Zero treble output

juanjavier

I have got two Sansui cassette decks, which used to work fine up until yesterday.

Today, upon playing them, they work and do sound, however ***NO TREBLE** comes out. Sound is horrible...nothing beyond
mid tones....in both decks!! How is it possible to completely lose treble output **in both decks**?

I have got them placed in rack, on top of a Sansui amplifier. Bottom is the amplifier, mid is Sansui D-100, top is Sansui D-90.

Are chances the heads got magnetized? Simply by placing them on top of the amplifier?

I tried cleaning the heads of both decks with cotton buds, but to no avail.

What should I do?

a) Both decks shows the symptomps by connectiong headphones directly to each phones output in each deck.

b) I tried with a vast array of different tapes in mint condition.

Any other suggestion about what would be going on?

Regards...

If in doubt I would take one of the decks and place them away from the rack. Use a demagnetizer and do the heads. Put in a tape and try it.

I did read somewhere that if a head ever get to strongly magnetized it is a gonner.

If in doubt I would take one of the decks and place them away from the rack. Use a demagnetizer and do the heads. Put in a tape and try it.

I did read somewhere that if a head ever get to strongly magnetized it is a gonner.

----Thanks, Satcom!! It turned to be an offending tape that, played in both units, left a path of shit throughout all the travelling path (heads, capstan and pinch roller) in both decks, because the tape was played in both. Both rec/pb heads showed a horrible spot of shit, surely left by that tape.

Cleaning carefully ***all the path mechanism*** in both decks solved the issue.

Best regards to everyone that helped.

Glad to hear you solved the issue.

Just another good reminder to do the basics first-like clean the heads (in this case), before moving up the chain to more exotic remedies like hunting down bad electronic components.

Thanks for posting your solution

Yes. My bad. I am happy to hear it was only gummed up heads. Sometimes I think the worse case before standing back a while and think about the easy stuff first. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom