Youtube Access Through Blu-Ray Players?

ruanddu

I am interested in purchasing a blu-ray player for watching netflix and youtube through the wired ethernet port.

Can you tell me in particular, what access to youtube is like on most modern blu-ray players? For instance, is youtube access equal to that of using a pc? For example, can you search all videos, access your favorites, etc? It's hard to understand through just reading the web.

Also, looking for something with 7.1 analog outputs. Been eye-ing the Panasonic DMP-BD85K lately.

Thanks,
Josh

I don't use YouTube that much, but on my Panasonic BD65 the YouTube function has categories for

Featured
Most Viewed
Top Rated
Search

Then it looks like there is a Login function and perhaps a place to put some shortcuts.

Of course, you're entering your searches and stuff via the remote control vs a keyboard and mouse so that part doesn't go quite as well as on a computer. The picture seems to scale up pretty decently though when you select full screen.

Thanks. Overall, it sounds like you can use the majority of youtube functions. I am mainly concerned with being able to access my favorites and use the full function of the search bar.

My LG has login then you can see your favorites, and subscribed channels. But same as mentioned earlier nothing is as fast and easy as a mouse and keyboard at a computer. Also the audio trough my AVR and the big speakers is a 5 out of 10 at best.

I, too, have the Panasonic BD65. YouTube plays just fine - using a remote is clunky. Somebody needs to make a texting/qwerty remote.

My LG has login then you can see your favorites, and subscribed channels. But same as mentioned earlier nothing is as fast and easy as a mouse and keyboard at a computer. Also the audio trough my AVR and the big speakers is a 5 out of 10 at best.

Yeah, but considering the audio on most of them I've looked at (a very small number, btw) is at best a 5 of 10 to start with coming from a cellphone video camera or whatever.

Navigation is the worst part of you tube on my BD player, its just a PITA without a keyboard and mouse, Quality is much the same as my PC for you tube (all over the place)
just like the content. If your using a full HT setup you will notice these issues more.

I used it for awhile but the UI and keyboard issues made it more of a novelty after awhile .

I have the Leanback version on my BB, its much better but still not better than my PC even with the BB keyboard remote. Navigation is much better though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom