Your vintage, or semi-vintage HT speakers?

thedelihaus

Nocturnal transmissions
So fellas, what are you running for vintage HT speakers?

So far, for me it's been a rotational mix of the lovely minimus 7s, Boston Acoustics A-40s, Polk vintage and new R-15s, Cambridge Soundworks Model 6s, 17s, 100s and 150s, Paradigm Titans, and DCM CX-series (specifically the fabulous CX-27s).

I'm leaning towards a full Paradigm Atom/Titan mix, or more CX-27s, 17s, and 07s.

Though the Minimus 7s do so well. And the BA A40s are as always, exceptional.

So, what do you run?

My HT is kind of haphazardly thrown together. Not a big priority for me, we hardly ever have the TV on in the living room, except for the news, the occasional Red Sox game, and of course during football season we watch the Patriots every week. That's about it, except for the occasional DVD. Sure is nice to watch, when we do watch it! Makes it hard to go back to watching the little 13" set in the bedroom!

The System -

Amplification - Carver AV-405
Pre-Amp/Processor - Yamaha DSP-E300
DVD Player - Toshiba SD-2109
Philips VRZ264AT 4 head Hi-Fi Stereo VCR
RCA 32V420T 32" Stereo CRT

The Speakers -

Front - DCM TimeFrame 600
Center - Optimus ST-150
Rear - JBL TLX121
Powered Sub - Yamaha YST-SW100
(The original. Yamaha re-used the model # for another powered sub later on.)

The speakers are subject to change, as I have other projects that once completed, will probably be more suited to the HT, especially the fronts.

My HT is all vintage minus the Monitor, Surge Protector and Processor

Amps: Hafler XL600 Front, PRO2400 Rear, P1500 Bridged to Center
P1500 bridged to Sub
Speakers: Hpm 100 Front/Rear, Center DIY (JBL/Pioneer Drivers)
Sub JBL Array Series 1500
Pre/Pro: JBL SDP-5 THX Prosessor/Controller
EQ: Pioneer GR-777
Tuner: Pioneer Elite F-91
Surge Protector/Filter: Monster HTS3600
DVD/CD: Pioneer Elite DV59AVi
Canare DIY Interconnects/12G DIY Wire

This rig Rocks the house, Flicks or Music. Ask my neighbors.:yes:

My current home theater is all new stuff but my first was built around vintage speakers. I ran a Pioneer Elite VSX-09TX through a pair of Cerwin Vega 12TR's in large mode with a phantom center. They were quite up to the task. Never missed the fact that I did not have a sub. I had a pair of DX5's in the rear.

I only changed when I stumbled into a RadioShack closing out speakers and decided to step up to 5.1. I puchased all Linaeum tweeter speakers - Optimus PRO LX8 up front (now in my garage), PRO CS5 center, PRO SW12 passive sub and PRO LX5 in the back (wish I still had these). This was a very nice setup, especially when considering the price - I paid less than $400 for all 6 speakers.

Martin

Ahh, now this is finally a thread for me...
Mine is vintage, HPM-1500's driven by sx-1250 up front,
JBL L100t's being driven by an sx-1250 in rear,

a 15 inch dayton subwoofer from PE with a cheapy 200w plate amp. Crossed to only the lowest freq's and I love it.

my processor is el cheapo technics sh-sc500d, but it works. No center channel. (phantom)
It really rocks. I have tried mini monitors for surround, it just isn't the same. Need big woofs all around!

Did you say Home Theater?

I spend just as much time messing with my HT as I do my vintage gear, maybe more. Here's the list of goodies but the closest thing I have to vintage is my Denon POA-2800.

Home Theater
Denon AVR 3805
Denon POA-2800 powering the Fronts
Monitor Audio S6's Fronts
Monitor Audio SLCR Center
Monitor Audio Radius 90 Surrounds
SVS PB12-ISD Subwoofer
Toshiba 56H80 HDTV
Toshiba HD A2 HD DVD Player
Sony DVPNC80V SACD/CD/DVD player used only for audio
DirecTV HD DVR HR20-100
AppleTV Digital Media Player Networked to Dell PC
Home Theater Master MX 500 Remote
Niles OS-10 Patio Speakers
ADCOM ACE-515 Power Conditioner
Bluejeans Cable, Monster Cable, and DIY Interconnects
DVI Gear HDMI Cable
Belden 12 ga. DIY Speaker Cable

This is an older picture.
attachment.php

See sig. I'm probably going to replace the Polk's with Ratshack LX-7's (after a crossover adjustment) or the BA A-70's. The A-70's make a pinpoint center image, you really don't need a center speaker with them, they are so clear. I'd love some LX-5's for surround. Heck, they'd be good all around.

