Detailman

Addicted to tweaking
Actually two questions.

In need of HZ16-L zener. Did some searches and found it means
16.3 to 17.1volt.
Are these readily available?

Also happen to have on hand an NOS radio shack pack of zeners
P/N276-1629.
These are from back in the day. Archer label on back with schematic.

Two different types but only says zener diodes and doesn't give values.

Very tiny writing which I can't read on the diodes themselves.

Is there a way to test the ones I have to determine their values?

You can test them. If you have a Power Supply, connect, say, a 4.7k resistor to the Cathode ( striped end) of the zener and the other end of the resistor to the power supply plus (+) terminal. Connect the Anode of the zener to the minus (-) of the power supply. Raise the power supply voltage to 10V. With a voltmeter, measure across the resitor. Raise the power supply voltage until you measure 4.7 volts accross the resistor. At this point, you'll be forcing 1mA and the zener is conducting. Now, measure across the zener diode. That is the zener diodes voltage.

You can test them. If you have a Power Supply, connect, say, a 4.7k resistor to the Cathode ( striped end) of the zener and the other end of the resistor to the power supply plus (+) terminal. Connect the Anode of the zener to the minus (-) of the power supply. Raise the power supply voltage to 10V. With a voltmeter, measure across the resitor. Raise the power supply voltage until you measure 4.7 volts accross the resistor. At this point, you'll be forcing 1mA and the zener is conducting. Now, measure across the zener diode. That is the zener diodes voltage.

Thanks Jon.

Step by step instruction. Just what I was in need of.
I do have a supply that's variable to 20v so I'll probably give it a shot.
Very valuable info.

John

Great education Jon.
Thank you very much for the class. Needless to say neither was what I need.
5.75v and 7.5v.
I need 16v as Avionic suggested.

Can zeners be seriesed to bump up voltage?

no prob:thmbsp: Yeah, those Rat Shak crap bags..... .......I bought one of those LED assortment bags. About half didn't work at all, I think the other half were dim. Cheap and a waste of money all at the same time.

no prob:thmbsp: Yeah, those Rat Shak crap bags..... .......I bought one of those LED assortment bags. About half didn't work at all, I think the other half were dim. Cheap and a waste of money all at the same time.

Just wanted to say thanks.
The ones I have are Archer label that were given to me by a friend who had gotten them when a rat shack went OB a few years ago.

I may series a couple and try it. I don't really need any other parts so shipping is a hindrance.

Common zener wattage ratings are 400mw to 5 watts. You need to know the watt rating of the original. If you don't know, make sure the new one is at least the same diameter and length as the old one. Also you can series them up to get the values. 2 x 8V/1 watt in series = 16V/2 watt. If you dig into the specs you find that around 4.7V is the most stable with respect to temperature.

Common zener wattage ratings are 400mw to 5 watts. You need to know the watt rating of the original. If you don't know, make sure the new one is at least the same diameter and length as the old one. Also you can series them up to get the values. 2 x 8V/1 watt in series = 16V/2 watt. If you dig into the specs you find that around 4.7V is the most stable with respect to temperature.

Thanks

More important info. A very educational thread and it's appreciated.

Originals are Hitachi 500mw devices, not 5 watters - replace them with 1N5246 or 1N5246B (500mW, 16V zeners) - sellers on eBay have them, and Mouser and Digi-Key both have them as well. Don't worry about any suffixes like "G" or the like - they are the RoHS "green devices" and will work equally fine.

Cheers,

I wasn't absolutely sure of wattage..So I went with the big guns...LOL

Some great info here. I'm thankful.

In my research the specs I found were for Hitachi 400mw 16.3-17.1v.
From what I've read here that's probably the minimum wattage made so any that will fit should be ok I guess.

Back
Top Bottom