Yummmm, this SX-1980 sure tastes good!

1 to 2 thousand USD=$1,000.00 to $2,000.00

Doh!

First a number of VFET amps to be rebuilt, but it stays on the watchlist when one comes around (specially if the owner is not aware of the market value, or when a faulty one is offered cheap, both occasionaly happening on dutch and french auction sides....). :smoke:

Thanks for great pics, would you have one from the inside showing the power amp board and tuner section?

OMG, if I had SEEN that thread, :no:

Did the tuner survive?

FFR: Mechanically set the limits of tuning and scale position first, then if within 1 megahertz, move the pointer on the string. Some tuners have a "sweet spot" that while you can move the L.O. on frequency to the dial position, the specs are way off when optimized.... a "deaf" tuner....

Most of the time effing around with the tuning vanes is NOT indicated.

want to be persnickety about the scale pointer position? - MOVE IT on the string.

Last edited:
Mark, I don't go that far. I adj. the L.O. trimmer and that put everything back in alignment with the dial. By the way, I am still on your list, RIGHT?

Mark, I don't go that far. I adj. the L.O. trimmer and that put everything back in alignment with the dial. By the way, I am still on your list, RIGHT?

yup went on 10-22-2009

current bench went on the list 3-24-09

guess that's longer than a year.....

keep puttin dem pennies in da jar.... yer turns a comin....

Well guys, Cody's SX-1980 is working great and sounding phenomenal.

I brought my 1980 to my tech and boy am I glad I did! I just got off the phone with him and he says almost all of the caps in it are reading less than half their rated value! :yikes: The output stage is still intact, with no leaking, so that's a good thing. Glad I brought it in before anything major failed. He said the four big main PS caps are still well within spec. So pretty much a re-cap and mine will be fine. Whew! :yes:

Well guys, Cody's SX-1980 is working great and sounding phenomenal.

I brought my 1980 to my tech and boy am I glad I did! I just got off the phone with him and he says almost all of the caps in it are reading less than half their rated value! :yikes: The output stage is still intact, with no leaking, so that's a good thing. Glad I brought it in before anything major failed. He said the four big main PS caps are still well within spec. So pretty much a re-cap and mine will be fine. Whew! :yes:

Just be sure not to leave any teeth marks in my 1980. :nono: :thmbsp:

Glad you got your 1980 checked out in time! Glad you are so observant like you are! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom