Zebra Cables - ZC-SP10SD Speaker Cable Review/Info

Depends on just how much of the music you wish to hear. But tubes.....hmmmmm.......my next purchase will be a BAT tube preamp.

First off I want to say thanks for this swap program and for giving me the opportunity to demo these cables in my system. AK is great!

I got the package safe and sound and my first impression was that it was HEAVY! Speaker cables? I opened the box and they are beautiful.

My gear I used is a Dared VP-16 integrated tube amp, a Sony SCD-CE595, a dampened Toshiba 3960, and Klipsch KG-4's.
TT was a MMF-5 with a Bellari Rolls VP-129 phono stage.

I did not do any double blind, A/B or any sort of that testing. I let my gear play for a bit while putzing around the apartment after work and before swapping anything out. After about an hour I sat listened to John Mayer Trio Live-Try! on CD. This cd is notoriuos for me to reach for the bass knob while played on other gear. The bass is boomy and muddy. The Dared helps a little and keeps it tolerable, but muddy, nonetheless. I listened to 3/4 of the cd and swapped out the Home Depot Monster knock-off cables for the Zebra cables. Well, I was floored. The first thing I noticed was the boomy, muddy bass was tightened up dramatically. I listened to the entire CD from the beginning again. The soundstage seemed wider and clarity improved. I wanted more, so I dropped in Alice in Chains-MTV Unplugged. I have had this CD for long time and know it well. I have heard strings rattling against frets before but the Zebra cables brought a "prescence" to the strings. It was going to be long night. Next up was Hot Tuna, recorded live at the New Orleans House, Berkley with the same results. Greater clarity, wider soundstage. I spent the better part of the 2 weeks relistening to several CDs, LPs and DVD concerts and I can not complain. These cables are next on my list of upgrades! :thmbsp:

disclaimer: no alcohol was abused during the first 3 days of demo-ing these cables!

Last edited:
Just wanted to let eveyrone know I now have the cables in-hand and will get out a review next week (Memorial Day is screwing up my schedule). Thanks Tonedeaf!

BTW I cannot promise the alcohol will not be abused! :beer: :D

Ok I have FINALLY been able to get down to reviewing these cables!

The first thing you notice is the weight. These babies are heavy for what they are, and represents the excellent construction used. I do have one bitch, the bannana connectors need a little more "spring". They dident seem to want to stay put in my speakers, though they never did fall out.
I compared these directly to the Speltz Anti-Cables and this may have been a bit unfair.
I played all the tracks listed below and then changed out the Speltz's and inserted the Zebras, which were used on the mid/tweeter ribbons of my Apogee's.
The first thing I noticed was a "tightening up" of the soundstage. It was not as expansive, though the detail level was on-par with the Anti's, to a point. Where the Zebras were lacking was in micro detail, and the ability to let the listener "sense" the sound field of a given recording. It was almost as if the very top octave was rolled off. This gave a most recordings a slighty shallower depth of field.
I then single wired the speakers with the Zebras (using jumpers from the woofer panels to the mr/t's) to see what the bass response was like. Here again detail was better than the 16 ga flat braided Radio Shack that I was using. However it became apparent that the lowest registers were, as with the top end, rolled off. Bass, though very nicely detailed lacked the "punch" that I was used to.

In summary, these are good cables, though if you have very "picky" speakers (Apogees are known to be a pain in the ass) you may notice the subtle differences that I found to be toward the negative side. I Found these to have very good upper bass/midrange detail. I thats what you are looking for these cables would be worth an audition.

Equipment used:

Amp: Bedini 150/150 MKII
Pre: Luxman C02
CD player: Marantz SA 8260
Speakers: Apogee Duetta II
IC's: Zebra Analog

Cd's used: ( Artist, Album, Track)
The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan, Life by the Drop.
Muddy Waters, Folk Singer, Big Leg Woman
Van Morrision, Moondance, Crazy Love
Spin Doctors, Pocket Full of Kryptonite, Forty or Fifty
Talking Heads, Naked, Flowers
Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat, Bird on a Wire
Blink 182, I Miss You (debut album?)

Franz - Cheap speakers have cheap wire inside. Today's good speakers have good wire inside. If you have vintage speakers, one thing you can do is rewire with good wire (I used DHLabs). Then start your cable hunt.

Back
Top Bottom