Zero cost improvement to speaker performance!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MonoMania, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MonoMania

MonoMania New Member

Almost too obvious to mention, but sometimes the obvious is overlooked:

Periodically tighten (don't over-tighten) any screws on the exterior of the cabinet!

I rebuilt a pair a few years back, listened to them on a regular basis, but never gave them much thought after I set them on their stands. Gradually I was finding them less satisfying, noticing muddiness in the bass, poorer soundstaging, etc, but hadn't gotten around to investigating...

It wasn't until a rattle developed on certain bass notes that the lightbulb went on.

Every screw had been fully tightened a couple years ago, but between the vibration of the cabinet and the expansion/contraction from temperature every single screw on the driver baskets and the rear connector panel had loosened by at least a half-turn, allowing some air to escape around the caulking.

After re-tightening, everything snapped right back into focus: sound staging back, bass no longer muddy!

From now on I'll be remembering to include this in my maintenance routine!

*Of course, not all speakers will have this problem with fasteners, but mine did.
    *Be careful not to over-tighten screws, to avoid bending baskets or warping plastic parts.

Hopefully someone out there will find this useful.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    John James, asilker and Wildcat like this.
  2. MonoMania

MonoMania New Member

Feel free to add your own "Zero Cost" and/or "Ridiculously Obvious" speaker tips to this thread!

asilker likes this.
  3. MurrayLives

MurrayLives Born to lose, live to win Subscriber

Get your woofers closer to the floor for better bass. Aim your tweeters over your head to elevate the soundstage.

asilker likes this.
  4. jberger

jberger AK Subscriber Subscriber

When stripping speaker wires, leave the positive wire (or marked conductor) approximately 1.5" longer on each end than the negative wire. That way, you'll always know how to get your wiring in phase without looking for the stripe/marking/insulation color.

This also has the benefit of reducing the chance of shorting the speaker wires, since the tips are farther apart and less likely to touch.

The 3" difference in wire length is negligible.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    stish, gdmoore28, fishondwan and 4 others like this.
  5. gizzyman47

gizzyman47 Super Member

Get speakers out of corners (unless made to perform there). Also, move them out into the room some. Let them breath. If you move them out from the wall, keep the distance from the side walls a different distance than the wall behind the speakers.

E.Man and MonoMania like this.
  6. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

Increase volume.

Spitfirejoe, CLB3, malden and 4 others like this.
  7. audiosignal

audiosignal Member

Flipping the woofers 180 degrees to reverse sagging.

gdmoore28, asilker and MonoMania like this.
  8. MonoMania

MonoMania New Member

Never heard or thought of that... Makes sense though! How often do you do it? Yearly?

9. audiosignal

audiosignal Member

Yearly would be good, in theory. However, considering risk of stripping the mdf / wood, I'll just do once every 5-10yrs or when refurbishing.

10. dcmfan

dcmfan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Listen at night. After the rest of the family is in bed and the house is quiet.

11. scoloheros

scoloheros Active Member

It's not quite "0" cost, but all it took was some glue. I found a pair of speakers that sounded blown, there was a rattle at higher volume. It was only the baffle that had come unglued, some glue along the outer edge is all it took to fix it.

12. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

In some cases, remove the grill/cloth while listening. Not suggested with kids and/or pets.

MonoMania likes this.
  13. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

If you wear glasses, remove them while listening. They create a diffraction pattern about your head.

Also if possible, listen in the dark or at least close your eyes. The removal of other "cues" will heighten your perception of hearing and expand the soundstage.

14. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

Clean your ear canals every once in a while.

CLB3, stish, MonoMania and 1 other person like this.
  15. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Addicted Member

16. Poultrygeist

Some drivers improve in SQ with a dust cap circumcision. This Eminence Beta 12LTA is a prime example.

P5200004.JPG

17. Poultrygeist

The famous "98 Cent Tweak" consists of placing polyfill behind a whizzer cone. After rolling it in your hands wrap it around the whizzer underside and it should stay in place. Cleans up upper midrange honk.

18. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

If your cabs are a nice wood veneer, oil them once a year. Keeps the wood glowing!

19. jberger

Turn all of the lights off and listen in complete darkness.

20. jberger

Hot water and alcohol in a WaterPik on low power setting (using a separate pick, obviously).

darkblue94 likes this.