Z-7000 thoughts

STP

Got this reciever from Ebay for $50 and it came well-packed with sheet styrofoam as requested. No damage, but I wish the guy would've bagged the reciever as there was tiny styrofoam balls clinging all over the place, but that's only a minor complaint, the good part was that it worked.

Firing it up, the aux section works fine. The controls will need cleaning as there was static in the tone-defeat mode (?), but that went away when I engaged the equalizer section. The equalizer has four sliders from left to right, Super Bass, Bass, Midrange and Treble. They work well and it doesn't take much movement to hear a noticable difference in the sound. I'm running a pair of modified JBL L-150's that are pretty efficient and at 10W on the G-9K they're plenty loud and I haven't had to crank it above 50W yet, that's how strong they are (the neighbors have no problem listening in...).

Listening to the Z-7000, I picked a CD I've listened to often on the G-9K, 'The Crusaders', Rural Renewal. I noticed that the Z doesn't sound as good as the G with the tone controls totally flat. There just isn't as much there. But, and I'll add this 'but' judiciously, when you do engage the equalizer just a little bit across the range (I'm talking less than a half inch upwards), boy does this reciever sing. This might be heresy (as I own two G-9000's and have owned a G-22K), but I like this little 90 wpc guy as much as the G-series!

Maybe it's the Super Feed-forward design, but you get more detail out of the music than you would out of the G. The piano sections are especially noticable. You can actually hear the cymbals fully fade away after they're hit. I was hearing details that I haven't heard on the G. The bass output was very healthy and I had no problems feeling the music. Sitting on the couch with a tall frosty Rogue ale, I looked at the Z-7000 stacked on top of the silent G-9000 and noted that it's just about the same width and height, but not as deep, nor nearly as heavy. Silver faced and wood cased, I do believe this is a quality reciever, despite it's digital features. Tested the phono section and that worked fine too. A minor drawback was a very minor hissing noise in any of the aux or phono modes. Hopefully a shot of de-oxit will fix this. It was $50 well-spent and I hope to get it's big brother the Z-9K running.

Successful repair on Z-9000

Going the stupid, but tried and true route worked. Having a functional Z-7000 with the exact same power/audio board allowed me to compare voltages off've the secondary power supply section. There was a 15v missing and also a 5V. The 12V (15V) was called out on the schematic upstream, but nothing on the schematic gave a clue to the 5V. The initial problem was the C8 electrolytic capacitor that spewed and corroded all the components around it. What I didn't see was a missing jumper on J7 that got corroded so bad, it actually fell off the board. The legs were still soldered in place on the bottom side of the board, but it was completely missing on top. That was the 15V that supplied power to the Display/Selector board. Removed the old leg remnants and soldered in a new jumper. Plugged it in and it came to life immediately.

Hooked the naked chassis up to speakers and a CD player and got music. I was stoked. But the digital clock and other digital features don't seem to work, probably because of the 5V that I traced to a small transistor, which I'll replace soon. As a by-note, anybody buying a Z-7000 or Z-9000 should be aware of that C8 2200uf 35V cap. The Z-7000 cap was starting leaking too. That's two for two on these recievers and I replaced it on the Z-7000 as well. It was too late to really test the Z-9000, but it has a low hiss at high volume with no input as well. I will do the research to correct this, maybe a DC Bias adjustment?

Thanks LB Pete and good luck on your projects as well! The ad was cool too. I like these recievers, they sound good with some equalization added, but time will tell. :banana:

I had a Z-9000. Certainly not warm like tubes, but oh so very powerful. It developed overheating problems, from a tuner that drew too much current, and a L.S.I. voltage amplifier that you could make an omlet on. I had the case off, the receiver powered up, and left the room for a bit. I returned just as my cat dropped an all-metal screwdriver into the power amp. He hated the sound so, that even though the cat has no lips to pick up a tool, he managed to do so. The thing was fried; just as well, as my cat prefers tubes over transistors. So do I. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Seth
Forever Analog

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom