yup, the CD is dead...

I keep wondering if or when the day is going to come where CDs become "collectible". Maybe once they fade away for enough time, they will become retro (and I will really feel old).

Good thing that SACDs are soldiering on.

P.S. Did your friend delete all copies of these CDs?

I think a lot of people source their collections on Spotify or Apple Music and dump the disks. Of course, there are those who rip the disks, but the violation is on them, not on the person who buys or otherwise acquires the disks.

The stupid thing is that with a decent CD player and external DAC, CD's come close some really nice LP's..... The records are better though either sound so good I don't care which I'm listening to. Cheaper to set up too.

The stupid thing is that with a decent CD player and external DAC, CD's come close some really nice LP's..... The records are better though either sound so good I don't care which I'm listening to. Cheaper to set up too.

Yup. I have an Oppo CD player running through a Cambridge Audio DAC. My 2500 CD collection sounds great to my ears.

Yup. I have an Oppo CD player running through a Cambridge Audio DAC. My 2500 CD collection sounds great to my ears.

Yes, a Marantz CD63SE into a S.M.S.L M8 here. My main system has a Gustard DAC-X12 which is definitely better than the M8..... I'm pondering saving for the TOTL Gustard DAC-X20 Pro though to replace the M8.

Last edited:
I sold my 3 arm DDX-1000 when CDs came out, thinking LPs were a thing of the past.

Boy was I wrong.

I still feel a pain knowing I let go of a carbon fiber Black Widow, a Grace 707, and a Micro Seiko 505s. Not to mention 3 very killer, calibrate carts.

I'm hanging onto my 3 Nak CDP-2As for a while so I Don't make the same mistake again. :no:

I still buy CDs, SACDs as well when I I can find them.

Lately been getting them from thrift stores, the thrift store vinyl hunt has been blah... well in my area, so I stared thumbing threw the CD, you would be shocked at what you can find. :)

Great thread!!

CDs are alive and well to me - Playing on my Sony DVP-NS9100ES DVD/CD/SACD player they sound better than any vinyl I have to MY ears. I'm so glad interest has waned for this format because it enables me to scoop up boatloads of albums for pennies on the dollar if not free. An added bonus is that most CDs come with footnotes and a little bit of "album art". I also like having music without having to subscribe to a service or have the internet or have Big Brother able to monitor my listening habits.
They'll never be dead to me.

P.S. Did your friend delete all copies of these CDs?

I sold him his first turntable in 2010 and since then he has acquired 4500 records and a total of 4 tables all with Magnepan arms. He was through with CDs.

Of course, there are those who rip the disks, but the violation is on them, not on the person who buys or otherwise acquires the disks.

This is good because those that buy the used CDs at the thrifts or elsewhere may be buying a ripped disc. No way for them to know where that disc had been.

I sold him his first turntable in 2010 and since then he has acquired 4500 records and a total of 4 tables all with Magnepan arms. He was through with CDs.

This is good because those that buy the used CDs at the thrifts or elsewhere may be buying a ripped disc. No way for them to know where that disc had been.

Not so, it's not had to tell if you are getting an original copy.

Kind Regards,
John

As prior posters, Dave_1962 in particular, stated in one way or another... Nope. I still buy a shit ton of used CDs primarily via amazon.com to this day. And I won't mention the hundreds of titles (just about any genre imaginable...) available on a daily basis at nearby Salvation Army thrift stores averaging $1.00 a disc. They're no longer flying off retail shelves as they did during their peak in the early '00s, but they still command respect as a music delivery medium with (typically) excellent fidelity.

I still buy CDs. I also pick up a lot of used ones in thrifts or used cd/record stores. Im trying to fill in gaps in my collection and am able to do so pretty cheaply. Especially jazz, sinatra, and rock. Well, pretty much everything. I just found a Chris Isaak Cd i never got around to buying. San Francisco Days for 2 bucks. I still get new releases of bands i like. Raveonettes for example. The rest is just completing a monopoly, as my wife calls it. "Youve got them all! *eyeroll*

Back
Top Bottom