). Also if you know if any are more problematic. I do like them all for different reasons.
Here is the list in no particular order.
Sony S7000es
Sony S9000es
Sony X33es
Sony X222es
Denon DCD 1520
Denon DCD 1560
Denon 3800 BDCI
Rotel 965BX
Yamaha DVD S2300

Looking forward to your comments!

Respectfully, I think your survey asks the wrong questions. CDs represent 30+ year-old digital storage technology, and more importantly, 30+ year-old digital audio encoding. CDs do not deliver surround-sound, or hi-res audio, or video (which is increasingly used for classical concert recordings).

Newer digital audio (and audio/video) formats for consumer deliverables include SACD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, 24 bit/192 kHz downloads, and DSD downloads. All modern recordings are recorded and mastered in hi-res, and most modern classical recordings are offered in one of the hi-res multi-channel (surround-sound) formats. My favorite format for classical music is Blu-ray (and Ultra HD Blu-ray) audio/video. Compared with Blu-ray audio/video, CDs are archaic.

Yes, CDs will be phased out, because all modern recordings are recorded and mastered in hi-res multi-channel PCM or DSD. And, in a growing number of cases, audio/video. For a modern recording, why would you buy a consumer deliverable that has been down-converted to old technology (i.e., Redbook CD)? OTOH, if you only listen to vintage recordings, then the original format is relevant (e.g., wax cylinder, 78, LP, RTR tape, cassette tape, CD, etc.) To each their own.

Following are some existing threads that are relevant.

Why buy a CD-Player?

Blu-Ray audio

Last edited:
I'm old school. Do those type of recordings require more than a simple 2.0 or 2.1 system to listen to them the way they are intended to be heard?

I used to have a 5.1 system and gave it up after listening to good solid state, then tube amplifiers with the right preamp tubes, speaker placement (using speakers that match the room size and are somewhat efficient). It seemed to me that I had sounds coming from all directions without the bother of the extra speakers. Whether the sound came from a cd, record, or a good tuner I had results that simply amazed me.

First, I’d like to belatedly welcome you to AK.

The way you’ve framed your survey question seems to imply that the only option to CDs is “lossless FLAC files”, and the only benefit of FLAC files is “simplicity”. This misstates the options, and misstates the benefits of newer technologies.

Modern recordings offer hi-res audio, surround-sound, and audio/video – all enhancements over Red Book CD.

If the source of “lossless FLAC files” is a CD, then there is no improvement in sound quality. OTOH, most modern recordings were captured and mastered in high res (i.e., 24bit/192kHz or DSD). For modern recordings (i.e., recordings with a hi-res provenance), there are several options for hi-res deliverables (e.g., SACD, Pure Audio Blu-ray, 24bit/192kHz download, DSD download) that potentially can deliver improved audio quality to the consumer (assuming suitable playback equipment). Whether hi-res is an option depends on the music genre. Whether you can hear a difference in hi-res is up to each listener to decide.

IME, surround-sound helps to recreate the experience of the symphony hall. Surround sound is particularly useful in listening rooms where the main L&R speakers must be far part due to room layout.

Video it is essential to ballet, and an important part of opera, and can be enjoyable for a classical concert. Moreover, video is very useful for putting an opera’s libretto on the TV screen.

I think that an important question is what is meant by listening to recordings “the way they are intended to be heard”. For the music that I listen to (classical), the artists are the composer, conductor and musicians, and the “work of art” is the live performance. “The way the music is intended to be heard” is the live performance. IME, hi-res multi-channel recordings can excel in reproducing classical music the way it “should sound” – i.e., like the live performance. (The situation with pop music is different.)

Whether modern recording technologies are available depends on the music genre. If someone listens to recordings that are several decades old, they’re limited to what WAS state-of-the-art recording technology several decades ago. OTOH, if someone is open to modern performances, then modern technology benefits may be available. It all depends on what types of music you listen to.

Hi-res audio recordings (e.g., SACD, Pure Audio Blu-ray, 24/192 downloads) and high-definition audio/video (e.g., Blu-ray and Ultra HD Blu-ray) do not require anything other than a 2.0 or 2.1 playback system that has a suitable player. Of course, in order to enjoy surround-sound, a 5.0 or 5.1 playback system is required.

If you listen to only vintage recordings – that’s a personal choice. If you’re satisfied with CD audio quality – that’s a personal choice. My perspective is different. My answer to your survey question would be that CDs are nearing obsolescence – for me – because more modern formats offer hi-res audio quality, surround-sound, and audio/video, and these advances all bring me closer to the experience of being in the symphony hall. And that’s what’s important to me.

The only CDP's in that list that would hold any interest to me are the Denon DCD's (DCD-1520 & DCD-1560).

Why ?

Because I'm a redbook only guy and I like the PCM (BurrBrown) DAC's in those.
I'd probably get some sockets put on the PCB so I could roll opamps though.
Not too crazy about the transports/lasers in those though (Sony).

So I would wanna look into replacement laser availability & cost before dropping any coin into them.

And the day they stop selling CD's is probably the day I stop buying anything from the record Co.s (ie: I'm a "hardcopy" kinda guy who dislikes DRM).
Then I'd would be relegated to strictly buying used CD's.

JM2¢

Bret P.

I had the Sony 9000es and it's quite an excellent performer for music. Copper chassis, c-core power transformer, excellent transport, 24/96 dac, SACD. The remote is not the best though.

I own a decent amount of cd/dvd players and have tried them in different set ups. I use all of these mainly as cd players. Some have what people would consider better DACs than others. Some are slower start up and operation than others. Some seem like a ridiculously solid build a great transports. Some retailed for a few hundred, others for over a grand.

I'm curious on your experience with any one of these as far as their playback (sound, imaging, etc). Also if you know if any are more problematic. I do like them all for different reasons.
Here is the list in no particular order.
Sony S7000es
Sony S9000es
Sony X33es
Sony X222es
Denon DCD 1520
Denon DCD 1560
Denon 3800 BDCI
Rotel 965BX
Yamaha DVD S2300

Looking forward to your comments!
Of these units...which ones do you feel have the best DAC?

Back
Top Bottom