Zappa....

LPD

I picked up a Frank Zappa 12" promo single entitled "I don't wanna get drafted!" Interesting thing is, this has the same song on both sides, mono one side and stereo on the other. I'm not much of a Zappa fan with exception to Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation, and Joe's Garage...but its bizarre non the less.

Toasted Almond is a big Zappa freak too. My favorites go along your lines as that is what I saw him perform and the tunes are fun.

Don't forget Jewish Princess and Dancin fools.

I was at that show Mr. Natural. A fine show it was. It's a shame that couple of shows did not translate well onto vinyl. His later "live" albums were sonically superior (Roxy & Elsewhere for example).

The real showpiece of the "Flo and Eddie" Mothers was Aynsley Dunbar. Frank used to introduce him as "My two new drummers."
It is impossible to put into words just how good that guy can play the drums.

The Fillmore East 1971 shows were good, the '71 Stonybrook University show was good (never heard him play the guitar as well as that night, and I saw him a LOT of times), but the 1971 standout was the Carnegie Hall show. Great acoustics, Dunbar was in rare form, and The Persuasions were the warm-up band. The show closer was "Mudshark". Great night.

Almond, Toasted/MSgt, USAF

Zappa? I listened to him once and that was enough. One strange dood! Cubic zirconium encrusted tweezers (or some such) indeed!

Who was that beautiful woman that was with him in the Apostrophe tour? That was one of the finest shows I have ever been to with the extra special treat of having Aierto open the show. He must have played 25 different instruments from the Amazon Rain Forest peoples. We all had a very good time at Lowell University that night!

As she abused the sausage patty
And said "Why don't you treat me mean?"
Ohowaaaaaa...............
At St. Alphonso's pancake breakfast
Where I stole the margerine!

At a time when people were using lights and smoke effects, costumes and other junk it was just outstanding to see some people just make exellent music in a professional manner. All those who didn't want to see Kiss raise their hands! Good!

Actually, Zappa-wise, the less lyrics, the better I like it. The earlier albums have lots of great instrumental pieces, some long, some short. Fascinating little chunks of music.

He often maintained that his real idea of a good time was to write classical stuff, and then get a good orchestra to play it. That cost money, and early on, he didn't have much. He insisted that in order to make money in this country doing music, you had to attach lyrics to the music. So that's how he got money to make classical type albums, by making rock albums that contained questionable social commentary. Man, there were hoardes of people that bought into the concerts and albums cause he was saying "****" onstage. Pretty heady stuff for those times. I question whether he was really manipulating people into spending bucks for his rock albums so he could make instrumental albums, or did he really enjoy the life of a rock icon?
Really makes no difference in the long run to me, as long as I can listen to his classical and big band type stuff.

Thor, If you've never been in a situation where you needed to sterilize a pair of zirconium encrusted tweezers, with a lady by the name of Dinah, then you just couldn't possibly understand :smsex: (btw-she's got a sister named Dora) :D I have to admit that some of his stuff was too wierd for even me when it came out. :eek: I bought One Size Fits All waaay back in '75, played it a few times, didn't get it at all. Found it on the shelf a few years ago. Now I can get into it (or out of it).

You've got to know something about tweezers and poodles, and most of all ponchos (real or Sears) to get it. Without those it'll never come. (it also helps to be high as a kite)

Hope this helps :D
Brad

Originally posted by Toasted Almond
I was at that show Mr. Natural. A fine show it was.

If I can ever get my scanner working, I could post my ticket stub. Upper balcony 4th row. $4.50 hahaha I don't think concerts today cost less than $35.00!!!

Great show....although the grey cells are less these days and the memories are few and far between. I can remember the 10yr old kid tokin' on the pipe by the upstairs bathroom:eek: Also, Mud Shark was the opener and they closed with Happy together. Do a Goggle search of 'fillmore east' and the entire lyrics for the show come up

And....holey shmoley....you've reminded me of the SB show too...AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!:nutz: in the gym, right? hey, I also saw Santana and Miles Davis there along with a number of Dead shows.

Do you remember Tuesday Nite talent nite at the Fillmore?? $2.50 to get in with 3 or 4 bands?

Oh, the memories.......................:cool:

Last edited:
Mudshark was the show closer/encore at Carnegie Hall.

Friday late show at the Fillmore, the show opened with Peaches and closed with Lonesome Electric turkey. Sunday night closed with John Lennon and Loco Ono.

I paid $2.50 to see The Soft Machine, The Chambers Bros., Janis Joplin w/Big Brother, and The Jimi Hendrix Experience. All in one show. $2.50. Singer Bowl out in Queens, August 1801. You can't park your freakin' car for $2.50 at a concert nowadays. Or buy a Perrier.

I paid NOTHING to hear The Mothers by sitting outside the open air affair in Central Park when it was still called the SHEAFFER Music Festival. Buddy Guy was a performer that night also. Heard The Band, Mountain, Mahavishnu Orchestra the same way, by sitting ouside on the hillside.

yeah baby.....

now yer talkin'!!!
the Singer Bowl....wow! Jimi opening for the Monkees....all these parents holdong their ears and their kids too. Too funny!!
And the Schaefer Music festival!! Man, did I see shows there for, what, $3.00? if you wanted to see the acts. Mostly we sat on the rocks behind the stands and just listened with the hundreds of others. Led Zeppelin, BS&T, Chicago, Mahavishnu Orch, Leslie West(yes!), etc, etc.

Now I feel really OLD:rolleyes:

jeff:cool:

Back
Top Bottom