Your Thoughts?

1gr8e320a

Fellow members

I'm contemplating purchasing a commercial grade amplifier made by QSC, model RMX 4050HD, to power the woofers of my Infinity Kappa 8s; to ease the load on my Pioneer SX1980. The Tweeters, midrange and midbass speakers will remain driven by my vintage, yet MINT, Pioneer SX-1980. Here is a link to the specs of the amp. http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/rmx/rmx4050.htm#
Thoughts?

Robert

Looks like you would have plenty of headroom! Just be careful with the levels or you could pop your woofers. The 1850HD would probably get the job done too.

Jim - I figured I would go with the 4050HD because todays "wattage" as you know is not the same as back in the day. Class H? Never heard of this class of amp until I came across this unit. I also figured with the extra headroom and as long as I keep the gain levels equal with the 1980 I will be good to go. My 1980 does a great job alone up until a certain point and after that point I start to get nervous. I equally love my Pioneer and my re-worked Infinity speakers that I've spent big money and time on upgrading to make a mistake. Thanks for your post - Happy 4th of July.

Robert, the 4050 will do the job. It will be worth the trouble of a seperate power outlet right from the circuit breaker. Your low end may sound weak on an outlet thats running the rest of your equipment or other stuff in the house.
Jim

Jim - I figured I would go with the 4050HD because todays "wattage" as you know is not the same as back in the day.

:scratch2:

"FTC 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.1% THD"

If you find something vintage rated to the same standard, watts is watts. And that looks like a pretty standard rating.

Jim - a few years ago when the economy was amazing and I felt like I was doing well I had all Krell equipment. I had separate AC lines ran for all my equipment -- U R correct and it does make a HUGE difference when the amps have dedicated breakers. I figure if I am going to do that I am jumping up to the 5050 20amp. I plan on doing this all on the 15th. I plan on posting vids... should be off the charts

Back
Top Bottom