Zenith Trans Oceanic

morewatts

Neighbor found these in his parent's closet. 2 units. Looks to be missing some pieces. Maybe enough to build one complete unit?
Are these of some value to anyone?
i-7RnvmZp-L.jpg

i-B2qDcPr-L.jpg

i-GWpPdj5-L.jpg

Carl

Ok for shortwave listening. Some fun & wild discussions on shortwave as it is not well regulated by the powers in charge.

There's an entire group of hams and SWL'ers who lovingly restore those models.

You might want to check Videokarma's Vintage TV & Radio forums.

You can also hit www.QRZ.com's forums and those for eHam.net, too.

Cheers,

David

David, I'll try a cross post over in the section. Oops, I'll need a new account over there. sigh.
Can anyone tell me exactly what this thing is? Just a big shortwave radio? Will it be worth the cost to ship it to someone?
Carl

Last edited:
It is a big, AC-DC vacuum tube portable multi-band (AM) radio. They're reasonably collectible -- nice and beautiful portable radios.

With an upgraded battery pack, these are great for sitting under your favorite shade tree with a cold beverage listening to a baseball game... My idea of life in the fast lane... These radios are pretty common on the bay and imo worth a restore...

The big stumbling block with T/Os is often the converter tube...a 1L6. The very definition of unobtanium. There ARE workarounds...putzy but usually worth it. If the bottom set has a good 1L6 inside its value has probably quintupled.

The big stumbling block with T/Os is often the converter tube...a 1L6. The very definition of unobtanium. There ARE workarounds...putzy but usually worth it. If the bottom set has a good 1L6 inside its value has probably quintupled.

That's a problem for a fact. I was able to get a NOS for mine and the old (measures OK-original tube) is now the back-up!

Best Regards,
TerryO

I almost bought a TO last year, but thought better of it at the last minute. Aside from the 1L6, are there any other major items that make them difficult to restore?

And do all models share the 1L6?

They are really not any harder than any other old radio to restore. No, the 1L6 was only in a couple of models. I've always been fond of the 3000 series from around 1963. Solid state, sounds better, and FM too. I've probably had six over the years. Never paid over $35 for one, and every one worked when I got. Wait, I take that back, one had a loose transistor (they use plug ins).

No matter which one, usually a few filter caps is all you need to get them running good if they are not already. Great radio.

These are fantastic radios. The antenna "wave magnet" detaches from the cover and there should be some suction cups in the back to mount it on a wall or something. There were also clips in the back to hold spare tubes. It was very well thought out and designed, which is why they still have a following today I would imagine. I have two, and the little brother to them. Here's one way to get around the 1L6.

Attachments

• 1L6.JPG
    1L6.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 31
These are fantastic radios and in their day the best of the best. I think yours are something like the B500 model, could be wrong as there are not my strong suit. I have the transistorized Version R3000, think it is the model sitting with the typical ouut problems. Kept thinking one day I.would get it fixed as it is in reasonably good condition otherwise.

These are among the last tube models made, from roughly 1951-62. The Soiled-State T/Os were made starting in 1958, so there was an overlap where you could go w/the traditional tube set, or the new-fangled transistors. T/Os were EXPENSIVE when new, & as such, often didn't see the rough treatment other cheaper sets did. I have 2 of the Tooob models, & one transistor model w/FM, from 1971..

Those really look like less than one whole radio. They look like parts units for sure

I have a B600 I did basic restoration on and it works great. It warms up very fast. Cleaning the tuner cap made reception nice and clean

You can hear some crazy stuff on SW late at night

Last edited:
Thought you guys might want to check out the TO's lil brother. You still get the suction cups and detachable wave magnet antenna, but it's only AM. I'm thinking about giving it a go on some DXing. The dial now is set to KCMO in St. Louis.

Attachments

• zld 001.jpg
    zld 001.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 14
  • zld 008.jpg
    zld 008.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 12
  • zld 002.jpg
    zld 002.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 12
  • zld 003.jpg
    zld 003.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 16
Thought you guys might want to check out the TO's lil brother. You still get the suction cups and detachable wave magnet antenna, but it's only AM. I'm thinking about giving it a go on some DXing. The dial now is set to KCMO in St. Louis.

These can kick some serious butt. I used to one one with an external antenna strung on the roof of the apartment house where I grew up. About 70' high with nothing higher surrounding us and about 125' long. Not even my Hallicrafters could keep up with it.

The antenna was good enough that it was easy to get into Boston to listen to the ball games using a crystal set; about 80 miles south. On a good night I remember picking up a Toronto AM station with the crystal set; subbed in the Zenith and it was like the station was next door and listened to some great music; them were the good old days before they start screwing with AM broadcasting.

I am probably wrong but, I was always of the opinion Zenith engineering in the radio department was some of the best.

These can kick some serious butt. I used to one one with an external antenna strung on the roof of the apartment house where I grew up. About 70' high with nothing higher surrounding us and about 125' long. Not even my Hallicrafters could keep up with it.

The antenna was good enough that it was easy to get into Boston to listen to the ball games using a crystal set; about 80 miles south. On a good night I remember picking up a Toronto AM station with the crystal set; subbed in the Zenith and it was like the station was next door and listened to some great music; them were the good old days before they start screwing with AM broadcasting.

I am probably wrong but, I was always of the opinion Zenith engineering in the radio department was some of the best.

I whole heartily agree. I have a Zenith stand up (1936 I believe) with a wave magnet "box" antenna in the back that you can turn to point it. It easily picks up English stations overseas, and others that I can't understand the language, maybe German. I've often wondered what it would do with a proper outdoor long wire or the like.

A few of my 'other' toys. The Heathkit SW7800 in the middle is my SWL radio. I fixed the too slow AGC, changed an audio transistor operating parameters for better audio and increased the audio coupling caps for better low end response. I also installed Schottky detector diodes for a lower noise floor with increased sensitivity. I passed on higher-end op-amps though. It is only a SWL receiver.

And, I am a SS person with regard to HF receivers (traitor).

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2211.jpg
    IMG_2211.jpg