Zener diode?

bhamham

Hey guys,

I blew out the zener diode in my 110v outlet strip when I plugged it to 240v by mistake - duh.

Anyway, the zenor has this marking on it ZNR V14201V SOO I've had a look for a replacement but can't seem to find one by searching for that number. Can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

Are you sure it's actually a zener ?... if it's in an AC power strip it's more likely to be a MOV - Metal Oxide Varistor - which is a bit different (back-to-back 'special' zeners actually).

However I found this http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/br...nsearch_001&Ntt=MOV&Ntx=&No=0&getResults=true

It seems your MOV was quite likely made by 'Littelfuse' - from the type number it suggests the clamping voltage is 142vac, they seem to be disk style mostly - perhaps your one looks like the ones in the link?

I nearly advised that you buy a new power strip, but these MOV's are so cheap maybe a replacement is OK. One thing, why don't you replace the MOV with a 240vac (+ a margin) rated one - you will still have some surge protection - and you won't blow the MOV up by connecting it to the higher voltage :scratch2:

Last edited:
It seems your MOV was quite likely made by 'Littelfuse' - from the type number it suggests the clamping voltage is 142vac, they seem to be disk style mostly - perhaps your one looks like the ones in the link?

I nearly advised that you buy a new power strip, but these MOV's are so cheap maybe a replacement is OK. One thing, why don't you replace the MOV with a 240vac (+ a margin) rated one - you will still have some surge protection - and you won't blow the MOV up by connecting it to the higher voltage :scratch2:

Many thanks, John. Yes, those in the link are identical. I run a few US items off that power strip that's hooked to a step-down tranny. Odd thing is my step-down has an identical US type outlet next to the 120 that's 240 - anyway, it's been taped 'off-limits' so hopefully it won't happen again.

Thanks for the link.

Bruce

Is the step down xmfr a home brew or has it been modified? No mfr would knowingly make an isolation xfmr using the same outlet for two different voltages. Receptacles are labeled for their application.

As for MOV's, this one did it's intended job. It failed catastrophically when hit with a sustained high voltage. A circuit breaker should have tripped during the process. It would not be wise to replace it with a higher voltage MOV.

Is the step down xmfr a home brew or has it been modified? No mfr would knowingly make an isolation xfmr using the same outlet for two different voltages. Receptacles are labeled for their application.

Here's the one I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/750-W-Watt-Step...QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

As for MOV's, this one did it's intended job. It failed catastrophically when hit with a sustained high voltage. A circuit breaker should have tripped during the process. It would not be wise to replace it with a higher voltage MOV.

I won't replace with a higher voltage one.

Thanks.

In retrospect, I can see the higher voltage MOV idea wasn't too good, as if it happens again (heaven forbid) the equipment plugged in will have no chance.

My apologies.

Back
Top Bottom