Zenith VR2300

Rockin' Kat

Rockin' Kats
Hi,

I got this VCR while looking for video games at a thriftstore... I don't usually buy audio/video equipment unless I find something unusual since I'm pretty much set for that for now.... I think it was $7.99 and didn't eat the tape I stuck in it...few months ago now....

I don't really know a whole lot about it.... I'm guessing it's a 4-head VCR..right?

VHS Hi-Fi HQ... What's the difference between a VCR with HQ and one without HQ? I have two RCA top loading Hi-Fi selectavisions.

What's really cool about it is it has a remote sensor, but it doesn't seem to have a function that can't be accessed/set without remote(which is good cuz I don't have one).. has a membrain keypad that flips down to reveal more buttons and switches... I've never seen a side-loading VCR before.

All buttons/switches appear to work.... though sometimes if I have the levels on it makes clicking noises on audio for certain channels when using the tuner.

Record quality seems nice even on EP

I was wondering if this is a good VCR and maybe if it'd be worth it to take it to a shop to get that weird clicking noise checked/worked out.

zenith.jpg

On other note, this is my first post here... I actually found this forum by google searching the model of my VCR... but got a broken link....

Hi, and welcome aboard. Things aren't as active on the video side of things here as the audio which the main focus, but there are a few of us that are into video / HT as well.

Zenith did make some very good stuff back then although some of it is a little quircky. I have a VR4000 (at least I think that's the model # I'd have to go look to be sure) which was their TOTL unit about the same time as your 2300 and it was one of the best consumer decks available back then. Excellent picture and sound quality (at least for VHS). It's built like a tank and still running strong after more than 20 years and unknown thousands of hours of use. Not only can you do everything from the control panel on the deck that you can do from the remote, some of the functions can only be done on the deck. As far as whether or not it's worth getting fixed that's a tough call. With so many people making the switch to DVD and Tivo, decent VCRs are almost literally 'a dime a dozen' these days. That makes it hard to justify spending the money to get even a pretty good VCR repaired when you can probably replace it for less. But if you like it (and it is rather unusual), and you'll actually use it, then it might be worth getting it checked over. Good luck with it either way.

Back
Top Bottom