Zerodust vs Magic Eraser

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by misterjones, Jun 25, 2016.

?

Magic Eraser vs Zerodust (or Equivalent) vs Liquids

Poll closed Jul 2, 2016.
  1. Zerodust (or basic equivalent like Moongel)

44.4%
  2. Magic Eraser

27.0%
  3. both

15.9%
  4. neither

6.3%
  5. additionally use liquid cleaners

28.6%
  6. only use liquid cleaners

6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. woofmytweets

woofmytweets AK Subscriber Subscriber

oh, i'm not concerned....mostly because the bulk pack of knockoff MEs that i bought, and my turntable cartridge together cost about the same as a nice dinner.

Also that the humble magic erases has it's own AK acronym, ME, speaks volumes to its effectiveness.

2. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

And a very small brush....

3. ehoove

ehoove Old & New - Carpe Diem Super Mod Subscriber

Let's get this back on the tracks folks! Why does it alway dissolve to this level, This is not about world hunger or Armageddon for goodness sake!
    Regards,
    Jim

cratz2, sfox52, onwardjames and 3 others like this.
  4. ripblade

ripblade Super Member

I know someone who did this to a Benz Wood. Forgot he wasn't using a brush and went with a sweeping motion instead of a dip. End of stylus.

5. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Good god....some of you would positively fill your pants if you saw me using one of those dollar store "sticky hands" things to dunk my stylus. :eek:

Of course, it's only a humble M7N21D and/or M3. Certainly not anything like those amazing carts 427 posted. How I'd LOVE to hear those. :idea:

Maybe one day.

4-2-7 and hi*ball like this.
  6. grundig2k

grundig2k New Member

Magic Eraser for me. Works great. No ill effects.

7. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

Oh yah !

What kind of magic eraser and who makes it if you mind me asking ????

8. grundig2k

grundig2k New Member

I use the Mr. clean brand. I cut a little piece off. then cut that in half so it's not as tall. just a few needle drops using the manual lever. Nothing crazy.

Djcoolray likes this.
  9. honestabe316

honestabe316 Oh Chief! - Jane Hathaway

I use ME on my Stanton 681SE...ice started using it on my new Ortofon 2m black....light dip 2 or 3 times never a problem....I want to try moongel as a secondary......is it as good as zerodust? Elusive and musicdirect have zerodust for $39 reg $68.....but moongel $6.99......

10. honestabe316

If

11. DeeCee

DeeCee Super Member

Recently switched from Extreme Stylus cleaner to Zerodust; the Extreme was fine, however the case was absolute torture to work with (nearly impossible to open). When in a semi-closed position (to kill the wrestling aspect) it leaked.

So when Zerodust lowered the price to the same for the Extreme, I jumped ship and it's been excellent (thus far).

12. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

Moongel has gone up in price since this thread was started:idea:.
    Was $4.99 when I bought it.

13. honestabe316

I ordered some on eBay last night for $5 and change with free delivery.....the cantilever on my Ortofon 2m black is so much thinner than in the Stanton 681SE that I am more concerned using the ME.....I think I'll keep using it but with a much more delicate touch

14. noisefreq

noisefreq Active Member

Been a magic eraser man for a year or two. But I've noticed that m.e. can start to break down and leave crumbles on the cantilever. A new piece will rectify this but;
    I bought a pack of moongel from the local instrument shop and I can report excellent results.
    I don't leave it out on the plinth like m.e. so it takes a little bit of time to use but it works great.

15. Mister Pig

Mister Pig Pigamus Maximus Subscriber

As a general warning, I have read an experience where the liquid from Moongel moved up a cantilever and encrusted and damaged the inner workings of a moving coil cartridge. It was supposedly unrepairable. Given that story, I think I will stick with Zerodust and not chance it. Not sure it concerns others but for myself I am going to take the safest approach I can.

Regards
    Mister Pig

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  16. honestabe316

This would be the first negative result from using moongel that I've read......it seems that ME , Moongel and zerodust are generally safe if not used incorrectly like pushing the cantilever and stylus into any of these options.....I think if just the natural weight of the cartridge is used you should be ok in 99.99% of the time.....I mean there are always exceptions to the rule but that's life.....

17. fizzgig

fizzgig Well-Known Member

I can confirm this report and can provide details if needed. Basically the diamond went missing and it was thought that the moongel caused it. Oils were found on the cantilever.

That being said, I don't have the best stylus, a m91ed Jico SAS. I haven't had any issues with moongel whatsoever after a few years. I regularly check my stylus using microscope. No oils.

18. honestabe316

If you think about this logically.....the ME should scrape the large stuff off or loosen it and then a follow up with the gel should retain any micro particles....I use the word scrape for the lack of a gentler, kinder word.....it's too bad that there wasn't a way to simply blast a regulated amount of air at the tip after each use to remove 1 album side worth of dust....I think this would work if you always played clean records as dust on its own is less clingy than crud

19. Spinning45s

Spinning45s Active Member

I certainly don't use Zerodust or Magic Eraser on records. As for audio components, I keep them covered when not in use. So, any needed cleaning is done by a simple dusting.

20. honestabe316

The less physical contact the better

fizzgig likes this.