z34 monte carlo DOHC

Well, all depends on where you shop, and the type of engine, I suppose.

The salvage yards wanted anywhere from $400 to about $1000 for a replacement engine for my GF's 1998 Lincoln Continental with the DOHC 32-valve 4.6L engine. I think hers had ~276,000 miles on it when her son blew it up. The engines in the price range I mentioned had anywhere from about 90K to 150K miles on them.

the shop said no one had the tool, Maanufacture of the tool stopped a couple or so years ago. And it had to be ordered t hrough a dealer, who in turn had to order ffrom the Maker.

Vrooom....Vrooom! Just not yet.

And yes it is a special tool. Costs more than the actual job itself.

Instruction manual is 20 pages long for the procedure.

And i will def. red those links Whoaru99, I want to know more about the cams.

Of course you could have a 1990 300-ZX, take it back to the dealer for timing belt replacement and 900 miles later lunch your engine because the dealer was allowing the mechanics to sidestep the proper procedure for belt replacement. The evidence of this was the impact wrench marks on the pivot bolt for the belt tensioner where it had been removed and reinstalled rather than r/r the tensioner mounting bracket that would take another 1-2 hours labor. They had to pull the engine to remove the heads for rebuild.....cost... about $4000.00....to the dealer. Only because I knew what I was looking at when I saw the broken bolt. There is also NO record of that repair.
All of this type stuff is just one more reason my next h-p car will be either a C-6 Vette or an SS Camaro.

Yeah, perhaps so. My only direct familiarity with DOHC is one of my motorcycles and that has marks you line up to get the cams in the proper timing relationship.

You should read the procedure for installing the 4 cams plus idler gears in a Harley Sportster! Seen a lot of guys think that it's just a dumb old tractor engine and pull the cam cover off the right side. Then everything falls out in their lap. Then they don't have a clue how to time the cams. Watching them hall them back to the shop is pretty funny.:yes:

I liked those links you provided, whoaru99. I skimmed through them. Its a long read, i might add.

Maybe i read too fast , but i think i missed just how the extra power is made in those types of enging...Maybe because they focused mainly on OHV engins. Some mention of DOHC engines though...Ill go through the links again.

Again thanks!

TooLoud has it right about the 3.4. They also like to leak oil...if there's a place for a leak they'll usually find it. Strong runner when everything's dialed in, though.

it was leaking when i got it, Turned out the engine had to be pulled to get to the leak, hasn't leaked since.

I have located the parts needed(hope they are correct parts) through the dealer.

yeah ive gotten a taste of it mikeybc, Reason i keep holding onto the vehicle is that, when it cam out. It outran Current(at the time) police duty crown vics. No small feat for a v6 3.4L engine.

Municipalities across america sued or petitioned GM to pull the engine. Now its been years since ive read of it.

Though not in the muscle car category, A z71 has nothing on the z34. I ran head to head on one. And i could hear its exhast gunning for it. i wasnt much past half throttle in my car. Had a bronco for lunch as well one day.

finally got my parts in on wednesday and brought them to the shop. I had asked the owner how long till it would be done after i bring in the parts? 2 days he said. well today is friday and still no car. He did say he would have it done by early next week.which is a full week of what he initially said.

Kind of pissed about it, i was hoping i would have it today.

Its a shop i have brought the car for the past three years and im losing confidence for the shop.

Though not in the muscle car category, A z71 has nothing on the z34. I ran head to head on one. And i could hear its exhast gunning for it. i wasnt much past half throttle in my car. Had a bronco for lunch as well one day.

If you're referring to a Z71 pickup, that package has nothing to do with engine performance. It's basically a package of Bilstein gas shocks, skid plates, different tires, and decals. Might be a few other trinkets on some models, but nothing to do with engine performance. I know...I had one.

thanks for clearing that up whoaru, I always thought it had a souped up engine.
Maybe if my car had all those different things it would be a Monte Cristo...HHMMM!

Back
Top Bottom