It's in the signature, but fronts are Celestion Ditton 662, a Legend Audio Center (Vifa/Dynaudio kinda thing), and a pair of Kevlar woofer/Linaeum Optimus spks as rears. And a recent addition, a Velodyne VA10BVX10 Subwoofer. I've got a pair of Kef 104/2 with tweeters on the way that will be replacing the Celestion's for a little while, at least.

My HT speakers are:
Realistic Mach Ones for front.
I currently have no rear channel, but might hook up the Polk 5's for that
~BG

Currently, for surround in the Living Room:

Canton Karat 20 (x 4) for Left, Right and Surrounds
Canton Center channel (shallow version similar to the Karat 20, can't remember model #)
NHT SW10 sub

In the future, 5 JBL L46s will replace the Cantons in the Living Room system, and the Cantons will head downstairs into the recording studio with a Velodyne VA1012XII sub.

There are also 2-channel listening speakers planned for each room, JBL 4333As in the Living Room and probably JBL L100As in the studio.

Our Lake House system is outlined in another thread, but it's three Boston Acoustic A40s in the front, and Polk Monitors in the rear with an AudioPro B1-45 sub.

je

EV Sentry III's coupled with an Infinity Center for the front, a pair of EV Sentry V's for the surrounds. All running off a Denon AVR-3806.

Klipsch La Scala (front)
Pioneer CS-701A (rear)
Fisher XP-60 (rear surround)
Klipsch center (high output horn type)
SVS PB12nsd2 (2x12s)
Pioneer VSX9300TXi (Elite VSX56TXi)
Sony 55wf655 display (HD)
Panasonic DVD (1st under TOTL)
HD cable with HD DVR
Monster Power Conditioner/surge protector(3500 iirc)

This thing is capable of over 120dB playback levels if called for. . . That said my levels rarely exceed 105dB peaks with normal being around 85-90dB.

The La Scalas are a recent addition just for kicks and giggles. I love the energy but over kill it is.

I've had bigger and better but what I have now sounds as good or better than anything I have ever had. It will get your attention and keep you there. I find that I look for movies with soundtracks that work over a sound system or known to bust subwoofers such as "War of the Worlds" etc.

Great fun. . .

TV is a big Sony Wega something or other, preamp is an SAE 2 that defies the bad rap that line of SAE gear gets, amp is an Adcom GFA-555 monster; sources are Dish Network, a JVC VCR i found sitting out front of a neighbor's house one night, a Tosh 3990 disc player, and those are the extremely not pretty DBX SF-10 Soundfield Imaging Speakers, which are superb for HT for their ability to display a centered soundstage from any seat in the room, their powerful bass, and overall solid presence. call it a mostly 80's vintage HT

Attachments

• 000_0452 (Small).jpg
    000_0452 (Small).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 000_0454 (Small).jpg
    000_0454 (Small).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 41
upstairs: Zeinith 'swiss army knife' all in one dvd/vcr/am/fm. upgraded the cubes with Minimus 7w's. Not the greatest, but its adequate.

downstairs: in progress. Looking at a Denon 7.1. Will be using an existing Infinity 12" powered sub and Bose 301's for front, Bose 141'sfor rear & sides.

Two pairs of BeoVox S-45-2's for front and rear and a small Boston (not really vintage) for a center. Very happy with the B&O's, great bass for the size and the mids and highs seem well suited to video plus they look great. I'll change the center as soon as I find a better solution.
Mike

Boston Acoustics A-100 for the front mains, with a BA CenterSat 7 center and BA CR6 for the rear surrounds. I use the Dayton 10" downfiring sub from Parts Express. I was using my BA A-70s, until I found the A-100s at a thrift store.

attachment.php

A few years ago I finished the basement with the intention of using it strictly for audio. Then my eldest son offered me his projector and pull down screen, as he was upgrading. How could I resist? So I set up a section of the basement to allow for video, as well as audio. I mounted the projector at the ceiling to be out of the way, and went about deciding which speakers I should use. The front mains are a pair of JBL Apollo's (15" woofer and huge horn), circa 1965. The center channel is handled by a Frazier Super Midget from the mid to late 60's, and the rears are a pair of Cerwin Vega AT-100 (3-way w/ 15" woofer). This system can play LOUD, although I usually watch movies at pretty normal volume. :D

Back
Top Bottom