Zenith Tube Radio S-58040 Schematic please

Tubeglowpio

Hi everyone, was wondering if anyone had a schematic for a zenith S-58040, want to fix this baby up nice. I'll post pics when done. Thank you!

Not finding anything on that in Riders or Sams. Can you confirm the model number or chassis number? Possible the number that is really needed is stamped onto the chassis someplace.

It's for the radio in the pic, I'll try to pull the chassis out tonight if needed. Thanks!

Attachments

• zen.jpg
    zen.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 14
I've owned hundreds of old radios and only aligned less than a dozen. To me, it's a PITA and next to impossible to do correctly without a signal generator and a scope. Replace all the paper and electrolytic caps first, test the tubes, replace any that are really really weak, then see what it does.

One possible problem is many radios, of this vintage, suffer from "SMD" or silver mica disease. What this basically is, is an oxidation of the open mica capacitors inside the RF and IF transformer cans, which can create serious reception issues. It mostly effects radios from about 1955 on. It can be fixed, but is a little tricky. Google silver mica disease to get an idea of what you are looking at. If you are having reception, and/or sensitivity problems, this could be what's going on. 15 years ago, almost no one had dealt with it yet, but it's common now.

Last edited:
I've owned hundreds of old radios and only aligned less than a dozen. To me, it's a PITA and next to impossible to do correctly without a signal generator and a scope. Replace all the paper and electrolytic caps first, test the tubes, replace any that are really really weak, then see what it does.

One possible problem is many radios, of this vintage, suffer from "SMD" or silver mica disease. What this basically is, is an oxidation of the mica capacitors inside the RF and IF transformer cans, which can create serious reception issues. It mostly effects radios from about 1955 on. It can be fixed, but is a little tricky. Google silver mica disease to get an idea of what you are looking at. If you are having reception, and/or sensitivity problems, this could be what's going on. 15 years ago, almost no one had dealt with it yet, but it's common now.
Thanks for the input, I am aware of the sad disease. I believe this radio was made in 1954 but not positive. Anyways I picked it up at a swap for 10 bucks, the thing works but need a recap and some resistors and maybe a tube or two replaced. Luckily I'm in Arizona so the oxidation doesn't seem as bad here. I've seen Shango on youtube tackle the mica issue and it does look like a real pain but it would be nice to use this radio here and there, maybe put a dial light in as well, I dig the look.

Then fix her up. But I would start with the usual culprits. The paper and electrolytic capacitors.

Sure will, yeah going to take care of the selenium rectifier too. Those are ticking time bombs. I see you're from Minnesota, I grew up there. Always miss the fall up there.

yep, the usual suspects will fix it most of the time. Unless someone has been in there with the magic screwdriver, the alignment is usually still plenty good enough for it to work fine.

Sure will, yeah going to take care of the selenium rectifier too. Those are ticking time bombs. I see you're from Minnesota, I grew up there. Always miss the fall up there.
Best part is probably over though. 25 tonight. I'm way up Nort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom