zener and other diodes

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by john stumpf, Mar 18, 2017 at 11:15 PM.

1. john stumpf

john stumpf AK Subscriber Subscriber

i have a general set of question's i'd like to ask and they dont apply to a particular pioneer set so i hope nobody gets upset. firstly, it would seem that most zeners are glass cased but not all. are other diodes glass cased as well? in other word's are all glass cased diodes zeners? and are some common rectifiers glass cased? in the absence of any data and markings save for anode and cathode can they be identified to voltage and wattage? im looking at a peak zen50 but with numerous you tubes they dont seem to answer my question's except for avalanche voltage. the tester data doesnt seem to deal with a zener that changes value with heat any input is welcome.

2. deltalight

deltalight AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just got my ZEN50. Seems to work fine. Semiconductor cases vary. Manufacturing costs, reliability, and application dictate what any given mfg with use. The ZEN50 scrolls through different test currents. I tested several 4.7V 500mW and 4.7V 1W zeners and saw that zener voltage varies according current range. You can heat up the zener during testing and watch the voltage change. You can also see the output voltage regulator that uses a zener for a reference in any given amp/receiver change after initial turn-on.

3. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

Look at the specification for a zener diode, it usually lists the zener voltage at a specific current.

Type of case is NOT predictive of anything other than possible upper power dissipation limits.

4. john stumpf

john stumpf AK Subscriber Subscriber

thanks mark what drove the question was something i am trying to repair, a module that no tech data exists for save at the manufacturer. in other words there are no specs that can be found.just the board itself