Zardoz

Yes! Got it on DVD. Saw it by accident flipping channels late one night a few years ago.

If you're a fan of "B" movies, this one has what you're looking for AND Charlotte Rampling... :)

IMO a pretty bad picture. It had some good ideas but got bogged down in psychedelic era style and poor technical quality. I saw the picture upon initial release and wanted to like it and have tried watching it several times since (even buying the DVD) in the vain hope it would improve over time. It hasn't.

IMO a pretty bad picture. It had some good ideas but got bogged down in psychedelic era style and poor technical quality. I saw the picture upon initial release and wanted to like it and have tried watching it several times since (even buying the DVD) in the vain hope it would improve over time. It hasn't.

Bad yes, :yes: but with a B movie sci-fi appeal like Logan's Run, Silent Running, Saturn 6, Omega Man, The Illustrated Man, The Tingler, The Andromeda Strain ... I could go on.

Their flaws are as much a part of their appeal as are their strong points. Makes them humorous.

Ahh, what the hell... You get to see Charlotte Rampling runnin' around pretty much Nekkid, THAT'S worth something... The story's pretty DUM...Not even worth a "B" on the end of "Dumb"..

Bad yes, :yes: but with a B movie sci-fi appeal like Logan's Run, Silent Running, Saturn 6, Omega Man, The Illustrated Man, The Tingler, The Andromeda Strain ... I could go on.

Their flaws are as much a part of their appeal as are their strong points. Makes them humorous.

NOT "The Tingler." Vincent Price movies are in a league of their own. Just having him star in them is worth the price of admission.
But, I agree Zardoz belongs in that list.

I have a soft spot for John Boorman flicks like Deliverance and Excalibur. Even the Emerald Forest.

Never boring. Often weird. Sometimes excellent like Point Blank.

There seemed to be a Brit school of these directors like Ken Russell and Nicholas Roeg.

I have a soft spot for John Boorman flicks like Deliverance and Excalibur. Even the Emerald Forest.

Never boring. Often weird. Sometimes excellent like Point Blank.

There seemed to be a Brit school of these directors like Ken Russell and Nicholas Roeg.

Well there's no doubt Boorman was usually up to something which is why I kept giving the picture a chance, hoping it would grow on me, but it didn't.

I liked Ken Russell, especially The Devils, Whore, Salome's Last Dance and The Music Lovers. English Catholics often have a flair about them.

How is it I've never seen this film. Amazing. I can't believe this film doesn't rank above 'A Boy and His Dog'. So moving. I wept. Oh, wait I'm only half way through. ...

EDIT: Oh man, where are the guys from MST300 when you need them. This think is ripe for commentary.

Last edited:
Silent Running is a great movie, full stop (IMO, of course).

I've never seen Zardoz... but I do know of it.

Freaky flick. Cool ending.

For me, this is what makes this era of movies worth wasting time on. Today's movies are overwritten, not to mention shot, directed, and presented in unnecessarily garish visuals.

UNDERGROUND rules in art, music, and entertainment in general.

Your mileage will vary. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom