Youtube is absolutely obnoxious

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I don’t know if you have noticed it but YouTube is very obnoxious on my Apple TV with how the videos are playing. You used to have the Add at the beginning of the show which you could try to skip,didn’t always work. Now not only do you have the add at the beginning but you get sudden breaks during the video play, and I mean you are watching something and without any warning or break you have some wahoo trying to sell you something, you have to skip out of the add. Even more exasperating is when you close the add you don’t always return to the show you were watching. I suppose they want you to go for a paid subscription but instead I am going to just start watching using Airplay. I don’t seem to have this obnoxious playback on the iPad, and iPhone.

Youtube won I was thinking how much I watch YouTube. And Youtube Red does bring in a lot of content. $12.99 seems to be a good value.

"Adblocker Ultimate" and "Ghostery" here. Zero commercials but a 2-3 second delay to start of videos sometimes while the software sorts out ads. It eliminates ads everywhere unless you white list a site.

I haven't watched Youtube lately, so this may be a dumb question.

But is this for actual network show content, or also for private clips like cute cat videos?

Adblock Plus is one of the most popular ad blockers and I use it on all my machines. I highly recommend it. I also use Ghostery and uBlock Origin for good measure, but Adblock Plus catches most everything.

Unfortunately Ad Block is not an option for the Apple TV. Trying out YouTube Red and it does improve things.

I just put up with it, because there is so much great stuff on youtube. If I can watch some occasional TV, I can deal with youtube.

I just put up with it, because there is so much great stuff on youtube. If I can watch some occasional TV, I can deal with youtube.
The add’s were not the problem on the Apple TV the playback was being interrupted and when you closed the add you often didn’t return to what you were watching.

The add’s were not the problem on the Apple TV the playback was being interrupted and when you closed the add you often didn’t return to what you were watching.

Yeah, that would be a drag. That doesn't happen to me on the computer. I didn't read what you said closely enough. So it must be the Apple TV. On the computer, there will be the breaks, but then they go right back to what you had on.

A problem I was having on the PC with Youtube was it would lock up the computer which could only be cleared with a reboot. That was fixed with the latest update.

This really doesn't relate to the OP's initial post but one of the things I've noticed with Youtube is if I watch something on my laptop or iPad I've noticed that "suggested" content similar to what I had watched shows up on my Roku box when I watch Youtube on that.

For example if I watch the ArsenalFanTv Youtube channel on my laptop I get suggested video's on the Roku for say additional ArsenalFanTv content and even the CFC FanTv (Chelsea)

The only thing I can think of is that Youtube somehow analyzes viewing habits via my internet network? Macbook & iPad connect to network wirelessly while Roku box is connected via Ethernet straight from the router

Both AdBlock and Ghostery here and no issues with YouTube on the computer - which means I have no issues on the TV either, as that simply mirrors the computer instead of running a "smart" app on the set.

PS ... if "smart" tv's are so smart, why can't I install AdAware and Ghostery on them? ;-{

Wonder if there's a "premium" plan that skips the commercials ... kinda like forums that pepper the pages with ads unless you subscribe ... ;-}

It could be worse than having commercials on YouTube. You could be paying your local cable company $70/month for the privilege of watching them! I guess that is why people are canceling their traditional cable TV in droves.

I'm one of the holdouts. I use the PVR in my cables box (another $10/month) to speed through the commercials, But they are wising up and putting in many very short ones instead of 4 long ones per hour. Looks like they are trying to get rid of the few customers they have left, and doing a fine job of it.

They advertise VOD programing, Like U-tube without the data consumption. But they have commercials too and have cleverly kept us from using the FF on a PVR to speed through them.

One bright spot is for $6/month I can get Crave TV through all 3 cable boxes. No commercials and VOD. But this will use up some of my internet data.

You could be paying your local cable company $70/month for the privilege of watching them!
$70? Huh. Our DirecTV bill is more like $110 a month.:mad: That's no movie channels, HD, DVR, or anything. It makes me sick.:no: If I was the one paying the bill, I'd ditch it in a heartbeat.

Other TV options are almost non existent here. The last I heard, the local redneck cable company still has like 40 analog channels with a fuzzy ass picture, just like they've had for the last 30 years. And they still charge $60+ a month.:rolleyes: OTA antenna TV isn't much of an option here due to terrain and distance from the stations, and the DSL internet probably wouldn't quite be fast enough for streaming.

I watch mostly older stuff, so without pay TV, I would be plenty satisfied with the physical media I own, Netflix DVD service, Youtube, some of the other places free movies can be found on the 'net, and what little OTA TV can be received here.

$70? Huh. Our DirecTV bill is more like $110 a month.:mad: That's no movie channels, HD, DVR, or anything. It makes me sick.:no: If I was the one paying the bill, I'd ditch it in a heartbeat.

Is the $110 a month including internet? About a year ago my wife and I switched from cable to DirecTV, and the DirecTV bill is something like $75 or so with a free DVR and HBO, although the internet provider is separate. The free DVR is just great, though.

Back
Top Bottom