Zeiss Ikon ContaFlex III SLR

alexkerhead

To High For Infinity
I was out fleamarketing a few days ago, and stumbled on a ContaFlex III. Pretty Sweet camera..IMO
It is an early SLR with light meter and 50mm Zeiss lens.

Another baby for the display case.

Here are the pics.

Attachments

• contaflex_ziessikon_1.jpg
    contaflex_ziessikon_1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 20
  • contaflex_ziessikon_2.jpg
    contaflex_ziessikon_2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 16
I was out fleamarketing a few days ago, and stumbled on a ContaFlex III. Pretty Sweet camera..IMO
It is an early SLR with light meter and 50mm Zeiss lens.

Another baby for the display case.

Here are the pics.

It looks like it's in really nice shape.

Does it have a leaf shutter or a focal plane one? Both?

It looks like it's in really nice shape.

Does it have a leaf shutter or a focal plane one? Both?

It uses a leaf. The film is blocked by the mirror when the wind is not cocked. :) I was surprised by the condition as well, seeing as this camera is over 50 years old!

Hi,

Excellent cameras these Contaflexes are. The Tessar lensed versions are superb optically. If the shutter's working, why not run a few rolls through her and enjoy it? I like the Contaflex Super and Super B especially well. :drool:

Alex if this is anything like the Contaflex I I had do not ever attempt to remove the lens (I wanted to clean the rear element) the way the shutter is built around the lens makes it near impossible to reassemble. My repair guy with 40 years in the business had to give up after many hours of trying to get it back together sadly it's junk now.

By the way your camera is a Contaflex II 1954-58 early w/dual range meter later w/extended range meter. Book value on this camera is $75.00 - $100.00

The Contaflex 1 and III have no meters the II and IV have meters the depressed area on the meter door on yours shows it to be a II the IV has a raised section on the meter door.

Nice cameras.

Hi,

Excellent cameras these Contaflexes are. The Tessar lensed versions are superb optically. If the shutter's working, why not run a few rolls through her and enjoy it? I like the Contaflex Super and Super B especially well. :drool:

A Tessar was the thing to have for many, many years. :)

When Kent mentioned the Super model, I had to see one, so I did a search and fell in love with it. So, I got one off ebay. :D
Passed out $40 for it, but don't regret it at all.
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• a551_1.JPG
    a551_1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 10
  • a5e7_1.JPG
    a5e7_1.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 5
  • a67a_1.JPG
    a67a_1.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 3
I'd have to check model #, but my dad bought an old Contraflex when he was stationed in Germany eons ago. Mechanically, its a nightmare and he actually had a hard time finding someone that would work on it in the 70's when he still used it but finally didl. The camera doesn't work anymore (again) but looks good sitting on a shelf.

I studied Photojournalism in college and used a Cannon AE-1 Program. It was replaced by a used Contraflex 3 I picked up at a photo store in town. I still use it occasionally. It took better pictures than my AE-1, but the meter doesn't work.

I understand the mechanical nightmare. My Kuribayashi uses nearly an identical shutter system and timer. Took me hours to get to the iris, which was located behind the shutter and timer! I didn't think i'd get it back together, and the Contaflex is even more complex, because of the fact you have to disassemble the shutter system!

I have to fix the sluggish shutter in my contaflex super(the mechanism needs lubrication). Lubrication shouldn't be to bad, as I won't need to disassemble the shutter to do it.

I have to fix the sluggish shutter in my contaflex super(the mechanism needs lubrication). Lubrication shouldn't be to bad, as I won't need to disassemble the shutter to do it.

Be careful as to what lube you use on cameras. You might want to check with a camera repair shop as to what they recommend. Unless you have experience in this area I would leave it alone. Shutters work on very tight tolerances and the wrong lube will do more harm than to help.
Food for thought from my favorite photographic poster : "A butter knife is a useful tool for making minor adjustments that a camera store would charge $10 to make.
A camera store will charge $75 to repair a camera that has been adjusted with a butter knife."
:D

Hehe, not to worry. I will use NYE synthetic oil, and a set of kronus precision tools. No butter knives and bearing grease, I promise!

Back
Top Bottom