Yummmm, this SX-1980 sure tastes good!

Big Tuna

Too Much Power!
Pass the salt & pepper! SX-1980 Casserole a-la mode comin' up :)

This is first pic of Cody's SX-1980 I just picked up today from my tech. over five bills worth of repair. Re-flowed LOTS of bad solder joints, replaced all bad caps, rebuilt PS board, and I tested it with my Headphones ad holy crap does this beast sound clear. As clear as the blue sky on a sunny Sunday morning, and as smooth as a milllpond on a calm, windless day!

Attachments

• Picture 247.jpg
    Picture 247.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 233
Kinda spindly legs on that end table - sure it's strong enough? you wouldn't want your dinner to hit the floor!! :D

We can see who's not the purist by looking at those tone control settings. (Know wonder it sounds so good)

hehehe! I had just powered it up for pic and the pots were that way from receiving it back from the tech. He had them cranked up for testing. You know how that goes, right? ;)

Here's Cody's 1980 now on my rack. Has been on for about 5 hours and is singing along without issue. :banana:
SX1980Video001.jpg

It must be the settings on your camera that makes the function lights (FM,AM,Phono) lights look so bright? Even the running lights look awful bright. Do you know what bulbs are in the panel (running lights)? By the way, that is one clean 1980. I can understand why it sounds so good, he's using the adapter switch with some hidden equalizer or other device.

Last edited:
Wow, another one for my watchlist....

BTW, is that a Class-A amp considering the large heatsinks?

Pretty gosh darn sure its AB. It would most likely state on the front if it was class A. The heat sinks are so large because of its 270 WPC.

Last edited:
Don't eat it all in one sitting! :no: Save some for leftover sandwiches tomorrow. Stuff tastes just as good the next day, you know. :yes:

Seriously, that is sure one bee-you-tea-full and scrump-(bo)-diddly-icious SX-1980! :music: :thmbsp:

Mine is working, but I still need to give it a complete, thorough, total restoration like that, one day soon. Just too nice a receiver not to give it all the "love" it deserves.

Pretty gosh darn sure its AB. It would most likely state on the front if it was class A. The heat sinks are so large because of its 270 WPC.

:drool: 270 WPC :drool: Holy moly

Consindering that.... it's not a large heat sink at all... man...

:music:

Back
Top Bottom