Zenith Y960 - Is $1200 worth it....

robbieg83

Hello,

I've been in contact with a reputable console and vinyl shop who say they just got their hands on a Y960. The cabinet is in "excellent condition, it was a one owner piece and it is fully functional." This one has the heavier larger cabinet with the more powerful amp, belt-drive changer and bigger speakers than the Y931 I reached out to them asking about. He is asking $1200 for it which includes servicing but not shipping.

I'm new to the forum, but became a member because I wanted to locate a Zenith Louver door. I plan to buy one and never let it go, but I want something that is highly sought after or will be; a real collectors item. My preference was the slightly older tubed version of this but I have been told that the earlier solid state console from Zenith were actually quite good. So I am willing to over look the fact it is a SS in exchange for the ease of maintenance; as long as I am getting something that will become more valuable with time. My questions are these:

Is $1200 too high for a Y960 in excellent condition. If so, what is a reasonable going price for these lately? And is this the kind of collector model of Zenith that I have been hoping for, or should I stick to tube; I have read in the forum it typically tube or nothing else. If not any suggestions on what I should hold out for?

I'll upload pictures when the shop emails them; hopefully very soon!

Last edited:
The Y960 sounds better than any tube console and I am a tube guy. Worth it? that is up to you, they have sold for that in the past (mostly LA area). If it really has been serviced that would be a plus.

So far I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I'm going to offer $1000 and hope to settle in the middle. I'm still open to additional advice, suggestions or better deals if anyone else has some!

Price seems very high, even for MCM. My sister picked one up for $100 at an estate sale. I saw one offered for $10 at another sale 20 yrs. ago.

This model of Zenith is fairly common in my area (Chicago). I see a couple at estate sales every year. Prices here are typically in the $150-300 range.

While they are cool looking and sound nice, they are huge which limits the demand. IMO $300 for a nice one that's in good working condition.

I love MCM styling, and the Zenith is a nice one. Unfortunately, it's another one that opens from the top, so you can't set a TV on top of it, or even wall-mount the TV unless you like it very high to see when the lid is up.

Back
Top Bottom